Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hibernia primary teaching interview

• 29-05-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I had my interview for the pme in Hibernia college on Friday. The english part went fine but I found the irish section much harder than I was expecting. I'm a long time out of school but I spent 6 months brushing up on my irish, listening to RnaG every day, doing duolingo constantly, brushing up on my grammar, talking in irish as much as I could, I really felt I had done as much as I could. I was really surprised at how fluent the interviwer expected me to be, he was firing questions at me, constantly interrupting me when I was answering and asking another question! He was friendly but I felt under real pressure. So it went ok, I got through it, but I'm gutted I didn't do as well as I had hoped. There was a couple of words I didn't understand but I answered all his questions. Questions he asked that I hadn't prepared were a bit stilted because I got so nervous, so I'm sure my grammar was a bit crap at times! I'm just wondering how fluent are students expected to be going into this course? I know I have to continue improving my irish, but am surprised at the fluency expected at the interview. I am just crossing my fingers I get offered a place now 😣

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CB007

I am thinking of applying for september and I am terrified at the thoughts of the irish i haven't studied it in years! could you tell me what kind of stuff they asked. I have a friend who done a 6 week course in irish for the interview and she told me they only want to see that you have a basic understanding of the language

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lelli Kelli

Yes they do just want you to have a good basic understanding of Irish, but he really fired the questions st me and kept changing the subject to get me to talk about stuff I hadn't necessarily prepared, that really threw me! It was all basic stuff, where do you live, what is your hometown like, what are your hobbies, what will you do this evening, what do you do at the weekend, do you have children, what would you do if you won the lotto, where did you go on hols last year? The content was fine but he talked fast and fluently so definitely listen to lots of radio na Gaeltacht and definitely get some practice at Irish conversation, whatever way you can. Also brush up on your basic grammar and tenses. Best of luck,
    CB007 wrote: »
    I am thinking of applying for september and I am terrified at the thoughts of the irish i haven't studied it in years! could you tell me what kind of stuff they asked. I have a friend who done a 6 week course in irish for the interview and she told me they only want to see that you have a basic understanding of the language

you are a star! did you start the course in april? i was just wondering if it runs through the summer months or picks up in september? :)

I am starting in September and yes it runs through the summer months unfortunately!!

I am just currently filling out my application. I read on some threads that they just asked someone to talk about a topic of their choosing for two minutes did they do that? do you mind me asking what they asked in the english part of the interview and how long it took for you to hear back on the outcome of the interview :0

• Advertisement

Yes they did ask me that! The English was quite intense, it felt like question after question... why do you want to make a career change now, how would you deal with conflict amongst your work colleagues, give an example of good team work, how would you approach a brand new class of children if you were newly qualified, how would you get to know the children, pick any topic and talk on it for 2 minutes, how would you ensure you were prepared for work as a teacher on a Monday morning, how would you handle a situation of a parent complaining about your teaching.... they were very friendly but it is all very formal, certainly not just a chat!
    Best of luck 😊
    I am just currently filling out my application. I read on some threads that they just asked someone to talk about a topic of their choosing for two minutes did they do that? do you mind me asking what they asked in the english part of the interview and how long it took for you to hear back on the outcome of the interview :0

[I had my interview on a Friday afternoon and I got an email offering me a place the following Monday afternoon 😊

quote="CB007;104011223"]I am just currently filling out my application. I read on some threads that they just asked someone to talk about a topic of their choosing for two minutes did they do that? do you mind me asking what they asked in the english part of the interview and how long it took for you to hear back on the outcome of the interview :0[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I have a friend who done a 6 week course in irish for the interview

"who done"
    Using bad grammar like that will probably (and should) fail you.

I wouldn't normally point grammar out on boards (i make plenty of spelling errors myself) but in context of the subject matter, basic good grammar I would hope would be essential for primary school teaching.

My apologies, I have a friend who just recently completed a six week Irish course in preparation for the interview.
    Obviously I have good grammar, it was just a passing comment on a thread which I don't take seriously. If I didn't have "good basic grammar" it wouldn't even be an option for me to apply for this course.

well guys thinking of applying for primary once I qualify. Only in second year so not really rushed to start preparing yet but do want to do it straight after my degree. Just wondering is getting a place in it realistic? Is the competition severe or what way is it? Just wondering too, would it be a good idea to do charity work or anything? Do they expect you to have worked with kids or charity work or anything? Finally how beat to prepare for the interview?

• Advertisement

dolster wrote: »
    well guys thinking of applying for primary once I qualify. Only in second year so not really rushed to start preparing yet but do want to do it straight after my degree. Just wondering is getting a place in it realistic? Is the competition severe or what way is it? Just wondering too, would it be a good idea to do charity work or anything? Do they expect you to have worked with kids or charity work or anything? Finally how beat to prepare for the interview?

I had my interview in August. I didn't have any experience apart from babysitting and I secured a place, however working with kids and charity work could give you an advantage!

Thanks for the reply! Congrats on the place, how are u finding it? Many people in the course? Just out of curiousity, can u apply and do an interview a year before you are going for the programme and defer a place?

dolster wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! Congrats on the place, how are u finding it? Many people in the course? Just out of curiousity, can u apply and do an interview a year before you are going for the programme and defer a place?

Honestly I went for the interview for the experience I was surprised I got it I haven't studied Irish since the leaving cert so I didn't expect it at all 😅 There is a September and an April cohort you can defer twice as long as you pay your deposit. I decided to defer to April simply for the reason that I can work all summer without worrying about placement. It's all personal preference I know a lot of people like to start in September because it's what they are used to 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 15 smcar09

Hi All,

I have my interview next week for the PME. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8 malteasers

Hi All,

I had my interview today and I’m a little worried about the Irish. I sat the LC last month and have a good level of Irish, but my nerves took over today! I couldn’t answer a question and did make a mistake on one of my tenses. I finished the interview in English and it went really well. But I’m worried the Irish has let me down.
    Any advice??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

malteasers wrote: »
    Hi All,

I had my interview today and I’m a little worried about the Irish. I sat the LC last month and have a good level of Irish, but my nerves took over today! I couldn’t answer a question and did make a mistake on one of my tenses. I finished the interview in English and it went really well. But I’m worried the Irish has let me down.
    Any advice??
    Thanks

No point worrying about it now. Wait until you get a reply. Well done on doing the interview. People mix up tenses everyday in every language so don't sweat it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 malteasers

No point worrying about it now. Wait until you get a reply. Well done on doing the interview. People mix up tenses everyday in every language so don't sweat it. Best of luck.

Thank you 😊

Advertisement