Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭Wossack

My very first project..! The sister was wanting to make a Christmas Eve Box for the new arrival, so I somewhat foolishly said I'd make one (no bother says I). Got done, but only just (delivered Xmas eve..!)

Sister provided the lettering on the lid, care of Amazon. Pine from the most cupped board imaginable, finished in tinted danish oil, and paste wax.

Initially tried planing the board, but it would have wound up a third the thickness.. so cut it into 50mm strips, jointed and edge glued it back together. Pretty happy with how it all turned out, warts and all

IMG_20161224_143259.jpg

IMG_20161224_143307.jpg

IMG_20161224_143332.jpg

IMG_20161224_143352.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Nice job!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dave! wrote: »
    The wall in the kids' bedroom is hollow drywall, and I'm a bit concerned about pulling it down - are the wall plugs for this purpose pretty sturdy/capable of holding decent weight, or should I be looking at screwing into the studs?
    Kinda screams "french cleat" really...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Pair of cabinets made for the kitchen/diner.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Making a Small side table for beside the couch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What kind of wood is that delaney001? And where'd you get it? :)

I still only get timber from Woodie's/B&Q :-/ I don't really know where to get it (in Dublin) other than that!

I got a decent pocket hole jig recently, so I'm looking forward to using it on... something :)

Also got a cheapo bench grinder and belt sander from Aldi - just used it to sharpen some stuff so far, but I may in the future have another go at knife making

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭Wossack

delaney001 wrote: »
    Making a Small side table for beside the couch

looks well! That from Nick Offermans book? He's got something similar in it (Jupiter table)

I don't really know where to get it (in Dublin) other than that!
    The Timber sticky has a few places (I've been using Quinns myself, they're out near the long mile road).

Still pushing to get the cot finished.

Slats are now almost all done (the curved tenons at the top of the side slats are all that's left):

IMG_0410a.jpg

And the frame work is pretty much all done, bar the last two lap joints for the drawer runners and some rounding over, final finish planing and the drawboring holes; but all the major stuff is now done.

IMG_0450a.jpg

So my to-do list now looks like:
    • Curved tenons for side slats
    • Final fit&finish trimwork on the frame
    • Final finish planing/scraping on the panels
    • Make a drawer (seems such a small task, doesn't it?)
    • Drill drawbore holes
    • Shellac walnut bits
    • Paint poplar bits
    • Assembly, drawboring, glue-ups (this is going to be done in a stage or two because it's an awkward sod to fully assemble)
    • Osmo wood wax on all the bits, including the shellac'd and painted bits
    • Deliver, lock shed, never touch a project with a deadline ever again

Oh, and I made fences for my #43 and #44 planes:

IMG_0122a.jpg

And a new, better shooting board for my new T5 plane (which is just so much better at shooting than faffing about turning my #5 or #7 on its side):

IMG_0406a.jpg

• Advertisement

I still only get timber from Woodie's/B&Q :-/ I don't really know where to get it (in Dublin) other than that!

Friend is a woodwork teacher, gets his timber from Strahans. Told me about these off cut bundles they have sometimes. About 2' x 2' square bundle made up of 4' lengths. Every kind of hardwood in them. Ranging from 2x1to 8x1.
    Really lovely stuff, just short and all rough cut. Great for little projects tho. Think I got 6 for €160

Edit. Legs are mahogany. Top is ask I think. Cross members are Oak

Wossack wrote: »
    looks well! That from Nick Offermans book? He's got something similar in it (Jupiter table)

Ya the very one. Got the book for Xmas. Just saw it and thought it was nice, and a simple enough project to bang out. You could literally make it without ever knowing a dimension and just eye the whole thing proportion wise. Only dimension that really matters is the height to match the seat it'll accompany.

Oiled and ready to hold its maiden cup of scald.

Built my first chair from hazel and maple! I love it!

C30oj6cWAAIZ-sI.jpg

C30oj6dWAAAGmDc.jpg

C30oj6bXAAEi_7X.jpg

IMG_0529a.jpg

Back panel for the cot all shellac'd, glued up and drawbored (still needs a few coats of osmo but I'll do that after the entire thing is assembled).

Walnut really does pop when you put some shellac on it...

IMG_0711a.jpg

Front panel for the cot all shellac'd, glued and drawbored.

IMG_0717a.jpg

And the mattress platform and its front support glued up and shellac'd and held together with wooden nails (there's a gap in there so the platform has some spring to it when you put a load on it).

IMG_0738a.jpg

That's the front, the back, the mattress platform...

IMG_0689a.jpg

...the cross rails and the slats, all done.

Next up is a final dry fit to get the position of the rear support for the platform, cutting the slot and drilling the mounting holes for that, then shellacing the last two parts of the frame, final assembly, making a drawer, and final finishing with osmo.

In the meantime, I ran out of shellac on saturday night and didn't want to wait a week for the next batch (waiting for buttons to dissolve in isopropanol took a week during the summer, at -1C I figure I'd be waiting longer). Leaving it in a warm place would speed this up, but you're warned not to try to dissolve it faster by direct heating because the gas on the hob would leave you holding a pot full of burning alcohol and resin in the kitchen while your wife looked on. However, we have more ways to heat things these days.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present....

IMG_0676a.jpg

Sous-vide shellac! :D

(And it worked, the shellac buttons dissolved almost completely overnight with only around a teaspoon left in the bottom of the jar).

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Morgans timber just off the n7 luas depot, left.
    Strahan timber Newcastle
    Abbey woods

Not done yet...

IMG_0813a.jpg

...but getting closer.

Still need to make a drawer.

IMG_0808a.jpg

IMG_0815a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Doing a few bits over the last week. Picked up a small Inca bandsaw last weekend and tried making a few small bits. I used dried beech logs that I had chopped and squared them off a bit using a mitre saw before shaping them on the bandsaw to make trinket boxes for my daughter.

[IMG][/img]Beech%20drawer_zpsnf196w7t.jpg

[IMG][/img]Small%20beech%20box_zpstpdoq0al.jpg

Also made a chessboard using light oak and mahogany. Might frame it off using some maple that I have in the garage

[IMG][/img]Chess%20board_zpsy64arejo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Love those trinket boxes mob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Getting to end of fitting out this yoke.
    Slow enough process!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Doing a few bits over the last week. Picked up a small Inca bandsaw last weekend and tried making a few small bits. I used dried beech logs that I had chopped and squared them off a bit using a mitre saw before shaping them on the bandsaw to make trinket boxes for my daughter.

Also made a chessboard using light oak and mahogany. Might frame it off using some maple that I have in the garage

Can you give a bit of a walkthrough how you made the cheeseboard? interested in how you got the pieces sized & cut so well for it to fit together without gaps, also how you clamped/pressed it & what glue you used.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Ranjo wrote: »
    Can you give a bit of a walkthrough how you made the cheeseboard? interested in how you got the pieces sized & cut so well for it to fit together without gaps, also how you clamped/pressed it & what glue you used.

Used strips of mahogany and light oak which I bought in 8ft lengths and cut into smaller bits. You alternate 8 strips of wood - 4 light and 4 dark and glue them (I just used evo-stik wood adhesive) along the edges and clamp overnight. I then hand planed the wood as the mahogany was slighter thicker than the oak so it was all reasonably flat on both sides.
    Then I used a mitre saw to cut it into 8 strips. I have an 80 tooth blade on the mitre saw so cuts are quite precise leaving no gaps. You turn over every second strip to give the alternating black and white squares. Glued up again and clamped with 4 sash clamps. When that was dry I planed any raised spots and used a belt sander to level off some other bits. I then used a random orbital sander with 120 and then 240 grit, wiped down with white spirits and gave it a coat of danish oil.

There are a few tutorials on youtube that I've seen - something like this one here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knpes6fKhpQ except with slightly smaller pieces of wood.

I was going to make a surround for the board but kind of like the bare look of it so going to leave it as it is. Started making the pieces from Maple this evening. I don't have a lathe (yet!) so am making them with the bandsaw and some carved bits I think. Hope to get a lathe soon if I can pick up a good one at a reasonable price to learn on.

IMG_0899a.jpg

Oh, so that's how you clamp glue blocks.

IMG_0909a.jpg

And fettling and finishing a drawer. Almost done now. Just last minute fettling and it'll be done...

Finally, done...

IMG_0919a.jpg

IMG_0916a.jpg

IMG_0915a.jpg

IMG_0917a.jpg

I mean, it's no Chippendale (it's not even Chip'n'Dale really), but I'm happy with it given that it's a first piece. And it's fun to see where it got to given how it started out :D

201609261603.7a1.jpg

2016-09-21-12.58.18a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

A chunk of walnut and a few new tools were given a test run. Chip, chip, chip.:)

51366_800x600.jpg

51473_768x768.jpg

51474_768x768.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Working on 2 new guitars at the moment.
    A mini mustang for my nieces.
    Sapele body and neck and a rosewood fretboard.
    And a full sized mustang. Poplar body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard.
    410522.jpg

[IMG][/img]Beech%20drawer_zpsnf196w7t.jpg

[IMG][URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/mobfromcork/media /Small%20beech%20box_zpstpdoq0al.jpg.html][/img]Small%20beech%20box_zpstpdoq0al.jpg[/URL]

[IMG][/img]Chess%20board_zpsy64arejo.jpg

Nice work. Love the little drawer, artistic 😉

The Master wrote: »
    Working on 2 new guitars at the moment.
    A mini mustang for my nieces.
    Sapele body and neck and a rosewood fretboard.
    And a full sized mustang. Poplar body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard.
    410522.jpg

NICE. I made a stratocaster for my son. I'll have to post a finished pic.

• Advertisement

NICE. I made a stratocaster for my son. I'll have to post a finished pic.

Here's a picture

Advertisement