Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well if Slane turns out to be a train wreck I'll be sure to quote myself in 3 months time!

slane will be fine, most will enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Hopefully Kirk remembers to back his **** up this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Well if Slane turns out to be a train wreck ...
    It won't be! Metallica will kick arse live like they always do.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Looks like Metallica are doing another S&M gig https://www.metallica.com/news/2019-03-18-s-and-m-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭rob316

20 years already!

I love that show if I'm honest, sums up my I like Metallica constantly not afraid to change their sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I doubt it but it would be nice if we got a new song for this. No Leaf Clover is an excellent song.

I quite like the S&M album although I find the orchestra worked better with the newer songs than it did with stuff off Puppets etc.

I'm wondering if it's just another live performance of S&M, or if it's a new set list. Either way, I can't wait!

feylya wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it's just another live performance of S&M, or if it's a new set list. Either way, I can't wait!

it ll be interesting to see the output of it, but id rather be going to it

Oddly, it's going to be in the round. That's going to be awkward for the orchestra and the positioning of the band amongst them.

Oddly, it's going to be in the round. That's going to be awkward for the orchestra and the positioning of the band amongst them.

ah it ll be grand, they ll work it out

• Advertisement

As long as I get floor, or low tiered seating, I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The blurb on the email I just got mentioned celebrating the 20th anniversary of S&M and some new orchestrations of songs that have been released since the original S&M which sounds like anything off St.Anger, Death Magnetic and Hardwired.

Invisible kid with an orchestra anyone?!!

lord lucan wrote: »
    The blurb on the email I just got mentioned celebrating the 20th anniversary of S&M and some new orchestrations of songs that have been released since the original S&M which sounds like anything off St.Anger, Death Magnetic and Hardwired.

Invisible kid with an orchestra anyone?!!
    The S&M² concert will feature the first live performances of these arrangements in 20 years, plus the first ever Metallica/San Francisco Symphony renditions of songs written and released since the original S&M, with new orchestral charts by Bruce Coughlin.

I was too excited to read properly. I want an orchestral Suicide And Redemption!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I was too excited to read properly. I want an orchestral Suicide And Redemption!

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

As long as I get floor, or low tiered seating, I'll be happy enough.

As it's a basketball arena and they're in the round, there's probably a good chance that the orchestra will take up the rest of the floor. Just a guess though

As it's a basketball arena and they're in the round, there's probably a good chance that the orchestra will take up the rest of the floor. Just a guess though

The seating chart suggests there's ground floor seating. Guess we'll find out tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭fluke

I'll be pretty chuffed if they were to include something off of Kill 'Em All, and include Fade to Black.

S&M has grown on me over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It would be a bit of a waste of the one off concert if they had too much from the original setlist, I'd love to see as much new mixes as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

loved S&M but looks so outdated nowadays in terms of pic/sound quality

didnt the orginal composser die a few years ago ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    loved S&M but looks so outdated nowadays in terms of pic/sound quality

didnt the orginal composser die a few years ago ??

Yeah, Michael Kamen. He did the orchestra arrangements on NEM too. Which leads me to saying to check out the ‘elevator’ version of NEM if you haven’t already as it’s superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder will they record it and release it or maybe stream on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wonder will they record it and release it or maybe stream on YouTube

I'd say it would be more like what they did with the Helping Hands concert - limited release on Vinyl.

I'd say it would be more like what they did with the Helping Hands concert - limited release on Vinyl.

Which you can also get on CD.

Okon wrote: »
    Which you can also get on CD.

Can you? Thought it was vinyl only?

Can you? Thought it was vinyl only?

Most - if not all - Metallica concerts these days can be purchased on CD from Metallica.com and their LiveMetallica site. The limited edition vinyl releases of some gigs (Webster Hall, House of Vans, AWMH benefit, etc. ) probably make them more profit though!

Okon wrote: »
    Most - if not all - Metallica concerts these days can be purchased on CD from Metallica.com and their LiveMetallica site. The limited edition vinyl releases of some gigs (Webster Hall, House of Vans, AWMH benefit, etc. ) probably make them more profit though!

Ah that makes sense alright, for some reason I thought that was vinyl only.

Might track that concert down now actually :D

Ah that makes sense alright, for some reason I thought that was vinyl only.

Might track that concert down now actually :D

In keeping with the helping hands theme, here's the link for that gig for you... :)

http://www.livemetallica.com//live-music/0,682/Metallica-mp3-flac-download-11-3-2018-SF-Masonic-San-Francisco-CA.html

Okon wrote:
    In keeping with the helping hands theme, here's the link for that gig for you...

I'd imagine you d find it on the internets for free

Trying to get tickets for S&M2 is impossible. I had a legacy member code, and I couldn't get the ****ing website to work. Properly ****ing pissed off about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sparko

Trying to get tickets for S&M2 is impossible. I had a legacy member code, and I couldn't get the ****ing website to work. Properly ****ing pissed off about it.

I tried with a Fifth Member code when those codes went live at 10am PST, took a minute or so to get in but once I was in and actually tried to buy a ticket it said none were available and I tried all the types. Whatever they allocated for the various presales must have flown out the door.

I'll have another go when they go on standard release.

Advertisement