Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooly’s Joe.ie GAA hour

• 23-08-2018 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Might seem like an odd time to start a discussion on this as the season is almost over but can be a retrospective discussion for now over their coverage of the season. I’ll be talking about the football part of it.

What i like:
    Wooly throws forth opinions and calls out people like nobody’s business.
    He’s the best GAA interviewer there is i believe
    The show always goes out, they don’t make excuses for such and such on holiday and they get it out at a consistent time of the day
    Wooly’s personality and sense of humor; hes not over jokey or over serious. Keeps a nice balance, has a good voice and delivery.

What I don’t like
    I tune out mostly for Wooly’s tactical insights which i find to be high on conviction and short on being actually true and relevant
    Wooly’s can take a cut at intercounty managers a little too liberally. Give it a shot yourself wooly if you can do better than the best.
    Wooly has a bit of Howard stern about him in that his co workers seem pressured to agree with him.
    Mix up the pundits a bit. Stevie McDonnell isnt terrible but there’s a smell of bluff off a lot he says. Getting a little tried.
    Lost the Paul Galvin soundbed, lose it now.

Ultimately its a good show but wooly is the show’s best asset but also is the show’s producer so he may have a little too free reign.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah I like it. Re your points

- He wants the show to be "edgy" and draw a little heat. I think some of his opinions are exaggerated to generate debate/reaction

- He is very consistent with putting out the show and I think that's really worked in his favour.

- He uses ex-players predominately as contributors - maybe Joe requires that he only access certain journalists so his hands may be tied a bit on that front. I'd agree though I'd like to see him freshen that up.

- The interviews are very good. He will ask an uncomfortable question, but not in a "gotcha" way - he actually wants an answer and will listen to it. The one with Diarmuid Connelly is very good - happy to challenge Connelly on his opinions - but respected him at the same time. The one with Donaghy recently was not adverserial but interesting all the same.

- I like the humour - doesn't come accross as forced. Soundbeds in general I don't like, they get old very quickly.

Overall I like it a lot, and I like having a dedicated GAA podcast. I don't listen to SC/Off the Ball etc so can't compare it with what they do.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

It’s an excellent pod and there must be a huge amount of work that goes into it. I listen mostly to the hurling show and as much as I love hurling they drag the arse out of the analysis sometimes. I can’t stand the use of nicknames though, Wooly this and Cheddar that. No adult should be referred to by a nickname! He’s a very good interviewer.

I don’t listen to every episode and I think it could be edited down to maybe 35-40 minutes without losing anything. But if I never hear that ‘goat eating a pallet’ story again I’ll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    It’s an excellent pod and there must be a huge amount of work that goes into it. I listen mostly to the hurling show and as much as I love hurling they drag the arse out of the analysis sometimes. I can’t stand the use of nicknames though, Wooly this and Cheddar that. No adult should be referred to by a nickname! He’s a very good interviewer.

I don’t listen to every episode and I think it could be edited down to maybe 35-40 minutes without losing anything. But if I never hear that ‘goat eating a pallet’ story again I’ll be happy.

It's a donkey eating the pallet.....
    The worst ear worm is the... Wake up waaake up

He can be a sickened at times but overall the podcast is outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Like the show on the most part and has some good guests on but those jingles/fillers are absolutely terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭dog_pig

The podcast's generally good but I think they let themselves down with some of their 'tactical' analysis before and after the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

dog_pig wrote: »
    The podcast's generally good but I think they let themselves down with some of their 'tactical' analysis before and after the final.

How do you mean?

I think Wooly gets carried away with himself on the tactical stuff.

To illustrate he was lauding cork ahead of the Munster final talking about how well they were “set-up”.

What somehow didn’t seemed to come into his thinking was that Cork don’t have any good footballers right now.

Tactics play apart but it is still is largely about the players you have and wooly occasionally forgets this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

I was listening to a basketball podcast before and one of the guys on just said "the team with the best players generally wins - it sounds simplistic but its generally true".

As well as the Cork game, Wooly also hyped up Galway more than they deserved.

I think sports media have a need to "big up" games and make them seem more competitive and close than they actually are - they need something to talk about so sometimes they stray from reality.

Wooly at his best for yesterday’s pod.

No mealy mouthing just straight talk.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    How do you mean?

To illustrate he was lauding cork ahead of the Munster final talking about how well they were “set-up”.

What somehow didn’t seemed to come into his thinking was that Cork don’t have any good footballers right now.

Tactics play apart but it is still is largely about the players you have and wooly occasionally forgets this.

They spent nearly half the episode before the football final ridiculing potential tactical approaches for dealing with Dublin, written by journalists. No insight was offered beyond "this sounds stupid" and whether it was just Wooly being OTT or not, neither of the other contributors offered any counterpoint. No alternatives were suggested to these approaches (the only ones mentioned in the entire show.)

After the final, no mention of any sort of tactical analysis beyond Wooly saying "Nothing wrong with Tyrone’s tactics, they’re leaving enough lads up front, Dublin are just a better team with match winners all over the field." That's the type of thing you'd expect to hear from RTE, not from a usually well made podcast.

Mayo ladies manager Peter Leahy on the show this week, should make for interesting listening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mayo ladies manager Peter Leahy on the show this week, should make for interesting listening

It was a good interview and great to finally hear at least one side of the story. It doesn't sound good for the Carnacon cohort who seem to have been unhappy with the fact they were different players starting games. It's up to them to come out now and give their side of the story.

With accusations that there was an unsafe atmosphere around the team, Leahy had no choice but to come out and speak as it's essentially a character assassination on him.

How do you mean?

They spent nearly half the episode before the football final ridiculing potential tactical approaches for dealing with Dublin, written by journalists. No insight was offered beyond "this sounds stupid" and whether it was just Wooly being OTT or not, neither of the other contributors offered any counterpoint. No alternatives were suggested to these approaches (the only ones mentioned in the entire show.)

After the final, no mention of any sort of tactical analysis beyond Wooly saying "Nothing wrong with Tyrone’s tactics, they’re leaving enough lads up front, Dublin are just a better team with match winners all over the field." That's the type of thing you'd expect to hear from RTE, not from a usually well made podcast.

Ah, wouldn’t agree, the all ireland final for me was basically man city playing Everton. One team playing at a completely different level to another and a game that was completed at half time.

They could have analyzed Dublin and how they have changed the game but that’s just the way I see it. Tyrone were never going to win no matter what they did IMO.

Ah, wouldn’t agree, the all ireland final for me was basically man city playing Everton. One team playing at a completely different level to another and a game that was completed at half time.

They could have analyzed Dublin and how they have changed the game but that’s just the way I see it. Tyrone were never going to win no matter what they did IMO.

You wouldn't agree with what? I don't understand what you mean.

You wouldn't agree with what? I don't understand what you mean.

Sorry, what I mean is I wouldn’t think Tyrone vs Dublin was worth analyzing deeply in terms of tactics. I think there was a chasm between the levels both teams operate at. So basically I wouldn’t agree with your post that suggested their tactical analysis was too simplistic or dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

I personally think wooly's podcast is the best gaa one out at the minute.I'm a fully signed up hurling snob as he likes to call us but its all in good fun.wooly was very good when on off the ball and in my own opinion he's never been properly replaced on it.kilbane ok but only in small doses

Sorry, what I mean is I wouldn’t think Tyrone vs Dublin was worth analyzing deeply in terms of tactics. I think there was a chasm between the levels both teams operate at. So basically I wouldn’t agree with your post that suggested their tactical analysis was too simplistic or dumb.

Well I mean in the preview show they spent a significant amount of time on the tactical approaches I mentioned. If as you say there was no point in analysing the tactics then why was a lot of the preview show spent on that topic?

Surely it would imbue some responsibility on them to revisit those approaches given that what Tyrone employed, which Wooly stated there was nothing wrong with, resulted in Dublin leading very comfortably for the last 60 minutes of the game despite Tyrone's success early on.

I think your point about it being comparable to Manchester City vs. Everton only reinforces the need for a tactical setup to give the less-capable team a chance at parity. To me your way of looking at this is fairly reductive, there are countless examples across sport where some form of novel approach by the team seen as inferior has led to unexpected victories. If you applied your logic elsewhere then everyone would play on the terms of the superior teams and these underdog victories would be less frequent.

You mentioned that you don't agree with me that the analysis was "too simplistic or dumb." I never actually said, my point is that they didn't do any at all.

Well I mean in the preview show they spent a significant amount of time on the tactical approaches I mentioned. If as you say there was no point in analysing the tactics then why was a lot of the preview show spent on that topic?

Surely it would imbue some responsibility on them to revisit those approaches given that what Tyrone employed, which Wooly stated there was nothing wrong with, resulted in Dublin leading very comfortably for the last 60 minutes of the game despite Tyrone's success early on.

I think your point about it being comparable to Manchester City vs. Everton only reinforces the need for a tactical setup to give the less-capable team a chance at parity. To me your way of looking at this is fairly reductive, there are countless examples across sport where some form of novel approach by the team seen as inferior has led to unexpected victories. If you applied your logic elsewhere then everyone would play on the terms of the superior teams and these underdog victories would be less frequent.

You mentioned that you don't agree with me that the analysis was "too simplistic or dumb." I never actually said, my point is that they didn't do any at all.

A lot to take in there. Look, I think Tyrone were never going to beat Dublin realistically and I think the match showed that. The absolute ceiling Tyrone could play would could not beat Dublin unless Dublin had a man sent off early doors.

Therefore I think it was pointless to talk about tactics at length after the game. Tyrone played reasonably well tactically, their full back line held up reasonably well most of the game to ball kicked into it. Dublin penetrated it through one poor Tyrone kick out and Dublin’s quick thinking. They were just outclassed.

Jim mcguinness’s plan to beat Dublin was total and utter ****e. It should never have made it to print imo.

If wooly talked about tactics to beat Dublin before the game then I’ve forgotten that discussion. As I remember they pretty much wrote off any chance of Tyrone winning, said they might get within the handicap (which they did) and talked about matchups.

Jesus it was tedious stuff listening to them discuss the new rule changes, like two auld lads bickering in a pub at 1am

Jesus it was tedious stuff listening to them discuss the new rule changes, like two auld lads bickering in a pub at 1am

Bloody tedious alright. Wooly’s Explanation of the sin bin rule made absolutely no sense.

• Advertisement

Wooly completely overvalues the appeal of county club championships with these ideas about a soccer Saturday style show for club games and having RTÉ with correspondents in every county reporting back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wooly completely overvalues the appeal of county club championships with these ideas about a soccer Saturday style show for club games and having RTÉ with correspondents in every county reporting back.

He really does. I love them myself, nearly as much as he seems to, but the vast majority of people don't give a crap about them.

Patww79 wrote: »

He really does. I love them myself, nearly as much as he seems to, but the vast majority of people don't give a crap about them.

A lot of those club county games are fairly boring. The Dublin final last year was among the worst games I‘ve ever seen and that’s Dublin which is a good standard of player.

He doesn’t make the connection between Eirsport not showing them anymore and the reason why a broadcaster might cut their interest.

Wooly has some weird blindspots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Must have been really poor figures for them to can it as they were due to show it this year in the deal weren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Is there any club games being shown ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

A lot of those club county games are fairly boring. The Dublin final last year was among the worst games I‘ve ever seen and that’s Dublin which is a good standard of player.

He doesn’t make the connection between Eirsport not showing them anymore and the reason why a broadcaster might cut their interest.

Wooly has some weird blindspots.

His own counties ability would be one of them

When wooly believes something he really flogs it. Every bloody show.

This obsession that the club championships could be huge is such overblown nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Just started listening and impressed. Parkinson is a bit of craic and they have done their research.

More gambling odds being flogged unfortunately but that's par for the course with these podcasts.

The 20 mins given over to moaning about defensive football every episode is a bit much.

• Advertisement

Wooly is very weak on understanding the politics of GAA or congress and Conan is too much of a lapdog to interject or correct him.

Advertisement