Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Got my donor boat, she is a sportique with a GM 5.7 V8.:D

DSC00587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Good man Fergal no stopping you now (ralf)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Top man Fergal!

See you at the next meet (knarl.)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Is there nowhere to hide :eek:

At Least I am not the only boat mad man.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

I think this is the point where boards boats, takes off. Fergal is here!:D

• Advertisement

Well after stripping down the donor engine I found this :eek:
    DSC00797.jpg

So today after much saving I got a new 5.7 v8 long block :D Now to get some nice chrome parts to dress her up.:)
    DSC00901.jpg

I got some new chrome bits for the engine:D and a new stand.
    DSC00913.jpg
    DSC00918.jpg

I also cleaned up the gearbox and rebuilt the carb.
    DSC00911.jpg
    DSC00914.jpg
    DSC00896.jpg
    DSC00909.jpg

Here you go DOTHEDOG just to show I am still at it.:D
    DSC01005.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

lol holy **** man thats some engine,you live here anyways ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

Its like watching art. Its unbelievable

• Advertisement

The planking on the hull is finished, now for a few weeks of sanding to get it as smooth as possible. I only used the mahogany up to what I think will be the water line as bellow that will be painted and mahogany aint cheep looks like I have to do a bit of a clean up too :D

2011-06-16115658.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Lovely boat Fergal, and one fine engine, but Jesus ! will she float that lump ?

That is the question, she should look like this.

And go like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

That's incredible - how fast should a thing like that go? Do you intend to race too?

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    That's incredible - how fast should a thing like that go? Do you intend to race too?

As it will be the only one in the country I might just go racing and be in with a shot of winning :D.
    I will be pushing 350 hp and should do 60-80 mph, the race boats are a lot lighter and have much more powerful engines bringing them well over 100mph :eek: I don't think I'd have the kahunas for that in a little wooden boat.:D

A bit more sanding today.

2011-06-20155938.jpg

That looks excellent. I would love to build one some day - I think the Zip from Glen L is a fantastic looking boat... I first came across the Glen L boats after I saw a picture you posted of your Malahini.

So it's ok to tear around choppy Irish waters with them, you don't need a calm lake?

fergal.b wrote: »
    The planking on the hull is finished, now for a few weeks of sanding to get it as smooth as possible. I only used the mahogany up to what I think will be the water line as bellow that will be painted and mahogany aint cheep looks like I have to do a bit of a clean up too :D

2011-06-16115658.jpg

I'm lost now. I thought you were building a new boat, but the hull here has old blue paint, so is this a restoration or a new build?

Also, there seems to be many parts to the hull, is that ply going back under the tarp? (there is no board or grain that I can see)

Also, is this the first or second one of these boats you have built as this thread is quite old I think and I have seen videos of you in a boat already?

What's the story Fergal, give us the chronology ;)

This is a video of my other build a Malahini.

And this is a link to the boat I am building at the moment a crackerbox.
    http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/crackerbox/

The blue is masking tape to keep the black epoxy that I am using as chalking off the wood. The bottom of the boat will be painted so I only used mahogany up to the waterline to save money and the too layers of 1/4" ply are a lot stronger.

Scabbyleg : I do use it a bit off Skerries but not when it's too rough as the bottom is quite flat and you do get a bit of a pounding.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDVzcVpdhc

This jig is a copy of the hull I made it up to help me find the angle to drill the prop shaft hole . Next step is to put the engine and gearbox on it and line it up with some 1" tubing then I will hopefully know what length prop shaft I need and if the gearbox will fit If I cant get it to sit low enough I will just have to run it off the flywheel as a direct drive "start and go" :eek:
    I think I'd better do a bit of dusting too :D

2011-06-28164644.jpg

2011-06-28164359.jpg

Engine is rebuilt now and on the mockup:) If I get a chance I hope to start it up for the first time :D
    2011-07-12142028.jpg
    2011-07-12141924.jpg
    2011-07-12141841.jpg

• Advertisement

Are you or were you ever a mechanic?

I have always played with engines from stock car racing,restoring a few old cars and boats :D more of a hobby but never got paid for it in fact whenever I go near an engine it cost me money:) A friend is letting me use his work shop to rebuild the engine as I need the heavy lifting gear.

Jesus Fergal you are a talented person, It's like watching Pimp my Ride except with class, humility and decency. :D

My only fear is that when I die the wife will sell the boat and engine for half of what she thinks I paid in to it.:eek: :D

A few ebay finds.

I got my windshield brackets after a year of bidding with no luck. I set my limit at $100 and was not going above that no mater how much wine I had as the bidding came to an end, also got a a 1950's foot throttle.

2011-06-29150518.jpg

Today the postman brought me my exhaust tips $4 plus $15 to post. I thought these would look better than the ones I got with the ski boat, I started polishing out the pitting on one today and it come up ok.

2011-07-28162148.jpg

Next is my set of faria gauges I splashed out on these $61 as I think they look the part even though the speedo only goes up to 50 MPH :D
    KGrHqEOKjkE3tbsmjEyBOF7lQEDtQ_12.jpg

YOU! my friend.......MAKE ME SICK!

Hi Fergal,

Those exhaust tips look like aluminium, just wondering if you treat them with anything after you polish? I'd imagine they'll oxidise really quickly exposed to salt water.

I could coat them in lacquer but I think I'll leave them as they are and just give them a wash and clean if they have been in salt water. My outboard has some polished aluminium on the cowling lid and around the sides and has held up well so far. Every thing gets a good wash even the trailer after a dip in the salt.

DSC00718.jpg

Very nice and shiney... love those old decals :)

I think though that's probably been polished and chemically or electrolytically treated (maybe then a clear coat on top).

I think the prob you'll have with the exhaust tips is that any protective coating is gone and the raw exposed aluminium will oxidise over again pretty quickly, with alu it's always this white powderey oxide you get.

One electrolytic process to protect alu is anodising which builds up a harder coating on the outside (actually it's an oxide too like what naturally forms). Apple do it for their iPods :D You can add dye to the process and get various colours too, you see it on various fittings on the motor.

A chemical treatment used in the aircraft industry is with a product called Alodine, it's probably a much easier way to go about it, worth a quick google in any case :)

Keep the pics flowing, it's hard to believe these windscreen brackets cost so much :eek: You think a machine shop would whip a few up in no time..

• Advertisement

It was all painted when I got it and I sanded it down to the aluminium then working with 800-1000-1500-2000 wet paper to bring up the polished finish.
    I will have a look at that Alodine as the exhaust tips will be getting wet a lot and will also have heat to deal with.
    Thanks.

Advertisement