Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Drone batteries - Self Destruct if unused...

• 01-10-2018 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

Grumble Grumble...

Left my Phantom 4 up for a while... being using my Mavic.

But this week decided to give the phantom 4 a dust off - and found the drone battery is kaput.

The batteries seem to be always running internally - using some juice - so even if you leave some charge in them (*as I did! - acording to this link*) - If you leave it long enough the battery will drain and the electronics inside will stop it from being usable again...

:( wouldn't happen with a non-smart battery...

I've had stuff with lipo batteries over the years, I have put away for a time when not in use... cameras, other drones, laptops etc. havn't had an issue.

but.... for any dji users - does this mean that the drone cannot be stored away for a time - that it will die in just a few months if left unattended... ?

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did you leave the battery in the drone ?

If so then yes you are not meant to do that with any type of equipment. Phones cameras whatever. Battery should be removed before storing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭ozmo

listermint wrote: »
    Battery should be removed before storing.

Thanks - although by chance this time it wasn't installed - I normally would store the battery in the drone as that's the way DJI ships it - with the battery in the drone... eg. see unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDy9APKrCRc

It sounds like sensible practice to leave it out, and I would do it for most stuff - but I dont think its necessary for dji smart batteries (or laptop batteries) as they present no power at all at the battery unit terminals when powered off.

“Roll it back”

I thought Id do an autopsy on it - the battery is dead and I've no intention of using it for flight - but thought Id see what went wrong with it...

So I removed it from the case and measured the battery voltage... 3v :( so it definitely just drained out- and there's no getting this usable condition again....

I put a bit of charge on the lipo battery from a lipo charger - just a couple minutes - and the dji battery is switching on again - but with a strange *Led 1 blinking 1 time per second 17 times* error - then turning off....

Curiously - by my google searches - this is the Same battery error as some of the Inspire Drones shipped with from DJI new out of the box last year...

“Roll it back”

Update - removed the balance charging cable - left unplugged for over an hour to let the chips fully reset - and reattached - and the pattern of lights has changed....

1. So originally was No Lights - nothing - dead
    2. Charged internal lipo = Led 1 blinks 1 per second 17 times
    3. Reset balancer chip = At power on, All leds light in sequence like normal - like its about to work - then all lights go out and battery turns off.

So - drone is still dead...

Wouldn't mind if I had worn out the battery with a lot of use- but it didn't have many cycles on it and I'm still kind of miffed that something so expensive has a "use it or you loose it" planned obsolescence built in. Not everyone is going to take out any drones they own every 6 months to charge all their batteries.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Commiserations on your loss!
    The speed controllers in electric models "leak" over time. So even if the model is switched off, leaving a full battery plugged in will usually result (after a period) in a deep discharge of the flight battery. And deep discharges are usually fatal.

Optimally, lipos should be stored at a half capacity charge in cool low humidity. But even that won't save them. They deteriorate from the moment of manufacture, have a half life, and are decaying sort of like as for a loaf of bread left on the shelf.

Not many battery technologies store without loss or decay. Lead acid is pretty good, but good luck flying models with power cells made of lead! There were "Steel cells" designed many decades ago which look to be perpetual power storage, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

For lipolys, I regard them as halving their utility in approximately two years when used carefully. I'd be curious how you other folks reading this thread get on with the longevity of your lipos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Made that mistake with my first rc plane when I left the lipo plugged in overnight. The battery was depleted by the power controller/receiver and a brand new lipo was discharged past the point of recovery. Lipos also have a nasty habit of bursting into flames if not treated correctly when charging. I would advise anyone to keep an eye on a lipo as it's being charged and if you see it puffing up, turn off the power immediately and get the lipo out of the house. Charging inside a specially designed lipo bag is always a good idea as this will contain a fire if the battery ignites.

Advertisement