Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Thread for all ES related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

donvito99 wrote: »
    Suggestion for Garda kit: Standard issue hurleys to replace ASPs.

It already is standard issue to any Garda who's not from Dublin!

CLADA wrote: »
    Fix it again, they were golfers ;)

Ahem:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Family held hostage as €7m stolen from BoI

Friday, 27 February 2009 20:04

An armed gang is being sought after a bank official and his family were held hostage at their Co Kildare home overnight.

It is thought up to €7m was stolen when the official was forced to go to the Bank of Ireland on College Green in Dublin and withdraw the cash.

The gang forced their way into the home of bank employee Shane Travers in Kilteel last night and took the worker's partner, Stephanie Smith, her mother, Joan Smith and Joan's five-year-old grandson hostage.

Ms Smith was beaten before the family was taken away in the family car.

Shane Travers, who is in his 20s, was then forced to drive his car to the bank.

After withdrawing the money, he handed it over to the gang at Clontarf DART station. His family was then released in the Ashbourne area, Co Meath.

The red Toyota Celica was later found burned out in an apartment block near Tolka House Pub, Glasnevin.

Gardaí are now appealing for information on the movements of the cars used in the incident - the bank official's red Toyota Celica (99-D-8856) and the family's dark Volkswagen Golf (05-D-33720).

The men involved are described as being very tall and one is of particularly strong build and may be a bodybuilder.

Anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Rathcoole/Kilteel areas at around 5.30am this morning, or in the Clontarf or Ashbourne areas after 7am, are asked to contact gardaí on 045 884389.

No shots were fired during the incident but the family is said to be extremely traumatised.

Proper procedures not followed - Ahern

Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern has said proper procedures were not followed during the raid this morning.

Mr Ahern expressed his shock that such a heist could result from one man being targeted.

The Minister confirmed this afternoon that gardaí were not contacted until the money had left bank premises, which is said is not in compliance with proper procedures.

Mr Ahern said several issues of concern have been raised and discussions between the bank authorities and gardaí would take place.

He said he was concerned about the way the matter was handled, and that the main focus now is to investigate the matter.

Although he did not confirm the amount stolen, he said media reports are not far off the mark.

Mr Ahern confirmed that the CEO of the Bank of Ireland has emailed all staff following the robbery reminding them of the procedures which should be followed when such events occurred.

He said it is easy for people to say that things should have been done better, however he said an enormous amount of pressure comes on staff when such events occur.

The Minister said he is in no way critical of the people involved but he said the banks must ensure that any gaps exposed as a result of the robbery are closed and closed quickly.

New Bank of Ireland Chief Executive Richie Boucher sent an email to all staff this afternoon to remind them of the bank's security procedures.

He said: 'Our priority is always for the safety and well-being of all staff. I am sure this incident will raise concerns. Our best defence is to follow tried and tested procedures.

'I would ask everybody to remind themselves of these procedures, which are there to protect you, your families and the bank.'
    It is thought up to €7m was stolen when the official was forced to go to the Bank of Ireland on College Green in Dublin and withdraw the cash.

Typical. I can only withdraw 300 quid at a time on my card! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The Minister confirmed this afternoon that gardaí were not contacted until the money had left bank premises, which is said is not in compliance with proper procedures.

What does this mean or relate to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Random wrote: »
    What does this mean or relate to?

He's talking about the security procedures that were agreed between the Gardaí and the banks and which are supposed to be followed by banks in the event of these crimes.

• Advertisement

cushtac wrote: »
    He's talking about the security procedures that were agreed between the Gardaí and the banks and which are supposed to be followed by banks in the event of these crimes.
    What are these? That there's some button in the vault that tells the Garda that something is going down but not to rush in? I'm assuming it's public knowledge if it's mentioned in the news article?

What are these??

That'd be operational information and not best discussed here, ye should know that by now :p

I think my querys were fair and justified based on the information provided in the article. I posted expecting an answer or a "nope, it's a secret". So I'm happy enough anyway :)

What are these? That there's some button in the vault that tells the Garda that something is going down but not to rush in? I'm assuming it's public knowledge if it's mentioned in the news article?

Are you for real????

What would be the point in having security measures to mitigate against this kind of thing if their exact nature was public knowledge?? And do you really think that anyone in the know would advertise the fact here then tell you all about it???

cushtac wrote: »
    Are you for real????

What would be the point in having security measures to mitigate against this kind of thing if their exact nature was public knowledge?? And do you really think that anyone in the know would advertise the fact here then tell you all about it???
    I feel my question is perfectly reasonable and justified considering the comments in the article.
    Proper procedures not followed - Ahern

Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern has said proper procedures were not followed during the raid this morning.

Mr Ahern said several issues of concern have been raised and discussions between the bank authorities and gardaí would take place.

He said he was concerned about the way the matter was handled, and that the main focus now is to investigate the matter.

I'm happy with a "go away, it's a secret" as I say, but if it was public knowledge (as suggested by Mr Ahern perhaps going on about it) then I'd like to know about it.

That is all.

• Advertisement

I feel my question is perfectly reasonable and justified considering the comments in the article.

You think it's perfectly reasonable to expect people to discuss the specifics of bank security on an open forum, on the day after after a bank official & his family were assaulted and terrorised?

I'm happy with a "go away, it's a secret" as I say, but if it was public knowledge (as suggested by Mr Ahern perhaps going on about it) then I'd like to know about it.

That is all.

The mere fact that the existence of something is public knowledge doesn't mean you have the right to know anything about it. The existence of Portlaoise prison is public knowledge, that doesn't mean the specifics of the prison's security arrangements should be public too.

Use your loaf.

I don't believe I have the right to know anything that I shouldn't. I felt asking if it was public knowledge and if it was could someone tell me about it was fair and reasonable based on the comments in the article. I guess we're gonna differ on this one so we'll just have to agree to leave it there - we're dragging this thread off course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I dont know exact ins and outs about this case but the one thing I do feel is unfair is how the banks are being blamed for not alerting Gardai sooner.

The person in question had only one concern, his families safety. Money must always be secondary to life and I personally feel any bank that thinks the same as me should be applauded not condemned.

Now, there may or may not be factors I am unaware of but that my take at the moment and if my family were threatened, sorry but apprehending suspects is at best, my secondary concern.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It is coming to the point where Bank workers are going to beed personal panic alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Mr Ahern expressed his shock that such a heist could result from one man being targeted.

Tbh Im shocked Ahern is so shocked that one man was targeted. Has he never heard of the Northern Bank job??

I cannot understand how this type of job can still be carried out. Im blaming the guy or his family, in fact I hope they recover from this ordeal. God only knows it may take some time. If one of the security procedures in place is for the employee to alert Gardai he has a gun to his head, then who ever dreamed up that rule should be shot with balls of their own ****e.

Im presuming this raid on the bank took place at night so why is the bank's alarm not being monitored? Why is it no one knew the alarm had been deactivated during the night? And why the hell is there no time lock on the vault? The latter is a very basic security measure.

If this money is insured then an insurance company/Central Bank should refuse to pay out. Let BoI foot the bill for this absolute travesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Don't get too frustrated about this robbery. I'll let you in on a secret, it has a happy ending ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I wonder will the full details be disclosed as regards procedures and regulations in the bank should an event occur. I mean it's not like they never spoke of an event like it happening, or could they be that naieve :confused: . Time will tell I suppose ... just like everything else :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Don't get too frustrated about this robbery. I'll let you in on a secret, it has a happy ending ;)

;)

Seven arrested over Bank of Ireland raid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Fair play didnt expect that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    Fair play didnt expect that. :D
    Wouldn't be much of a "raid" then, would it?:D

• Advertisement

it has a happy ending ;)

If its anything other than "and lo' metman's fortune did change and much beer was drank on his discovering 7 million euro in his account", I'm going to be very frikkin disappointed :D

28/02/2009 - 18:08:31
    A 23-year-old man has been charged with the murder of Garryowen rugby player Shane Geoghegan.

Barry Doyle, originally from Portland Row in Dublin, but with an address at Hyde Road in Limerick, has been charged at a special sitting of Limerick District Court this afternoon.

Geoghegan was killed close to his home in Dooradoyle in Limerick on November 9, 2008.

He was shot nine times with a Glock semi-automatic pistol when he tried to run from his killer hours after watching Ireland beat Canada in his native city.

He was hit three times in the upper body and once in the head, apparently the victim of mistaken identity in a city gripped by a bitter turf war between rival crime families.

Sixteen people died last year in violence related to a feud involving three rival Limerick families.

Fifteen people have been arrested for questioning about the Geoghegan murder and seven remain in custody.

This and a cracking result in 6N makes me very happy indeed!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

metman wrote: »
    If its anything other than "and lo' metman's fortune did change and much beer was drank on his discovering 7 million euro in his account", I'm going to be very frikkin disappointed :D

That's not a happy ending, that's a fairytale ending :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

deadwood wrote: »
    Wouldn't be much of a "raid" then, would it?:D

:p

That's not a happy ending, that's a fairytale ending :p

Dayum son I know that, so where my 7 million euros at? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Banks to review security procedures

The country's banks and financial institutions are to carry out a full review of security procedures following the theft of €7.6m from Bank of Ireland last Friday.
    Senior security personnel met with senior garda officers, led by an Assistant Commissioner, in charge of crime and security at Garda Headquarters this morning.
    After the meeting a garda spokesman said a full and frank discussion took place where all issues were examined.

The meeting was arranged to review the operation of the security protocol in all banks and to try to establish why staff at BoI failed to adhere to it.
    BoI says it has no comment in relation to why gardaí were not alerted to last Friday's raid in time.
    RTÉ News has also learned that the bank official who was forced to hand over the money also told another bank employee that the gang was monitoring their home.
    It is understood Shane Travers showed a senior staff member a photograph of their home which was taken by the gang.
    Seven people are still being questioned in connection with the raid and a Dublin District Court extended their periods of detention last night by another 24 hours.
    However, three of those seven have gone to the High Court seeking their release, as they claim their period of detention is unlawful.
    The amount of money recovered from the robbery of Dublin city centre's College Green branch of the bank is now put at €1.8m.
    A previous estimate had put the amount recovered at €4m.
    A gang forced their way into the home of Mr Travers in Kilteel, Co Kildare, last Thursday night.
    Mr Travers was forced to withdraw €7.6m from the bank while his partner, Stephanie Smith, her mother, Joan Smith and Joan's five-year-old grandson were held hostage.
    Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy and Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern held discussions over the weekend and agreed that senior garda officers should meet security personnel from the country's financial institutions.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Banks to review security procedures

They've ordered one of these mattresses!
    materasso_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=9492&locID=1.2.&pagename=news A link to a piece on the tv3 news just now about Martin Cullen.

Aparently the former Minister for Transport was in a helicopter flying over Killarney when a door fell right off the helicopter and they have to make an emergency landing at a golf-course ... What are the odds like :pac:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    What are the odds like :pac:

50/50. Either it'll fall off or it won't? :D

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Aparently the former Minister for Transport was in a helicopter flying over Killarney when a door fell right off the helicopter and they have to make an emergency landing at a golf-course ... What are the odds like :pac:
    It's a little comment on the Celtic Tiger - ministers . . . . helicopters . . .golf course . . . .and the door fell off!

Advertisement