Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

License application and the 3 month auto-refusal

• 11-02-2019 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

I have an application in since Dec 2nd last year. I found out Saturday that it hasn't even left the FO's in tray yet. So, I'm a little worried of how close to the 3 month limit I'm getting.

How hard and fast do the Gardai tend to be with this particular 3 month rule? The FO seemed to think that it was 3 months from when it went upstairs to the Supers office. I always thought it was from the date on the application.

Should I start pushing harder to get this application moving? Or is it more prudent to give a gentle nudge and wait it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

alanmc wrote: »
    I have an application in since Dec 2nd last year. I found out Saturday that it hasn't even left the FO's in tray yet. So, I'm a little worried of how close to the 3 month limit I'm getting.

How hard and fast do the Gardai tend to be with this particular 3 month rule? The FO seemed to think that it was 3 months from when it went upstairs to the Supers office. I always thought it was from the date on the application.

Should I start pushing harder to get this application moving? Or is it more prudent to give a gentle nudge and wait it out?
    That 3 month thing is a load of bull, never listened to. Keep putting the FO under pressure. Ring daily if you have to, till he gets the finger out. After that ring the supers clerk and ask to make an appointment to see him. Then the FO will get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

garv123 wrote: »
    That 3 month thing is a load of bull, never listened to. Keep putting the FO under pressure. Ring daily if you have to, till he gets the finger out. After that ring the supers clerk and ask to make an appointment to see him. Then the FO will get the finger out.

Absolutely. Put the spurs to him or her whichever. Don't lose your cool though. Be assertive but not pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

It's really from the date on the application form, next to your signature.
    However, In the past I have had certs issued 5 months after the application date. I also never (ever) receive the first letters telling me it's being processed, but no harm as all I want is the cert itself.

It's not always a No or bad news scenario when the Cert is late, just poor administrative systems that probably frustrate the average cop as much as they do us.

Not much consolation when you're waiting though !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I always recieve my license before the letter telling me they have recieved my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Lads if your an NARGC member and worried contact the fund admin, as he has smoothed over a couple of things up our way and lads are now licensed and sleeping better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Some supers and chief supers let the 4 months (3 mths + 30 days for appeal) in order to block your appeal. Judges have copped on to this and extend time in most cases. Your 3 mths runs from the day you hand in your renewals and they should confirm receipt of and that your applications do not require anymore details within 10days.

I think there is another illegal coup in progress to get rid of more firearms especially restricted ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Not if your Solicitor is anyway good, they won't. This is old hat , that we have seen in the oughties in DC courts. They might extend it once, with an admonition to the Super in question to get the thumb out. But twice or three times, the judge will probably grant the license himself,if you Solr is worth his salt.

Happened in Limerick with my 1st appeal. Three extensions and the Guards never showed up for any of them. The judge lost it with a new guy that was there on his first day in court representing the Cheif, with no briefing whatsoever and granted all licenses there and then.:)

Remember too, they now have the sword hanging over them, that if they lose, they are liable for costs as well.So they have to weigh up their cost of faffing us around too much. Costs these days, as I have been led to understand, have gone up a tad in our legal professions side into double figures ever since it has become statue legislation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Some supers and chief supers let the 4 months (3 mths + 30 days for appeal) in order to block your appeal. Judges have copped on to this and extend time in most cases. Your 3 mths runs from the day you hand in your renewals and they should confirm receipt of and that your applications do not require anymore details within 10days.

I think there is another illegal coup in progress to get rid of more firearms especially restricted ones.

I don't think this is the case in my local station at all. I think it's just the case of a new Seargent doing the FO role and getting behind at it.

I'll give them another call this afternoon and see if anything had moved along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bigman420

Waited 8 months for my first license, kept pressure on the FO and nothing was done so I went to the super and was told it was never given to him. After speaking with him I had it within two weeks

After a few "drop-ins" to the station, I think the FO just wanted me to go away, so he sent my application up to the Super last week. Here's hoping it comes through soon. I'm at the 3 month mark tomorrow.

The FO still maintains that it's 3 months from when it hits the Supers in tray.

Regardless, it's on the move, so I'm not going to worry about it for another while anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

After a few "drop-ins" to the station, I think the FO just wanted me to go away, so he sent my application up to the Super last week. Here's hoping it comes through soon. I'm at the 3 month mark tomorrow.

Regardless, it's on the move, so I'm not going to worry about it for another while anyway.

The three month thing is whatever they want it to be. There's no accountability in that organisation for not doing your job and processing the applications in a timely manner.

That said, I've had dealings with plenty of good, efficient Gardaí. Nearly all of my dealings were positive to be honest.

Probably like every organisation, some people are just lazy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Only had this conversation with a chap in the last 24 hours, but it's been said umpteen times on the forum.

The AGS deem the process started or more accurately the application received when they begin to process it. So it [the application] can sit for a week, month, few months, etc. and when they start to process it and enter it onto pulse is when it's recorded.

Its why during the Dail hearings a few years back we argueed strongly against the claim from AGS that they process 95% of applications within the 3 month time frame. They record those stats based on what i've said above, yet the law says it's when the application is submitted (when we drop it in).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Cass wrote: »
    Only had this conversation with a chap in the last 24 hours, but it's been said umpteen times on the forum.

The AGS deem the process started or more accurately the application received when they begin to process it. So it [the application] can sit for a week, month, few months, etc. and when they start to process it and enter it onto pulse is when it's recorded.

Its why during the Dail hearings a few years back we argueed strongly against the claim from AGS that they process 95% of applications within the 3 month time frame. They record those stats based on what i've said above, yet the law says it's when the application is submitted (when we drop it in).

'The law's an asal' sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭lefthooker

kay 9 wrote: »
    'The law's an asal' sometimes

It’s only an ass because of the interpretation that’s afforded to each Super and their reluctance to adhere to their own commissioners guidelines. All the work is carried out by the FPO, if and when it lands in his/her office. The super just needs to sign off.

One example, like for like substitutions. Should be completed by the FPO, no need to involve a Super. Surrender your gun to a dealer, bring details of the new gun to the FPO, he logs them onto the system. Job done. Go collect your gun. No faffing around for weeks or months without your licensed firearm.

Another current speed bump is the large number of renewals bring processed atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

lefthooker wrote: »
    It’s only an ass because of the interpretation that’s afforded to each Super and their reluctance to adhere to their own commissioners guidelines. All the work is carried out by the FPO, if and when it lands in his/her office. The super just needs to sign off.

One example, like for like substitutions. Should be completed by the FPO, no need to involve a Super. Surrender your gun to a dealer, bring details of the new gun to the FPO, he logs them onto the system. Job done. Go collect your gun. No faffing around for weeks or months without your licensed firearm.

Another current speed bump is the large number of renewals bring processed atm.

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread - I have never done a substitution before so not aware of the process. I ASSUMED you bought the new firearm and held on to the old one until the substiution came through, then you handed in the old firearm to your RFD and picked up the new one.
    Do you mean to tell me that when you do a sub you have to hand your existing firearm in when you BUY the new firearm meaning you could have nothing to deal with foxs, crows etc until the AGS pull their finger out and get it processed.
    If thats the case that is barking mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Croohur wrote: »
    Sorry to slightly hijack the thread - I have never done a substitution before so not aware of the process. I ASSUMED you bought the new firearm and held on to the old one until the substiution came through, then you handed in the old firearm to your RFD and picked up the new one.
    Do you mean to tell me that when you do a sub you have to hand your existing firearm in when you BUY the new firearm meaning you could have nothing to deal with foxs, crows etc until the AGS pull their finger out and get it processed.

In a word, woof woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

lefthooker wrote: »
    In a word, woof woof.
    Jesus H. Christ. And then they have the cheek to ask you why would you need more than one gun.
    That makes no sense at all.

I was always allowed keep my current firearm, the licence is still valid until the new one is issued.

I ASSUMED you bought the new firearm and held on to the old one until the substiution came through, then you handed in the old firearm to your RFD and picked up the new one.
    Correct.

Your license, for the old gun, stays in effect for two weeks after the sub to allow for cancellation, change of mind, problems, etc.

That bit aside you are still licensed on the old gun until the new license is received by you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Regarding a Substitution - isn't that supposed to be dealt with within 14 days? not the full 3 months? (taking it that there is no change in caliber etc)

• Advertisement

Yes.

It doesn't say whether it's 14 working days or not so allow them three full weeks (including weekends) and then after that you can start to call and ask where it is.

Still no word on my application. I'm past the 3 months now. At the risk of pissing them off, I'm going to give the Supers office a call again tomorrow. It's getting a little annoying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

If rebarreling a gun would you use the FCA2 form?

BryanL wrote: »
    If rebarreling a gun would you use the FCA2 form?

To the same caliber with a different serial number, then yes. Just to chnage the serial if indeed you are changing the serial.

If the old barrel is being destroyed and the new barrel is having the same serial, then there should be no need to do anything.

To the same caliber with a different serial number, then yes. Just to chnage the serial if indeed you are changing the serial.

If the old barrel is being destroyed and the new barrel is having the same serial, then there should be no need to do anything.

Most barrels dont have a serial number. The action does, nothing stopping someone owning multiple barrels of the same calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Most barrels dont have a serial number. The action does, nothing stopping someone owning multiple barrels of the same calibre.

This is for an airgun, usually the number is on the barrel rather than the other way around. B

All of my rifles have the serial number on the barrel. I had to submit a FCA2 when changing barrel on my 308 just to change the serial number. Was done in no time at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Still no word on my application. I'm past the 3 months now. At the risk of pissing them off, I'm going to give the Supers office a call again tomorrow. It's getting a little annoying now.

Errrrr....NO! YOU should be the one pissed off!! Remember, they are there for us, not vice versa. Going by their publicity blurb. You have done your bit to acquire your license.THEY are the ones at fault, as the ball is firmly in their court.
    So don't be afraid of stating your case or being somewhat annoyed at their failures.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

All of my rifles have the serial number on the barrel. I had to submit a FCA2 when changing barrel on my 308 just to change the serial number. Was done in no time at all though.

So basically, your rifle has one serial number on the receiver and an entirely different one on the barrel. How does that work out?

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    So basically, your rifle has one serial number on the receiver and an entirely different one on the barrel. How does that work out?

Who said there was a serial number on the receiver?

Advertisement