Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Crime Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Found another good one..
    "Crime Junkie".
    I tried "Small Town Murder" which had potential but the main narrator's sidekick got on my nerves giggling at every single frickin' thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I've listened to 2 crime junkie podcasts so far. Really enjoyable.

Also the uk true crime podcast is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Slumberland

Most of the ones I listen to have already been recommended in this thread but give True Crime Sweden a try. I also like Crimes of Passion. Both narrated by a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Started listening to one called "Root of Evil" which is kind of about the Black Dahlia murder and also kind of about a really messed up family.

Recently listened to;

The Teachers Pet - amazing story, bit drawn out and the Australian accents are veeery stong.
    The Lady Vanished - again, annoying Australian accents but the story is tenuous and goes nowhere.
    The Skrink Next Door - very interesting, not murder/gore, more about a moral issue and abuse of power
    Dr Death - this actually hinges on whether the case is criminal or merely negligent or incompetent, but amazing how it happened.
    The man in the Window - about the Golden State Killer, a bit procedural, but it gave a voice to a lot of his victims and was insightful as to how rapes were treated back in the 70's and 80's and societal attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I have to bump up Men’s Rea again.

Mostly Irish stories that you already know .. but the level of detail is amazing .
    Highly recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 McTJES

My Top True Crime Podcasts

Mens Rea
    Casefile was the first true crime podcast i listened too and love it
    Canadian True Crime - I'm fairly new to it but the narrator is easy to listen too
    The Shrink Next Door - enjoyed it - different
    22 Hours
    Covert - have only done the Osama Bin Laden one but really interesting
    Bear Brook
    Dr Death
    Dear John

If anyone has any along similar lines I'd love to have your recommendations. I have tried listening to others but the narrators at times put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I recently listened to Paradise, it was absolutely excellent. If you are a fan of single cases like Teachers Pet, West Cork etc. then it's for you. The BBC guys who present it are very likable and it goes into huge detail on the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

I've been listening to the You Must Remember This podcast. For anyone not familiar with it, it's a podcast about Hollywood stars etc., particularly from the Golden Age. Sounds tacky but they're actually very well produced mini-documentaries about very interesting stories from that era.

Anyway, a few years back there was a season entirely on the Manson Family. It's popped up on my feed because there's a lot of people listening to it for the first time having just watched the new Tarantino flick.

It's well worth a listen. It's not salacious, headline-grabbing stuff. It's more an investigation into the various cultural ingredients that culminated in that event. It has a 'true crime' undercurrent but there's a lot of focus on the overall mood, music, movies of the time.

You'll find it at episodes 44 to 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've been listening to the You Must Remember This podcast. For anyone not familiar with it, it's a podcast about Hollywood stars etc., particularly from the Golden Age. Sounds tacky but they're actually very well produced mini-documentaries about very interesting stories from that era.

Anyway, a few years back there was a season entirely on the Manson Family. It's popped up on my feed because there's a lot of people listening to it for the first time having just watched the new Tarantino flick.

It's well worth a listen. It's not salacious, headline-grabbing stuff. It's more an investigation into the various cultural ingredients that culminated in that event. It has a 'true crime' undercurrent but there's a lot of focus on the overall mood, music, movies of the time.

You'll find it at episodes 44 to 55.

You Must Remember This is one of the best podcasts around in any genre. I've listened to all of them, even if I don't think I'll care about the story because, without fail, she manages to make every story interesting. The Manson miniseries was top notch.

She hasn't put any new episodes out for a while, so I hope it'll eventually return.

McTJES wrote: »

If anyone has any along similar lines I'd love to have your recommendations. I have tried listening to others but the narrators at times put me off

"They walk among us" is very good, mostly UK based and a decent narrator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Chefjones

“The man in the Window” which focuses on the Golden State Killer. Has lots of first hand accounts and is GRIPPING!

I like “my favourite murder” if you want to listen to a couple of gas American ladies talk about the murders that they were obsessed with. It’s very successful and quite funny.

Also have to agree with other posters here who mentioned “the dropout” and ”mensrea” is good too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Breakdown is a very good podcast. It's in the same format as Serial, follows a case as it unfolds. There has been five seasons (I think) up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Chefjones wrote: »
    “The man in the Window” which focuses on the Golden State Killer. Has lots of first hand accounts and is GRIPPING!

I like “my favourite murder” if you want to listen to a couple of gas American ladies talk about the murders that they were obsessed with. It’s very successful and quite funny.

Also have to agree with other posters here who mentioned “the dropout” and ”mensrea” is good too

Cant stand the humour true crime format, tried these 2 lately and they really grated on me,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Cant stand the humour true crime format, tried these 2 lately and they really grated on me,

Me too - I want the crime story not information on two women and their cats. Small Town Murder is similar - I listened for a bit and then they just irritated me with their waffle :rolleyes:

I find shows like My Favourite Murder to be in really bad taste. Though they aren't even the worst.

I can't remember the exact show but it was three American guys chatting about murders and such and they were doing an episode about OJ Simpson and they were cracking jokes about Nicole Simpson having her throat cut - they were awful yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Last podcast on the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Could be true crime garage aswel, theres a few of them

It was one of those, probably Last Podcast on The Left. At the end of the day, I am aware that I'm listening to these podcasts for entertainment, but I think people laughing at the expense of the victims is a step too far. Very charmless stuff.

Arghus wrote: »
    I think people laughing at the expense of the victims is a step too far. Very charmless stuff.

I agree. I couldn't stomach "True Crime Garage" for that reason.

I imagine the families of victims must be sickened to hear the presenters' inappropriate smart-ass comments and lack of empathy.

can't stand those podcasts with 2 or 3 gobshytes joking how the woman deserved to be raped / killed (actually did hear this said one about Ted Bundy - turned it off then) while they also have their beer of the week feature.

• Advertisement

"Over my dead body" have a new (2nd) season out. Thought that the first season was pretty good.

"Joe Exotic: The tiger king"

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Dr. Death is being made into a show. Jamie Dornan, Christian Slater and Alec Baldwin are cast.

Dr. Death is being made into a show. Jamie Dornan, Christian Slater and Alec Baldwin are cast.

as a podcast really went downhill after 6 episodes or so after a good start.

never finished it.

crazy story throwing up all sorts of issues and flaws in terms of ass-covering and reputation-preservation in terms of US hospitals and doctors, at the expense of patients.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was the same with Dr Death, gave up it went nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

I’ll give a shout for ‘swindled’ - tales of white collar / corporate crime. Only listened to a couple of episodes but it is very well researched and produced, the presenter has a very engaging monotone style. Individual episodes and a good way to pass an hour, enjoyed the Martin Shkreli one in particular.

rekluse wrote: »
    I’ll give a shout for ‘swindled’ - tales of white collar / corporate crime. Only listened to a couple of episodes but it is very well researched and produced, the presenter has a very engaging monotone style. Individual episodes and a good way to pass an hour, enjoyed the Martin Shkreli one in particular.

yes had initially written off the narrator for almost being too boring but like for example casefile for some reason the monotonous delivery works very well for certain types of podcast.

certainly worth checking out - some episodes are better than others.

good white-collar criminal series.

Going to give over my dead body a go!

Going to give over my dead body a go!

first season is pretty good.

glasso wrote: »
    first season is pretty good.

I've listened to 3 so far. Rather enjoying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I listen to “The Trail Went Cold”, it’s hosted by Robin Warder,he does a lot of cases based from the TV series “Unsolved Mysteries” but also includes other cases from around the world. He did episodes on the disappearances of Trevor Deely and Philip Cairns.

A lot of good cases he talks about,well worth listening too. He’s also qualified in film and radio production and the podcast is well edited and put together also

Advertisement