Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Werewolf Post Game Feedback Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Ectoplasm wrote: »

I do think though that we all (and I'm including myself here too) need to be more considerate of other people's playing style. I tend to start slow and then increase my posting as I have more info to work off. Some write many short posts, others write fewer long ones. Some people have more time to give to the game than others. In general I think having a good mix is a good thing and I'd hate to see anyone not playing because they feel their style is unwelcome.

100% agree with you on this Ecto. If we all only posted five long posts a day, or 100 5 worders, the game wouldn't work as well.

Like everything we need the diversity, and we should definitely be mindful to accept other peoples play-styles/post-styles/time commitments etc.

We play for fun, and I know it can get a bit serious in there, but if we don't let people play how it's fun for them, then what's the point.

Now for some of my own feedback, so I'm not just piggybacking :P

Flavor was delicious. My kill flavor made me so happy. It was a glorious way to go out. Overall the flavor was on point, but the PoeticLicense thing gave my brain an aneurism. (that could be because I missed the post with the actual details that came afterwards).

I aboslutely loved the idea of politicking and was sad we never got to it. But I do think unless the village got the NK on Day 1 it was probably never gonna happen. Definitely an interesting premise (one that I was actually already thinking about) And fair play for fleshing it out so well.

I'll Echo Necro on Kudos for substitutions, and huge thanks to Ted and Trit for jumping back in to make sure we could continue on, unphased. Also, extra Kudos to Baggly for the onthread handling of the incident. At the end of the day, this is a game played for fun, and real life trumps all in here. We don't know what's going on in peoples' lives, so I'd like to see us keep that in mind when things like this happen in future.

The competition aspect was great. I loved the fact that it was 'random' and anyone could potentially win. I also hate the fact that I didn't win, but I prefer this type of competition to a first-to-answer type one, which doesn't give everyone the same footing. You put a lot of effort into the competitions and it showed.

I always get so happy when I see how this community treats newcomers, and I honestly feel very fortunate to be a part of it.

Thanks for the game guys. While it wasn't my best game, I enjoyed it as much as any other, even with my Molly-moment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

There was also the potential that the village were on point and killed the wolves early (especially with lots of kill prizes in play). If that had happened, i think phase 2 would have been decent.

On your point about no of wolf kills - this was randomised, as in we didnt have control over who won what prizes at what time. I dont think the wolves really had too many more kills than we would usually see them have however. With assigned wolf roles or tasks, as we see in other games, at least 1 or 2 of them is usually fatal.

Its a bit risky not having assigned roles and not knowing the actual kill rate each day. It kinda levelled out in this game imo, but it could have been that the wolves didnt win ANY prizes or that the wolves won ALL the prizes. Which would have completely changed the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Baggly wrote: »

Its a bit risky not having assigned roles and not knowing the actual kill rate each day. It kinda levelled out in this game imo, but it could have been that the wolves didnt win ANY prizes or that the wolves won ALL the prizes. Which would have completely changed the game.

On that last part, I didn't win a single prize and someone who did took out my Munch target so I lost that too near the end.

I'd like to echo that I like how the community welcomes new players. Happy to see players like 2D looking to sign up to the next game too.

I think competitions have gotten more and more common in games recently but I really enjoyed the inclusion here and all the prizes. I think one thing in particular I liked about this was the character specific prizes (still curious what Greyworm would have gotten)... well except Bronn :pac: They really showed the thought put into it by the game mods.

I really hope that players like Necro don't stop cos of high post counts. I can understand that people might think they could intimidate new players but as long as we continue being a welcoming community to said players that should not be too much of an issue, especially when like in that game there was not a focus on lynching low level posters which there has been in some others.

More and more I do feel non-anon games are becoming Meta included games. I mean yes we turned out to be wolves :D but will anyone ever trust me or TLSC in a game with converts again? even if there is no non meta reasons to do so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The issue with playing together so often is that meta absolutely seeps into the game. It can't really be helped unfortunately.

That's why the anon accounts are great to have, so you can play free of previous games to a degree.

That being said I do like the odd non-anon game, it's a bit of craic talking with BH as opposed to eg: Eva WW.

I enjoyed the late night chats with Stu and sKeith :D

Bronn had character appropriate prizes. He was either going to talk a human character around or dive to save someone from a dragon attack (which he did). And for the second prize he went to ask a Priest of the Light for a seer peek. Totally character appropriate :pac:

I was saying to duffer during that game that the non-anon games are good fun but i do wonder if they aren't as viable as they used to be. I also think i probably prefer anon games at this stage.

• Advertisement

Also pre conversion your prize was

Sacrifices themselves if Dany is attacked, takes attacker with them

And post conversion it probably would have been a wight dragon attack, same as Lord.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

And post conversion it probably would have been a wight dragon attack, same as Lord.

Not sure if I would consider that much of a prize. A prize for Ecto won by me maybe

and yeah I actually like non-anon games every so often. Though it is near impossible for me to hide who I am anyway.

Ditto on the anon versus non-anon.

Anon is great for really getting into it, but it's also nice to have a non-anon every now and then so the effort of hiding isn't so heavy :pac:

Not sure if I would consider that much of a prize. A prize for Ecto won by me maybe

and yeah I actually like non-anon games every so often. Though it is near impossible for me to hide who I am anyway.

Similar prize to what QB had for Brienne. Each team had a sacrificial lamb in their team. We needed fatal prizes to keep things ticking over.

EDIT: Prize is probably a misnomer tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Similar prize to what QB had for Brienne. Each team had a sacrificial lamb in their team. We needed fatal prizes to keep things ticking over.

Did the evils have these fatal prizes too?

• Advertisement

Sacrificial prizes? No

There was no need since Mick decided to sacrifice himself with that reveal :pac:

These prizes were actually more village positive than a bullet tbf. They actually definitely help the village, where as the kills can harm the village, so now :cool:

There was no need since Mick decided to sacrifice himself with that reveal :pac:

source.gif

They could have hurt the village too - so if Arya had attacked Dany while BHs original prize was in play, for example.

They could have hurt the village too - so if Arya had attacked Dany while BHs original prize was in play, for example.

Actually if this had happened with the second part of QBs power in play, it would have been a bloodbath.

Jaysus. Fair point :/

The wolves got 1 more kill then they would in a normal game, and didnt get day 1 kill, the village got a lot more kills they normally get.

Hi Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Enjoyed the game, nothing negative to give feedback on to be fair. I have more a general feedback and its in relation to people who go after "lazy villagers".

I appreciate this is a game of bluff, lies and trying to rile up others, but some games I have more time then others and other times I may not be getting great sleep/rest or could be more stressed which drains me. I am pretty sure I read most, if not all posts up to when I died but I couldn't retain all the information for different reasons. Its been awhile since I kept spreadsheets because that can drive me a bit nuts, does that make me fair game to be called a "lazy villager" by players on my own team who may be more into a game for different reasons?

I have played in games where I have invested so much time and had these thoughts ("am I the only one trying to figure this out!") but at the end I have usually reflected disappointingly at this sentiment. I am not throwing stones at anybody, more asking does the community think its best players do not play if they are not going to be able to invest a certain amount of time/attention in the game ? I personally enjoy it more when I am not taking things seriously and just in it for fun. This is one of the reasons I am usually one of the last to signup for games as I like to see where I am at and how much time I might have before committing.

• Advertisement

Hi Mick.

I saw it, I thanked it I'm not bitter no sirey

Really wish I had beaten you in the draft this week I would have had a come back :D

hahaha :D

Drumpot wrote: »
    Enjoyed the game, nothing negative to give feedback on to be fair. I have more a general feedback and its in relation to people who go after "lazy villagers".

I appreciate this is a game of bluff, lies and trying to rile up others, but some games I have more time then others and other times I may not be getting great sleep/rest or could be more stressed which drains me. I am pretty sure I read most, if not all posts up to when I died but I couldn't retain all the information for different reasons. Its been awhile since I kept spreadsheets because that can drive me a bit nuts, does that make me fair game to be called a "lazy villager" by players on my own team who may be more into a game for different reasons?

I have played in games where I have invested so much time and had these thoughts ("am I the only one trying to figure this out!") but at the end I have usually reflected disappointingly at this sentiment. I am not throwing stones at anybody, more asking does the community think its best players do not play if they are not going to be able to invest a certain amount of time/attention in the game ? I personally enjoy it more when I am not taking things seriously and just in it for fun. This is one of the reasons I am usually one of the last to signup for games as I like to see where I am at and how much time I might have before committing.

When im low posting i always get called on it. When i get killed by the village, i think its because im caught for time IRL and people think its suss. I dont know why; last time i was a wolf i was top poster until i died. But anywho, i think you just have to take any accusation of being lazy as just that; an accusation. People just look for reactions with such a comment, imo.

...asking does the community think its best players do not play if they are not going to be able to invest a certain amount of time/attention in the game ?

I don't. Like was said earlier on the thread, everyone plays different, and the fun is acheived in different ways dependant on the player.

I usually post every single thing that comes into my head, because I'm too lazy to keep notes or a spreadsheet. Some people would balk at that. But then, I wouldn't have fun if I had actual work to do (as proven by this game's second day).

The 5 post minimum was introduced a few games back, and I think that if you can get that in at least you're grand.

We want to encourage more players, not nix the ones we have!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If I ever call someone a lazy villager, as Baggly said it's likely looking for a reaction :)

That being said this is half my problem too I get worked up sometimes as I wonder is anyone listening to me.

Maybe I'll try and low post the next game I play (I'll likely be lynched day 1 :pac: )

Did someone say something?

Did someone say something?

giphy.gif

Necro wrote: »
    Maybe I'll try and low post the next game I play (I'll likely be lynched day 1 :pac: )

Playing henry in batman was so much fun. Would defo recommend trying to hide to yourself completely. So exciting haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Love a bit of feedback, just getting a chance to catch up and reply now
    Necro wrote: »

Couple of things I was unsure of - I thought there were too many kill points given to the wolves if I'm completely honest. I get the need to have prizes available I just felt they had too many.
    A munch and a kill on day 2 then 2 kills day 3 was an awful lot for the village to take, as wolves are never gonna hit their own with their perfect info. I find the village does terrible with kill points in general (see day 2 for an example of that, lol) so handing them a couple extra probably would have had the same result, though might have been fairer.

The other thing - and this isn't really a criticism more an observation - phase 2 was unlikely to ever happen with the way the game was set-up. I think if youse wanted it to play out then maybe the Night King's faction should have died alongside the Night King. Call me a sucker but that made sense in the show, he created them all. Might have been poorly executed but sure that's a discussion for another forum.

That being said, I'm glad it didn't as the game was probably better without it. Though the inclusion did have an impact on end game as Ted would likely not have been lynched if he wasn't worrying about it, and fixxxer might have hit another wolf if he wasn't thinking about house loyalties etc. *Shrugs* That's the game though, not a criticism on the mods.

Overall it was highly enjoyable though (evidence being my 800+ posts lol). Thanks for running it guys :) I think it might be one of the last I play though, my posting levels seem to be off-putting to others so it might be best if I take a siesta for a while and let others play without such a high volume poster on board.

(I'm modding for 3 months now anyways, so no decisions yet just how I'm feeling at the moment)

A couple of things, wolves won a few kills but the village won a lot more. The offset to that was hopefully the revival mechanic for both Beric Dondarrion and Jon Snow which where never activated. Also Greyworm and Jamie Lannister potentially took a wolf with them if attacked. Also I was hoping there was a few peek prizes won but the oul kill prizes were being won more often than anything.

As regard the NK dying and all the White Walkers dying, I felt that was a huge cop out in the show. When a White Walker died (Hardhome) All the wights he raised died however none of the NK generals werent affected. All the generals dying was a cop out in the show IMO although its me debating semantics tbh :D The biggest thing was in the win conditions, I think Tusk pointed them out in the game i.e the NKs faction had to be eliminated.

As regards the post count, Its zero issue for anyone IMO. Its just a **** to ISO :pac:
    On that last part, I didn't win a single prize and someone who did took out my Munch target so I lost that too near the end.

I'd like to echo that I like how the community welcomes new players. Happy to see players like 2D looking to sign up to the next game too.

I think competitions have gotten more and more common in games recently but I really enjoyed the inclusion here and all the prizes. I think one thing in particular I liked about this was the character specific prizes (still curious what Greyworm would have gotten)... well except Bronn :pac: They really showed the thought put into it by the game mods.

I really hope that players like Necro don't stop cos of high post counts. I can understand that people might think they could intimidate new players but as long as we continue being a welcoming community to said players that should not be too much of an issue, especially when like in that game there was not a focus on lynching low level posters which there has been in some others.

More and more I do feel non-anon games are becoming Meta included games. I mean yes we turned out to be wolves :D but will anyone ever trust me or TLSC in a game with converts again? even if there is no non meta reasons to do so.
    Bronns prize was character specific, he saved Tyrion in a trial by combat despite pretty much everyone at The Vale wanting him to die. He also saved Jaime and others.

Anon games are my preference now, I said as much in the whatsapp group that we all know each other too well to not be somehow Meta. It also would have made both substitutions easier and with continuity in the game. In Anon games things are also less personal and people are less likely to take offence. All of that is just opinion.

Really though, its not meant to be a prize for you specifically, its a prize to help the village. A villager for a wolf is an excellent trade IMO

tusk wrote: »
    I don't. Like was said earlier on the thread, everyone plays different, and the fun is acheived in different ways dependant on the player.

I usually post every single thing that comes into my head, because I'm too lazy to keep notes or a spreadsheet. Some people would balk at that. But then, I wouldn't have fun if I had actual work to do (as proven by this game's second day).

The 5 post minimum was introduced a few games back, and I think that if you can get that in at least you're grand.

We want to encourage more players, not nix the ones we have!

I agree with Tusk, I really didnt care as a mod or a player if someone posted 5 times a day or 150, its the nature of the different people playing. What does bother me is if someone has no interest in playing anymore, just PM a mod, we can arrange a sub or rebalance. No players should feel they post too much or not enough unless they arent getting involved and want out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I thought phase two was a brilliant idea. Stopped the likes of me getting completely in to village mode, keeping an eye on how my rival houses were doing. It felt destabilising, which was perfect for game of thrones. Sorry Trit, but you Lannisters have debts to pay :D

Advertisement