Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clongriffin - Parkedge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Anyone here that lives there and could kindly provide some knowledge from inside the area ??

I have just bought there so what I am about to tell you is not a first hand experience. However I know people who live there for couple of years already and general feedback is a positive one. Otherwise I would not be buying there. One thing I noticed cycling from Sutton to Clongriffin was some shattered glass and debris around Baldoyle. Also there are lots of families who moved there when the "old" Clongrifin was built circa 2005 and their kids are now teenagers so you can expect groups of youngsters strolling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭McCalvin

Hi,
    Also, did anyone buy an house from Gannon in the area before? How are they in terms of build quality and finishing ?

Anyone here that lives there and could kindly provide some knowledge from inside the area ??

As I mentioned a page back, I bought new in Beaupark and have been there since. Obviously the town never grew into what was intended; the gym, supermarket/mall etc. but we did get a DART station and the essentials are at our door step.

In terms of build quality, the houses on the square were built by Menolly who have come back and remediated the pyrite infill and re-finished all Congriffin houses in the last 5 years. Gannon did the same. So long-term, you've nothing to fear, the builders have a good history. And the re-finish was as new, there were snag items but nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm not sure it's still the same, but houses finished in Beaupark/earlier Clongriffin phases had all rooms wired with CAT5E, terminated in the hall. Very handy for a house LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Oppybar

Volthar wrote: »
    Was it you or someone else who told me they plan to adapt the attic straight away?

I'm not sure - I probably mentioned that I intend to get an engineer to look at what is involved fairly soon so that I have the information - but I don't plan on doing anything about it in the short term. There is enough to be doing with the fit out...my domesticity quota for this decade is exhausted already tbh!

As kceire mentioned already I'm told it is likely to be a nightmare job...

Anyone got a call from KF about a further delay?

I spoke to them yesterday V, they said that completion certs were delaying closings and they'd call me as soon as they had an estimated date? I'm not snagging until next Monday, but it seems that closing before month end is unlikely. Were you talking to them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Oppybar wrote: »
    I spoke to them yesterday V, they said that completion certs were delaying closings and they'd call me as soon as they had an estimated date? I'm not snagging until next Monday, but it seems that closing before month end is unlikely. Were you talking to them?

That means the delay is on the builder/Assigned Certifier end.

Yes, it sounded like that. They said they were waiting to hear from Gannon...

Issues with land registry, will take 4-6 weeks to solve...

Some completion certs were lodged with DCC recently. I will update on Monday to those affected in this thread.

According to Localgov and BCMS system, Completion Certs lodged for :

17 Park Street
    20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 Dermot Street
    18 King Street

Any of you guys own any of these ones?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote:
    17 Park Street 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 Dermot Street 18 King Street

These were finished in April. I wonder why they could not submit for the rest of the King Street.

These were finished in April. I wonder why they could not submit for the rest of the King Street.

They were not complete totally. Internally a lot of work was still required.
    They are lodging the other certs for the remaining 20 in the next week or so I believe.

You have to remember that the Building Control Officer will request final BER certs and Air Tightness Test Results before accepting completion certs etc

kceire wrote:
    They are lodging the other certs for the remaining 20 in the next week or so I believe.

I hope this will be done soon. By the way the exact wording was "delay on closing due to administrative process with the land registry maps" can't figure what this means.

Thanks for your help clarifying things so far. Buying a new house is very stressful especially when it is buying from plans.

Thanks Kceire for the info. It seems as if there are two separate processes going on - Completion Certs and Land Reg. KF said the same to me Volthar - odd that there's a delay on the Land registry - it isn't unexpected that the Land Reg would take six weeks, it is hard to believe that they are finished on site in good time, but the paperwork is lagging behind!

Thanks all, for the info on this thread. Great to know i'm not the only one who is stressed!

Thanks Kceire for the info. It seems as if there are two separate processes going on - Completion Certs and Land Reg. KF said the same to me Volthar - odd that there's a delay on the Land registry - it isn't unexpected that the Land Reg would take six weeks, it is hard to believe that they are finished on site in good time, but the paperwork is lagging behind!

Thanks all, for the info on this thread. Great to know i'm not the only one who is stressed!

Just to clarify they are not finished on site a good while, and in fairness to the builders they are ahead of schedule I believe. There was a lot on internal works, 2nd fixing for the PV etc and with the new Building Control Regulations, you can't nowadays build an estate and sell them one by one and let people move in one by one anymore.

The whole site has to be accessible and every house has to be 100% complete before applying for completion certificates.

kceire wrote: »
    [...] 2nd fixing for the PV [...]

I was there today and some houses now have 5 PVs while others are left with 3. Why would that be? Anyone knows?

I was there today and some houses now have 5 PVs while others are left with 3. Why would that be? Anyone knows?

Some houses, in general,now, not just this specific site, due to orientation, solar gain, heat loss will require different amounts of renewables to achieve compliance with Part L.

Maybe one reason.

Just to clarify they are not finished on site a good while, and in fairness to the builders they are ahead of schedule I believe. QUOTE]

Absolutely - apologies - I wasn't entirely clear - I was making the point that the builders appear to be well on schedule to me, and the houses and site are in good shape. All my contact with Gannon has been helpful and professional overall tbh. It seems that the administration is lagging behind on a number of fronts - which may not be a Gannon issue at all!

It cannot be a surprise to anyone that Land Reg matters take six weeks - and I think that clear communication of this information to us, earlier in the process could have avoided some of the difficulty now, is all. From what I've seen of house buying in Ireland though - this isn't unusual at all...and I entirely take your point that the new Building Regs make it all more difficult to manage.

I am not familiar with the admistrative process and hence my frustration may not be justified. Nevertheless I was led to belive that the house is ready with only a small delay (May instead of end of April) and once I sign the contract I will be asked to submit a snag list and then it will be ready for closing. Once I did my part it turned that there is a delay.

Just to clarify they are not finished on site a good while, and in fairness to the builders they are ahead of schedule I believe.

Absolutely - apologies - I wasn't entirely clear - I was making the point that the builders appear to be well on schedule to me, and the houses and site are in good shape. All my contact with Gannon has been helpful and professional overall tbh. It seems that the administration is lagging behind on a number of fronts - which may not be a Gannon issue at all!

It cannot be a surprise to anyone that Land Reg matters take six weeks - and I think that clear communication of this information to us, earlier in the process could have avoided some of the difficulty now, is all. From what I've seen of house buying in Ireland though - this isn't unusual at all...and I entirely take your point that the new Building Regs make it all more difficult to manage.
    I am not familiar with the admistrative process and hence my frustration may not be justified. Nevertheless I was led to belive that the house is ready with only a small delay (May instead of end of April) and once I sign the contract I will be asked to submit a snag list and then it will be ready for closing. Once I did my part it turned that there is a delay.

Guys, just to be clear, i dont work for the Builders, Gannon or anybody else in relation to this project.

I dont benefit from anything in relation to the site and as Volthar already knows from previous PM's, i just have access to the site from another avenue. i am just passing on the info at my hand to prospective owners, and i hope i dont offend anyone in that process, if i help in any way, thats what i am aiming for.

Just to let you know that you dont have to apolagise to me or anything :)

Have you guys got your BER Certs or Air Tightness Test results or anything?

Best of Luck :)

• Advertisement

kceire wrote:
    Have you guys got your BER Certs or Air Tightness Test results or anything?

None of these yet but I will ask them.
    You are very helpful. Thank you. Without your input here I would not know about regulations and such.

None of these yet but I will ask them.
    You are very helpful. Thank you. Without your input here I would not know about regulations and such.

PM me your new house address and an email adress ;)

kceire wrote:
    PM me your new house address and an email adress

Done

Hi All,

While we all are waiting for the keys it is about time to think about floors, appliances, etc. How about sharing our ideas?

I am not sure how it is done in other houses but all semi-detached only have tiles in half of the kitchen. I asked builders and they will be able to supply same type of tiles so I can tile the rest of the kitchen/diner floor and have an uniform look just like in the show house. I haven't decided yet as laminate/wooden floors are nicer to walk on. Same tiles could be used in the hall.

As for downstairs I like this color:
    http://www.floordesign.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/594_GRDwel-242x300.jpg

It will also work in hall and the dining area of the kitchen.

Walls: I will leave it as is, gray-ish white for a while. Maybe add some graphics to kids bedrooms.

Stairs: carpets for comfort and safety (kids).

Upstairs: here is main argument between myself and my wife. I would like carpets in bedrooms, she would prefer off-white laminate like this:
    http://www.floordesign.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/579_MAG-244x300.jpg and a deep fluffy rug

For stairs I have checked prices with Raheny Carpets and Carpet Right. Pretty much same price. Both tried to sell me beads to go along the skirting boards but I hate the look of it and insisted they will remove skirting boards and put them back. Worst case scenario I will have to repaint walls... I also have a recommended carpenter from Drogheda who will visit the place next week to measure and price it for me. I will let you know how it went.

Furniture: we will likely start with a chaotic mixture of what we already own with some cheap stuff from IKEA

Appliances: madster pointed me to appliancesdirect.co.uk
    good prices and delivery/installation options.

Back garden: I have no idea what to do with it. They are in general small. As it is now - lawn -I have to buy a lawnmower which leads to having a storage shed that will further reduce the area. Going "low maintenance" = gravel and does not look great. Any ideas?

Finally, I must add that I am horrible if it comes to choosing colors and decor in general. I have a duplex apartment that I am letting (abroad) and while ago I painted kitchen pistachio green and staircase wall in burgundy... looks horrible but I thought it will be "class" he he he. Sadly I cannot afford professional designer.

Great idea V!

I'm tiling the downstairs as the front of the house is north-facing and I want to catch as much light as possible with a light coloured tile. I'm currently pricing tiles in a range of places. Didn't find what I wanted in Tile Style, found it in nationwide...I'm also finding it hard to decide what exactly I want to live with!

On appliances - I've ordered the kitchen things and have asked Cawley's to add an island - I thought a lot of the kitchens don't actually have much cooking space.

On blinds - I'm going with Alpine blinds, I found them reasonably priced, really helpful to deal with and they had a lovely selection. I hope to get them in to measure over the next few weeks.

Like you, on furniture, there'll be a mix at the beginning - IKEA is very close by and handy:)

Carpet - I'm carpeting stairs and the entire upstairs. I've checked out a few places and I am hoping to get someone in to measure - your skirting board point is a good one, I'll bear it in mind! I haven't been offered beads yet - sounds hideous!

Garden, I think mine is large enough for a shed and I'm thinking about a metal shed in the long run. I've had someone look at the grass and the recommendation is to add topsoil if you are thinking of keeping grass and/or want anything to grow. I had thought of paving / decking alternatives - but don't plan on making any garden decisions other than topsoil and re-seeding the lawn until next summer. There are too many decisions altogether...

btw - a friend told me that some people have moved into the 3 storey houses. it's reassuring that they have got through this seemingly endless process, at least! Hopefully the rest will be sorted by August;) Have you talked to KF and your solicitor about an insurance waiver so that you can decorate pre-completion? I think Gannon are considering that due to the delay - which might help your timeline!

Good luck!

Oppybar wrote:
    Have you talked to KF and your solicitor about an insurance waiver so that you can decorate pre-completion? I think Gannon are considering that due to the delay - which might help your timeline!

Thanks. I am still waiting for templates. I want to be sure what I will sign will not affect my other rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 madster

btw - a friend told me that some people have moved into the 3 storey houses. it's reassuring that they have got through this seemingly endless process, at least! Hopefully the rest will be sorted by August;) Have you talked to KF and your solicitor about an insurance waiver so that you can decorate pre-completion? I think Gannon are considering that due to the delay - which might help your timeline!

I am waiting for one of the 3 storey houses too.. and I got the 4 to 6 weeks delay... Is your friend a reliable source? ^ ^

madster wrote: »
    I am waiting for one of the 3 storey houses too.. and I got the 4 to 6 weeks delay... Is your friend a reliable source? ^ ^

I cycled there this evening and indeed one of the 3 storey houses, second from the left as I remember, seems inhabited already, flowers in windows, parked car etc. This is getting quite bizarre. I think you should call KF and ask them what is going on.

Completion Certificates have been placed on the Public Register for this development now so this would allow the properties to be occupied at this stage.

• Advertisement

Completion Certificates have been placed on the Public Register for this development now so this would allow the properties to be occupied at this stage.

Hey Kceire - can you let me know where I might find the public register? I'm still being informed that the delay is due to completion certificates....and if I could locate them, this would be of great help!

Advertisement