Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Consolized MVS

• 30-09-2018 10:01am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So...

I wonder if those technically minded could explain how easy/hard it might be to make consolized MVS?

I see them on Aliexpress and elsewhere, but the prices are all up above €200.

The mobo itself isn't that expensive, but I wonder if Last Bandit or others could give me an idea of the sort of money and difficulty it would be to make the rest, from the power/controller interfaces to the AV out.

And pricing if someone was willing to make a few of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hmm timely... I'm in the process of building one at the moment. Must take a few pics of what I've done along the way.

There does seem to be a huge variety of them on Ebay, from the mame of shame style entries to some really nice (but overpriced) conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ever see the Omega Works consolised unit?

Pricey but its the absolute business.

https://www.arcadeworks.net/omega-neo-geo-mvs-home-console

Not too much work done yet, just the basic fitting done. Put some stiff rubber under the pcb to provide support when carts are inserted.

Not sure about the vinyls yet on it.

Have fitted a neobiosmasta board to simplify the bios upgrade, no point in making life tougher that needs be.

Will be able to remove the audio amp chip (and heatsink) so the whole board will run on 5v. A simple 5V 3A power supply should be fine for it.

As for the controls, a 15 pin D socket can be wired to the Jamma edge and just use standard Neogeo pads but I'll be using the same tech as in my superguns so will have the option to use different controller types. Will also set it up so that the Pic'nMix mode is activated by default.

31141292678_5b7816cd28_c.jpg

31141293088_798a9931b6_c.jpg

44294601294_ae6b3bd3ae_c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So....
    Getting to the point.
    How much is it and when can I pick it up??

Its free and whenever you're passing by :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

...Will also set it up so that the Pic'nMix mode is activated by default.

How might that be done on UniBIOS 4.0? Thought it was only enabled by key combo, would be awesome to be always on

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    How might that be done on UniBIOS 4.0? Thought it was only enabled by key combo, would be awesome to be always on

I'll have the microcontroller handing the controller conversion stuff drive the Start button for a second when it powers up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

?format=1500w

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'll have the microcontroller handing the controller conversion stuff drive the Start button for a second when it powers up.

Ah, hassle :) Wonder if Razoola will add a dip switch setting for it to be always on

Finally got around to finishing this. Works a treat with the Playstation controller :)

45157190772_004ff80050_c.jpg

All connectors to the rear, need to use extension cables to get the controllers to work so not a problem hiding the ports at the back.

45157191712_25eaf2a809_c.jpg

White LED hidden behind the dot to brighten things up.

45157191232_a2a1966d67_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, when I can pay and collect?

Woah nice work, always a super finish on your "products"

Thanks ya looks nice on the outside but a lot messier than I'd like on the inside (hence no picture :) )

This one is a keeper I think..

Thanks ya looks nice on the outside but a lot messier than I'd like on the inside (hence no picture :) )

Just like inside the human torso really....
    This one is a keeper I think..

Awwww shucks....

So, making any more???

Asking for a friend... who also happens to be called Ciderman...

Master of the Universe

Nice work!

How much are Neo Geo X systems going for these days? Would be interesting to transplant that mobo inside and wire up the ports for sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Inviere

Fantastic standard, as always with your work TLB. If I enjoyed more than two or three Neo Geo games, I'd buy one!

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    If I enjoyed more than two or three Neo Geo games, I'd buy one!

There are 6 Metal Slug games, 6! :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    There are 6 Metal Slug games, 6! :D

:D

Metal Slug series
    Viewpoint
    A couple of the Shmups

That's pretty much my spectrum of Neo Geo experience :o

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    :D

Metal Slug series
    Viewpoint
    A couple of the Shmups

That's pretty much my spectrum of Neo Geo experience :o

Never give Puzzle Bobble a go when it was in arcades no? I get a full childhood regression feeling whenever I hear the music in that, threw a lot of 10p coins into it back in the day.

Never give Puzzle Bobble a go when it was in arcades no? I get a full childhood regression feeling whenever I hear the music in that, threw a lot of 10p coins into it back in the day.

Never, and puzzle games in general have never appealed to me, even to this day!

• Advertisement

This, it's etched into my brain from my local chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

im not a huge neogeo fan either but I love these
    Drift out
    Puzzle bobble
    Puzzle de pon
    Metal slug series

I like most of the non fighting stuff on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

...Put some stiff rubber under the pcb to provide support when carts are inserted...

Sorry to dig this up. Did you salvage the stiff rubber from something else or did you buy it? If baught, where and what type? Thanks.

Also, did I see an update on this CMVS where it showed a battery mod? Cant seem to find the thread

Plenty of tutorials here

As for the stiff foam rubber, it was part of the packaging from a fancy pair of curtain poles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

im not a huge neogeo fan either but I love these
    Drift out
    Puzzle bobble
    Puzzle de pon
    Metal slug series

Same for me, adore puzzle bobble and its music.
    Burning fight is a decent Final fight Clone.
    Striker 1945
    Aerofighters 1 2
    Super Sidekicks 1 2 3 and neo 98
    SNK vs CAPCOM
    Shock troopers 1 2

Decent bunch of games there. No interest in KoFs thou for some reason

Now all I need is a MVS with working sound ... ggrrr

Advertisement