Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would be very interested to see his England team. Could be extremely difficult to beat.

I would be very interested to see his England team. Could be extremely difficult to beat.

Ben T'eo would be sooooo happy.

He wouldn't be as suckered by a lack of depth as he is at Wales from time to time and he'd have access to more hard carrying forwards but I don't know if he'd be reinventing the wheel all that much.

I think Gatland is getting a lot out of this Welsh team at the moment, they are deserving of their top 4 in the world despite the rotation over the last 12 months.

With a settled England panel he could do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He'd give Jones a run for his money on the mic too. He really would be a perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Wales Online have article saying Premier Sports will cover 2 matches on a Friday with 4 on a Saturday and 1 on another day to be confirmed soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’ll be fun seeing how they plan on meeting during February and March that commitment when eir Sport have two channels tied up every Saturday evening from 5pm. They could still do it with two lunchtime and two afternoon games I guess, but clashes with Six Nations fixtures are inevitable given that since ITV have taken over part of the coverage of that competition they’ve generally tried to have the late Saturday fixture finish before prime time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sharks rumoured to be interested in pro14. This was the game yesterday v Jaguares. Did the crowd all come dressed as a seat

https://twitter.com/FeedtheScrum/status/1018167931870461952?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sharks are staying in Super Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

icdg wrote: »
    It’ll be fun seeing how they plan on meeting during February and March that commitment when eir Sport have two channels tied up every Saturday evening from 5pm. They could still do it with two lunchtime and two afternoon games I guess, but clashes with Six Nations fixtures are inevitable given that since ITV have taken over part of the coverage of that competition they’ve generally tried to have the late Saturday fixture finish before prime time.

Out of interest what KO times would you envisage on Saturday lunchtime that do not clash or overlap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Sharks rumoured to be interested in pro14. This was the game yesterday v Jaguares. Did the crowd all come dressed as a seat

https://twitter.com/FeedtheScrum/status/1018167931870461952?s=19

What was the attendance figure?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Out of interest what KO times would you envisage on Saturday lunchtime that do not clash or overlap?

Seemingly there were less GAA leagues 5pm throw ins than I thought this season - the only weekend eir broadcast four games (2x5pm and 2x7pm) was the first week. So the 5pm slot is good for the rugby - still needing to finish by 6:30pm though. So you could have three slots during those months - 12:15pm, 2:30pm, and 4:30pm.

But really I don’t see them not airing some Pro14 fixtures on Sunday during the Six Nations. It is literally the only way they’ll (a) finish by 6:30pm on Saturdays and (b) not clash too much with Six Nations games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2018%E2%80%9319_Pro14_transfers

Odds:

Leinster 7/5
    Scarlets 4/1
    Glasgow, Munster 5/1
    Ospreys 18/1
    Ulster, Edinburgh 20/1
    Cardiff 22/1
    Connacht 25/1
    Cheetahs 33/1
    Benetton, Zebre, Dragons, Kings 500/1

Ospreys stand out as a team that should be further down this pecking order. Scott Williams and North are fantastic signings but losing their starting halfbacks is a body blow.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cheetahs look decent value as an outside bet @33s.
    With a rest, preseason and their ability to take points at home they look good for a play off place again... And after that who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Cheetahs look decent value as an outside bet @33s.
    With a rest, preseason and their ability to take points at home they look good for a play off place again... And after that who knows

Haven't they lost a huge amount of their starting team?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Any update on when fixtures will be out?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Haven't they lost a huge amount of their starting team?

They have signed players to replace them. They added Dries Swanepoel (he was injury cover at Munster but never played) today. I'd expect a drop in quality overall but the full pre-season should boost their performance. I'd back Cardiff to take their playoff place however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The Welsh really need to move to a fully union setup.

An example, Dan Evans the talented reserve 10 at Scarlets should really be moved onto the Ospreys who have a need for a 10. Instead he will be behind Patchell at 10 especially with the Scarlets having signed the Cheetahs 15 of last season, whose name I can't remember.

The Dragons could do well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well "resting players" will mean those interpros are just half team formalities so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

errlloyd wrote: »
    Well "resting players" will mean those interpros are just half team formalities so.

Be unlikely Leinster will rest players the week before a European game, when most of the senior players won’t have played throughout September.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

stephen_n wrote: »
    Be unlikely Leinster will rest players the week before a European game, when most of the senior players won’t have played throughout September.

recent seasons show they don't rest such players. In fact it is usually their first (or second) game back

still between being lacking in match practice and wanting to be ready for the HCC the following week, the games have suffered as a result.

in ways it would be better as a spectacle to have second XV throwing themselves into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Are the fixtures out today?

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was really hoping that Munster v Ulster would be the new year fixture. :(

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yea, but two interpros before europe means it'll be the usual job of winning your home game and throwing the away one, like we have traditionally seen at Christmas.

awec wrote: »
    Yea, but two interpros before europe means it'll be the usual job of winning your home game and throwing the away one, like we have traditionally seen at Christmas.

Yeah I agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't think so tbh. Last season Sexton had his first cap vs Edinburgh which was the week before the Munster game. Dev was on his 3rd cap of the season for that game. Here is the squad for that game (bearing in mind that Henshaw, Ringrose and Rob Kearney were injured, while Lowe hadn't arrived):

McGrath Cronin Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy

McGrath Sexton
    Reid ROL
    Kearney Carbery McFadden

Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Molony, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, Larmour

The focus at that point in the season is very different from the focus at Christmas. Internationals are coming back in as opposed to getting a rest. We probably won't see completely full strength sides as guys are still being managed somewhat for that week, but we should be close enough. For example, Healy had played 4 games at that stage and was given the week off ahead of the Munster game.

Well, you can call me skeptical, but I don't see provinces fielding first choice teams 4 weeks in a row right before the AIs start.

Well, you can call me skeptical, but I don't see provinces fielding first choice teams 4 weeks in a row right before the AIs start.

Agreed. It's not going to happen, particularly with the RWC on the horizon.

If I were a skeptic (which obviously I'm not), I would say the only reason it's changing is so the IRFU can ensure players are rested and Ulster B team aren't stuck playing against Glasgow's first team.

If I were a skeptic (which obviously I'm not), I would say the only reason it's changing is so the IRFU can ensure players are rested and Ulster B team aren't stuck playing against Glasgow's first team.

I'd say the unions pushed for two weeks with no air travel before the Champions Cup. Like for us it's a great deal.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't think so tbh. Last season Sexton had his first cap vs Edinburgh which was the week before the Munster game. Dev was on his 3rd cap of the season for that game. Here is the squad for that game (bearing in mind that Henshaw, Ringrose and Rob Kearney were injured, while Lowe hadn't arrived):

McGrath Cronin Furlong
    Toner Fardy
    Ruddock SOB Murphy

McGrath Sexton
    Reid ROL
    Kearney Carbery McFadden

Byrne, Byrne, Porter, Molony, Deegan, JGP, Byrne, Larmour

The focus at that point in the season is very different from the focus at Christmas. Internationals are coming back in as opposed to getting a rest. We probably won't see completely full strength sides as guys are still being managed somewhat for that week, but we should be close enough. For example, Healy had played 4 games at that stage and was given the week off ahead of the Munster game.
    Leinster are an outlier, you have enough players to field two teams that can be competitive in interpro games.

The other three struggle more. Winning back to back interpros is extremely difficult, not least because they usually happen when there are restrictions on who can be picked.

Advertisement