Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

WD2 is a boring GTA clone whilst the TLG is one of the greatest games of the past decade.

Never played Transformers nor will I. Anyway back to Horizon chat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

RasTa wrote: »
    WD2 is a boring GTA clone whilst the TLG is one of the greatest games of the past decade.

Never played Transformers nor will I. Anyway back to Horizon chat

The first couple of Transformer games are well worth playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RasTa wrote: »

I loved it personally.

Horizon will be day one for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Does anyone else miss linear games?

I don't necessarily think there's a major lack of linear games (the AAA sphere maybe excepted but blockbusters have never had so much competition elsewhere). But nor do I think one or the other is inherently superior - all down to approach.

The biggest problem I have with many open world games - and the reviews of Horizon do not fill me with optimism that it overcomes that - is the sheer level of repetition involved in many. The 'Ubisoft model' (for lack of a better phrase) favours a small amount of tasks endlessly recycled with minor or even arbitrary changes - a frustrating approach to '#content' above all else, wasting the players' time in the process. It's an approach that prioritises quantity over quality, and makes games frankly miserable bores to play even if there's some good stuff wedged between the repetitive sub-missions. Some games manage the balance better than others - I do think Rockstar excel in the genre they almost certainly created or at least popularised, even when there's plenty of minor variations in there.

It's not for everyone, but The Witness to me is the most engaging open world of recent years. I played it for 50 hours plus and was still discovering new ideas, secrets and depths at that point. It has a design philosophy that prioritises ideas above mere 'content' and it earned every minute I put into it (although somewhere between 5 and 10 hours were spent tackling the final Challenge ;)). Would love to see a major open world game with that sort of approach.

Ultimately, my gaming time is finite and I'm trying to teach myself to just drop games that don't sink their hooks in or waste my time (FFXV is perilously close to that point after only around 10 hours). I may give Horizon a gander in the future as I do like the sound of its big mech encounters. But I've heard enough to hold off for now, especially when Nintendo (who have always valued ideas more than any other major developer) are planning to finally throw their green Link cap into the open world ring in ten days time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I think the problem is I just dont have time/patience for open world games any more (Bar Witcher 3 and GTA V). I think that if you were to do a study on it you would see the older the demo graphic, the more like they are to spend time in linear games etc.

yeah it's just the part were you have to travel to A to start mission intro then travel to B to start actual mission walking/ driving across these open world's to get to this marker is soo boring IMO

bloodborne and Tomb Raider have the right idea IMO the mini open areas in TR are a lot better than a huge ass map with lots of empty land

MGS V was a terrible attempt at this the world was actually completely empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

one thing gtav has is all the missions have variety and your doing something different in lots of missions.

bugs me when people moan about the price of a single player linear game but would happily pay for the same crap assassins creed missions in a new skin every single year

ok I'm done but yeah this game looks good looking forward to seeing what it brings to the open world formula anyways

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd actually much rather a good well designed linear game than what mostly passes for open world these days. Gta missions might have variety but they pale in comparison to what a well designed linear game can offer. The problem is the developers close off the open world for these missions for fear of some of its randomness getting in and spoiling the story nobody really cares about. Doing the actual missions is no where near as much fun as pissing about the open world.

It's why the only open world games I've truly enjoyed have been Gta 3, crackdown and xenoblade chronicles X. All of those are true sandboxes. GTA3 was before rockstar cared about the open world spilling into its missions. Crackdown left you to your own devices in a massive city and even let you break the game's structure if you felt like it. Xenoblade let you have so much freedom while exploring that often times it felt like you were breaking the game only to be rewarded.

Developers really need to embrace their own open world's they've crafted rather than putting in countless repetitive missions and janky main storyline missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Video Game isn't a perfect game shocka!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

...must wait for acg's review as well...

There is one irrational reason why I can't stand his reviews. At the beginning of each video he quips:

"If you like the video, HEH maybe subscribe."

You need to hear it to understand. I know it's ridiculous but I just find that incredibly annoying! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I knew the protagonist was called Aloy which is faceplamingly dumb. I didn't realise until the reviews that her mentor is called 'Rost' which is in double facepalm territory. He might as well paint a bullseye on his head. I can see the writer patting themselves on the back for how profound it is. 'It's like alloys are stronger and don't rust dude' :)

Might just be the worst bit of videogame writing since Halo Reach's 'Noble Team'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I knew the protagonist was called Aloy which is faceplamingly dumb. I didn't realise until the reviews that her mentor is called 'Rost' which is in double facepalm territory. He might as well paint a bullseye on his head. I can see the writer patting themselves on the back for how profound it is. 'It's like alloys are stronger and don't rust dude' :)

Might just be the worst bit of videogame writing since Halo Reach's 'Noble Team'.
    Are you one of those old school gamers who tries to find any beef you possibly can on modern AAA games?

Cina wrote: »
    Are you one of those old school gamers who tries to find any beef you possibly can on modern AAA games?

Nope. Sure narrative is the least important part of a game like this so if the game is good why does it matter. Just thought that this part of the story was laughably bad and gave me a good chuckle in the same way Hideo Kojima justifying Quiet's attire, or lack thereof, was laughably bad. It gave me a cringe chuckle.

Unless of course you want to defend how it's a brilliant piece of profound symbolism/foreshadowing?

Nope. Sure narrative is the least important part of a game like this so if the game is good why does it matter. Just thought that this part of the story was laughably bad and gave me a good chuckle in the same way Hideo Kojima justifying Quiet's attire, or lack thereof, was laughably bad. It gave me a cringe chuckle.

Unless of course you want to defend how it's a brilliant piece of profound symbolism/foreshadowing?
    Fair enough, can't say the names made me chuckle, though. As video game names go they seem fairly by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A piece of profound symbolism/foreshadowing that you have no idea whether it's actually part of the game/story or not. It's something you've read into it yourself based on their names and are now attributing to the game and calling the story laughably bad as a result.

I think you're patting yourself on the back just as much as you're accusing the writers of doing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Surprised too see this is 59 on the store, will probably just get it from the there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, and don't forget these cards, make it a little cheaper again.

Penn wrote: »
    A piece of profound symbolism/foreshadowing that you have no idea whether it's actually part of the game/story or not. It's something you've read into it yourself based on their names and are now attributing to the game and calling the story laughably bad as a result.

I think you're patting yourself on the back just as much as you're accusing the writers of doing.

Maybe. But I'd put a lot of money on it down Paddy Powers if I could.

Anyway see if I'm wrong. I might be making assumptions but they are educated assumptions. I'll more than likely be waiting here with an air of righteous smugness looking for an apology.

I've been wrong before, GoW2's story regarding one of the characters looking for his missing wife seemed laughable but actually delivered but I doubt I will be in this case.

Surprised too see this is 59 on the store, will probably just get it from the there.

Physical copy will still be cheaper from amazon with the sterling right now though, around €53-55.

That card discount above looks good though!

Anyway see if I'm wrong. I might be making assumptions but they are educated assumptions. I'll more than likely be waiting here with an air of righteous smugness looking for an apology.

You won't get one because my point will still stand. You said "Just thought that this part of the story was laughably bad" before knowing if it's part of the story or not, based solely on character names (and the meaning you yourself attributed to them) and the possible inclusion of a common trope throughout all of fiction-dom of Mentor Occupational Hazard. That doesn't take an "educated" assumption, and it doesn't make a story "laughably bad" by default if it's done right.

The stupid laughable names are really selling your point of view for me.

• Advertisement

The stupid laughable names are really selling your point of view for me.

In a world overrun by robots and machines, is it so odd that some people's names in small primitive tribes are derivations of terms associated with metal? Either way, what does it matter? There are numerous examples of terrible character names in some of the most popular gaming franchises of all time; Master Chief, Solid Snake, Max Payne, Marshall Law, Claude Speed. Bad names don't make bad games/stories.

Penn wrote: »
    In a world overrun by robots and machines, is it so odd that some people's names in small primitive tribes are derivations of terms associated with metal? Either way, what does it matter? There are numerous examples of terrible character names in some of the most popular gaming franchises of all time; Master Chief, Solid Snake, Max Payne, Marshall Law, Claude Speed. Bad names don't make bad games/stories.

As someone that spent the night playing Earth Defence Force ('The government doesn't know if these aliens are friendly or aggressive. They've designated them 'Ravagers' for now') it's not going to affect the game much at all.

Bad writing though is bad writing.

Cina wrote: »

No,
    Hes one of those old school gamers that tries to find a beef in every single game! :P

I'd hate to have that attitude playing games, constantly analyzing looking for flaws.

I'd rather just chill the **** out and enjoy the good points in a game! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have no interest in the game's narrative whatsoever, but have no issue with the names. If anything, it suggests a studio aiming for some thematic unity across their storytelling and world building through the recurrent metal references. It makes sense that a primitive tribe would communicate in broad, literal language. It's on-the-nose and a little silly, but keeping with the identity of a game where you're fighting giant metal dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Doge wrote: »
    No,
    Hes one of those old school gamers that tries to find a beef in every single game! :P

In fairness with the state of some so called AAA games over the last few months I too have a glass is so half empty rather then half full. Devs get away with murder nowadays releasing games in a terrible state and just coin it in. So I also do air alot on the side of caution with EVERY major game release I am looking at buying.....

Zero Dawn
    GR:Wildlands

I am looking at getting both BUT I have alot more reservations about GR....the open beta this weekend with a new region will dictate if I buy it or not.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness with the state of some so called AAA games over the last few months I too have a glass is so half empty rather then half full.

There's having the glass half empty and there's Retr0gamer - always having an empty glass! :pac:

Since the birth of this thread he hasn't had one praise for the game so the bias is obvious.

And this despite Guerilla creating one of the most beautiful environments ever in a game and a great concept.

It's far more beautiful looking than the new Zelda game imo, dare I even say the Zelda game looks dated? :p

Doge wrote: »
    There's having the glass half empty and there's Retr0gamer - always having an empty glass! :pac:

Since the birth of this thread he hasn't had one praise for the game so the bias is obvious.

And this despite Guerilla creating one of the most beautiful environments ever in a game and a great concept.

It's far more beautiful looking than the new Zelda game imo, dare I even say the Zelda game looks dated? :p

It was healthy scepticism, especially since the game was coming from a team that had yet to deliver a good game in my opinion.

Dare I say you have seemed to be the opposite and totally caught up in the hype since the beginning of the thread and yet you still haven't played the game?

I've not said anything about the gameplay yet (except for it sounding a bit too much like a generic ubisoft open world design), I've not played it but from the trailers and information about the game, it seems poorly written to me which is what I've been talking about.

Anyway how about people actually attack the arguments rather than the poster?

I might be skeptical but I've seen two Guerrilla games, kill zone 2 and shadow fall, which were just plain bad in single player get lauded with almost unanimous praise based on technical merot despite being bad games. Horizon could be the same but at leaSt looks far more interesting and varied than kill zone ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

This isn't the game for me but it looks fantastic. I think Kojima is using the same engine for Death Stranding.

Yep same engine. Digital Foundry were massively impressed with the tech.

• Advertisement

Dare I say you have seemed to be the opposite and totally caught up in the hype since the beginning of the thread and yet you still haven't played the game?

The hype had nothing to do with it for me, I fell in love with the concept, graphics and environment as soon as I saw the e3 demo live in the early hours the night it was shown.

It just instantly clicked with me, and I knew that if the gameplay shown that night with Aloy and the Thunderjaw would be delivered without a game breakingly poor framerate or bugs I knew Guerilla would be onto a winner in my book.

And from all the gameplay videos released and the all the reviews they clearly accomplished that goal and then some.

I've seen enough now to know that I'll really enjoy the game, the worst that can happen now is that it gets a bit repetitive.
    On the other hand, most open world games suffer from this, and all the merits of the game are a big enough motivator for me to play through it more so than the likes of Far Cry 3 which I cant be bothered finishing.

Advertisement