Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contact lens advice needed

• 25-10-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Have worn reading glasses for around 10 years so thought I'd try contacts. Went to get them "fitted" and can only describe it as 90 minutes of absolute hell. I took me an hour to get the first one in and I just wasn't expecting so much pain. The optician then had to remove them for me as I just couldn't manage it.
    Couple of questions:-
    I have a very active lifestyle, lots of football, couple of showers a day and also enjoy a few pints quite regularly. The prospect of having to remove them for showers and also removing them after a night out doesn't appeal, based on my first experience. Is it really worth the hassle?
    I don't swim a lot but whenever I do I really hate getting water in my eyes. Could that mean that I am one of those people with sensitive eyes who is just not suited to contacts? I have heard that some can't get used to them and give up but does anyone know if that's a high proportion, ie common?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Need time to settle and get used to them is well. I was the same by the sounds of it and now they are like there is nothing in my eye but everyone is different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Definitely takes some getting used to but totally worth it. I dont notice wearing lenses anymore. I wear them almost daily. However, my wife uses lenses occasionally (maybe once every couple of months) and she hates them. I always end up taking hers out as she gets frustrated trying to take them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Thanks but I'm hearing what I've heard before ie "Yes they can be a bit fiddly at first but you'll get used to them".

Whereas my experience so far is "It was total hell and sheer agony and I am dreading going back for round 2". No one warned me about the pain, maybe if they did no one would try them in the first place.

Btw they told me I had to put them in and out 3 times on my own before they can give me the lenses. Could be waiting a looong time....

What made them painful, was it the feeling of the lease or just discomfort?

What made them painful, was it the feeling of the lease or just discomfort?

I inserted the lense and closed my eyelid. A severe burning sensation in my eye which lasted for 2-3 minutes was the result. Is this normal?

When I got used to them after 10 minutes or so it was ok and vision was fine but it was torture to get to that point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

What pain? im currently trying them after 30 years of wearing glasses. Finding them a bit fiddly to put them in but there is no pain. I have a slight sensation that there is something in my eyes but that disappears.

I have 3 free pairs left and will be sticking with them.

Owryan wrote: »
    What pain? im currently trying them after 30 years of wearing glasses. Finding them a bit fiddly to put them in but there is no pain. I have a slight sensation that there is something in my eyes but that disappears.

I have 3 free pairs left and will be sticking with them.

I can only assume that everyone is different. Mine were disposables, what were yours?

Chelon wrote: »
    I can only assume that everyone is different. Mine were disposables, what were yours?

Im using daily disposables.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I inserted the lense and closed my eyelid. A severe burning sensation in my eye which lasted for 2-3 minutes was the result. Is this normal?

When I got used to them after 10 minutes or so it was ok and vision was fine but it was torture to get to that point...

Sounds like you may have gotten something on the lens while trying to insert it. That would be the cause of the burning. Sometimes if you have a bit of soap or something still on your hands and it gets onto the lens that can cause a lot of stinging. Generally as your eye waters it will dilute whatevber is causing the problem and it will lessen

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tevey08

It will all come within a few times of putting them in. You don't need to remove them for anything, sports, showers, swimming and anything else. You only need to remove them at night. It will take 2 seconds to put them in and out within a few weeks.

• Advertisement

I followed the opticians' instructions re washing hands and cleaning lenses etc. Same pain in both eyes. 
    Also one optician told me the dailies you could keep in all day but when I got them fitted I was then told 8 hour maximum. Also told to take them out any time you go near water including showers and baths. So not very convenient, unless I opt for the monthly ones instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I followed the opticians' instructions re washing hands and cleaning lenses etc. Same pain in both eyes. 
    Also one optician told me the dailies you could keep in all day but when I got them fitted I was then told 8 hour maximum. Also told to take them out any time you go near water including showers and baths. So not very convenient, unless I opt for the monthly ones instead.

Monthly ones it would be even more important to take out when you are showering etc

When I was getting mine the advice was to build up how long you keep them in for.

I was told not to wear them swimming, due to the chlorine. Also advised to take them out if I was having a shower but that in reality most people just left them in. I ve washed and shaved with them in without any problems.

Put in my last pair this morning, only took a few seconds, no pain or discomfort.

Maybe you're just super sensitive to any type of pain.

Just an update on this - I did go back to the optician for another try and it was a good bit easier and not nearly as much pain. I think the constant poking for 90 minutes the first time resulted in most of the pain. Second time around took around 10 minutes and mimimal discomfort.

That's the good news; but on getting home I've been wearing them for the last couple of days. A recurring problem when putting them in is the lense just sticks to my finger. Even if I make sure the finger is dry it still happens. I can eventually get it to stick to my eye but it does take a good few attempts and sometimes I still give up. Anyone got any tips for getting the finger off first time? The optician said "just pull your finger slowly away"...yeh I tried that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Your eye will de-sensitize after a while to the point that you'll be able to touch it with your finger without any discomfort (though I don't recommend it). You need to be able to touch the lens while it's sitting on your eye when inserting (albeit VERY gently). Then the vacuum formed by the lens on the eye will be greater than that on your finger and the lens will stay in. I find that a drop of lens fluid on my finger made it easier..and above all, don't go slicing onions any time before you want to insert your lenses!!

It's just a question of practice and persistence. It took me a couple of months to get used to lenses at first, but it's totally worth the trouble.

exaisle wrote: »
    Your eye will de-sensitize after a while to the point that you'll be able to touch it with your finger without any discomfort (though I don't recommend it). You need to be able to touch the lens while it's sitting on your eye when inserting (albeit VERY gently). Then the vacuum formed by the lens on the eye will be greater than that on your finger and the lens will stay in. I find that a drop of lens fluid on my finger made it easier..and above all, don't go slicing onions any time before you want to insert your lenses!!

It's just a question of practice and persistence. It took me a couple of months to get used to lenses at first, but it's totally worth the trouble.

The lense is sitting on my eye correctly but when I pull the finger off it always seems to stick to it. I will try making finger wetter as you suggest but this is the opposite to what the optician recommended. Should I try rolling the finger off rather than just straight back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Which brand of breathable contacts are people using, dailies?

cloudatlas wrote:
    Which brand of breathable contacts are people using, dailies?

Sential or some name like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP some tips that work for me:
    When putting lenses in take a firm grip of your eyelash to prevent eye closing
    When showering don't spray water in your eyes! Then you don't need to remove lenses
    You can get lenses that can be left in for up to 30 days, this saves a lot of hassle

srsly78 wrote:
    OP some tips that work for me: When putting lenses in take a firm grip of your eyelash to prevent eye closing When showering don't spray water in your eyes! Then you don't need to remove lenses You can get lenses that can be left in for up to 30 days, this saves a lot of hassle

How good are they on your eyes or what with them though. I can't imagine my eyes feeling very comfortable after 3 weeks of non stop lenses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I wore this type of lense (30day) for about 10 years and was fine until last year. Since then I've been taking them out more often. Optician said I was over-wearing but otherwise fine. I used to wear them for a lot longer than 30 days as well...

Noone forces you to leave them in, just take them out if uncomfortable and clean any time you want. For first 10 days they are usually fine, then start to notice them a bit. Also anything that dehydrates you (boozing) will have an effect. Have been trying a different type now (14 day ones) that are super comfortable but work out more expensive.

One final tip (I assume you are a man) - do not put contacts in after shaving!! Feckin tiny hairs always sneak in...

The brands I used:
    Purevison torric (30day)
    Accuvue Oasys (14day)

srsly78 wrote:
    Noone forces you to leave them in, just take them out if uncomfortable and clean any time you want. For first 10 days they are usually fine, then start to notice them a bit. Also anything that dehydrates you (boozing) will have an effect. Have been trying a different type now (14 day ones) that are super comfortable but work out more expensive.

Wow never heard of them. Sound like a dream in comparison to my dailies. Any harm in how much they work out at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Before i got lasered used oasys 14 day. Daily ones are thinner and also no handling tint so trickier. What amused me about the longer wear ones is that you have to get them bigger to grow into!

amtc wrote:
    Before i got lasered used oasys 14 day. Daily ones are thinner and also no handling tint so trickier. What amused me about the longer wear ones is that you have to get them bigger to grow into!

Your eye has to grow into them?

Yeah i didn't believe it either! Apparently you need to get them a size bigger and your eye will adjust accordingly.

The reason I found out about this was I had a stable prescription and my friend could get extended wear ones cheap through vistakon (he worked there) and I just gave him the prescription I had. Anyway ended up getting a pile of eye infections and had to go to Mater ...it was the consultant who told me this.

One of the reasons why i got lasered!

amtc wrote:
    The reason I found out about this was I had a stable prescription and my friend could get extended wear ones cheap through vistakon (he worked there) and I just gave him the prescription I had. Anyway ended up getting a pile of eye infections and had to go to Mater ...it was the consultant who told me this.

That's interesting as I was looking into longer wear ones as my dailies I find are expensive enough

amtc wrote:

That's interesting as I was looking into longer wear ones as my dailies I find are expensive enough

Honestly if suitable at all get lasered. Best thing I ever did

amtc wrote:
    Honestly if suitable at all get lasered. Best thing I ever did

Will definitely get it done in a few years but in the meantime it's glasses and contacts for me

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Everyone is different. My months supply, can last me for about three, as dont wear everyday, sometimes a little discomfort just after putting in, sometimes none. The optician advised my up to about 4-6 hrs a day, but have often had them in about 12+, and I rarely taken them out for showering, unless have already had them in all day. I dont swim with them though, have prescription googles for that. Only thing, I can only tolerate them for a max of three to four days, then need a couple days break, say if on holidays.

As per the thread about a parents and sons experience and my post, I did find it tricky for the first few days of the trail. I would now consider them a fabulous invention.

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried using a lense applicator like this:-

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Softsert-Soft-Contact-Applicator/dp/B005PXEQB6

Seems like a good idea, I might try it if it helps, I've given up trying the finger method but still have a stock of lenses to use.

Advertisement