Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Can I skip charitable trusts and tracing and have any hope of passing this exam? Panic is setting in now and I am considering not even going.

I have covered
    Injunctions
    Trustees
    Estoppel
    Recission
    Specific Performance
    3 certainties
    strong v bird
    dmc
    presumption of advancement

am i screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Leraf wrote: »
    Can I skip charitable trusts and tracing and have any hope of passing this exam? Panic is setting in now and I am considering not even going.

I have covered
    Injunctions
    Trustees
    Estoppel
    Recission
    Specific Performance
    3 certainties
    strong v bird
    dmc

am i screwed?

I'm not sitting Equity this time but I was in your EXACT position last time round. I wasn't going to bother going the night before the exam because I hadn't covered half the course (I cut all trusts except charitable and 3 certainties). The paper didn't go great, I had 3 good Qs, I only answered 1 out of the 3 notes and my final question on estoppel was a dog's dinner, but somehow I scraped a pass. Definitely go, you will be kicking yourself if everybody comes out and you find out that all your topics came up and you would've been able to do 5 questions.

In relation to your topics, I was convinced SP and 3 certainties were coming up last time and they didn't so I'd say they are v likely to come up. Feel like it's been a while since she has asked 2 injunction Qs in the 1 paper so there is a good possibility that might happen. All your other topics often come up in note questions and that's a bonus because there's no difficulty in identifying problems etc or arguing your case. Tracing and charitable both came up as standalone Qs last time (I think) so, while charitable always does make an appearance, not the end of the world that you're cutting tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Contract:

Can anyone explain the difference in the Mercini Lady and Air Tranworth Ltd v Bombardier Ltd?

I'm not sitting Equity this time but I was in your EXACT position last time round. I wasn't going to bother going the night before the exam because I hadn't covered half the course (I cut all trusts except charitable and 3 certainties). The paper didn't go great, I had 3 good Qs, I only answered 1 out of the 3 notes and my final question on estoppel was a dog's dinner, but somehow I scraped a pass. Definitely go, you will be kicking yourself if everybody comes out and you find out that all your topics came up and you would've been able to do 5 questions.

In relation to your topics, I was convinced SP and 3 certainties were coming up last time and they didn't so I'd say they are v likely to come up. Feel like it's been a while since she has asked 2 injunction Qs in the 1 paper so there is a good possibility that might happen. All your other topics often come up in note questions and that's a bonus because there's no difficulty in identifying problems etc or arguing your case. Tracing and charitable both came up as standalone Qs last time (I think) so, while charitable always does make an appearance, not the end of the world that you're cutting tracing.

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Any Contract predictions being bandied about?

Momma needs to cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

I have covered
    Injunctions
    Trustees
    Estoppel
    Recission
    Specific Performance
    3 certainties
    strong v bird
    dmc

am i screwed?

Feel the exact same as you right now

I only have charitable, constructive, injunctions, SP, DMC and 3 certainties so likelihood of passing isn't great but nothing to lose in sitting it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

In relation to interlocutory injunctions, is it in considering adequacy of damages per Campus Oil test that you apply the Shelfer principles?

My brain is fried at this stage...

Any Contract predictions being bandied about?

Momma needs to cut

Mistake and illegality, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

My god, my notes for certainty of objects are woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Smiley283 wrote: »
    My god, my notes for certainty of objects are woeful

I was about to say the same thing, i'm all over the place! Every time i look at them - i change them. Suffice to say my answer will be pure waffle if it comes up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

I have covered
    Injunctions
    Trustees
    Estoppel
    Recission
    Specific Performance
    3 certainties
    strong v bird
    dmc

am i screwed?

I passed in October and only 2 Of my topics came up. Was rightly screwed, basically laughing in the exam but gave it my best shot and just attempted the 3 I could best give a go out of the rest..and I passed by way of a miracle!

Definitely try it and if caught badly still attempt 5 questions, they can’t give you marks for blank pages but they can for educated waffle!!

The topic of Sources of EU Law - is that just regulations, directives and decisions?

I think so, I was going to leave this out as I don’t know how it comes up.. I just have a base line knowledge for answering a Q on direct effect

kasey0123 wrote: »
    I passed in October and only 2 Of my topics came up. Was rightly screwed, basically laughing in the exam but gave it my best shot and just attempted the 3 I could best give a go out of the rest..and I passed by way of a miracle!

Definitely try it and if caught badly still attempt 5 questions, they can’t give you marks for blank pages but they can for educated waffle!!

These are the stories that we all need to hear, I pray for some luck tomorrow. Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Specific performance is a nightmare - it can literally come up so many ways, no prediction with it at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fe12017

Hi all, can anyone give me some guidance on the courts departure from campus oil test? What are the main cases that you have for this? My notes are quite messy on this and I’m quite confused! Any help appreciated! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

For FMW and citizenship are people covering criminal convictions, I don't have much on it in my manual but saw it came up in 2017, what ye saying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Fe12017 wrote: »
    Hi all, can anyone give me some guidance on the courts departure from campus oil test? What are the main cases that you have for this? My notes are quite messy on this and I’m quite confused! Any help appreciated! Cheers

I have 8 situations where you depart from Campus Oil:

1. Mantatory Interlocutory injunctions - Lingham v HSE

2. Where parties agree the interlocutory hearing will constitute the trial of the action

3. Where there is no arguable defence - Keating & Co. v Jervis Shopping Centre

4. Where an interlocutory injunction is sought to restrain industrial action - G&T Campton Ltd v Building & Allied Trades Union, Malincross Ltd v Building Allied Trades Union, Dary Blocklaying Ltd v Building Allied Trades Union, and Dublin Airport Authority plc v Services Industrial Professional Technical Union

5. Where an interlocutory injunction is sought to restrain the publication of allegedly defamatory material - Bonnard v Perryman, Sinclair v Gogarty, Reynolds v Malocco, Quinlan v O'Dea, Cogley v RTE, Foley v Sunday Newspapers, Murray v Newsgroup Newspapers Ltd and O'Brien v RTE

6. Where an interlocutory injunction is sought to restrain the presentation of a petition for the winding-up of a company - Truck Machinery Sales Ltd v Maubeni Komatsu, Cotton Box Design Group Ltd v Earls Construction Ltd and Donal Rigney Ltd v Empresa de Construcoes Amanda Carvalho

7. Where the trial of the action is unlikely - NWL Ltd v Woods, Cayne v Global Resources plc, Lansing Linde Ltd v Kerr and Jacob v Irish Amateur Rowing Union Ltd

8. Where the interlocutory injunction is sought in a public law context - Okunade v MJELR

I hope this helps. I haven't learnt off these cases, I'll probably just choose the one that sticks out the most in each departure

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Tracing:
    A bit last minute but hoping someone can help- what’s the position if a bona fide purchaser buys something from a trustee who has bought said object from trust money? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ameliaearhart

hi all, for contract this question came up in 2016 "In respect of pre-contractual verbal statements, how do the Courts decide what is and what is not a term of the contract?"

Would this be a discussion of the parol evidence rules and the exceptions to it ?

hi all, for contract this question came up in 2016 "In respect of pre-contractual verbal statements, how do the Courts decide what is and what is not a term of the contract?"

Would this be a discussion of the parol evidence rules and the exceptions to it ?

Sorry just looked at this again - possibly warranties v mere representations?

As parole evidence is more to explain the actual contract or things missing from it I think? I could be wrong.

Think you could also talk about collateral undertakings but think parole evidence or warranties/ representations what she wanted - essays are so specific I won’t be able to write more than a page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

The Parol Evidence rule is more to do with interpreting the content of the contract.
    As mentioned above, best bet would be to focus on it from misrepresentation point of view

user115 wrote: »
    For FMW and citizenship are people covering criminal convictions, I don't have much on it in my manual but saw it came up in 2017, what ye saying for it?

I simply have the fact that under the Citizenship Directive previous criminal convictions doesn't constitute grounds for chucking someone out

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xBell123

EU

Is it worth learning Art 101 and 102 only for competition? Leaving out state aid and mergers.

Or do they come up as a combined question?

Maybe a sneaky idea, but can we use different colour highlighters for our legislation? Like yellow for one topic, pink for another

Maybe a sneaky idea, but can we use different colour highlighters for our legislation? Like yellow for one topic, pink for another

I did this for constituional and was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Naddy666

Are you allowed to highlight the Legislation or just tab it?

Naddy666 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to highlight the Legislation or just tab it?

Both, just no writing

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Naddy666

Both, just no writing

That's great thank you :)

xBell123 wrote: »
    EU

Is it worth learning Art 101 and 102 only for competition? Leaving out state aid and mergers.

Or do they come up as a combined question?

I’m debating this but I don’t think it’s worth the effort for the chance they come up mixed... I plan on just knowing everything else really well so I’m not caught.. hopefully

• Advertisement

Anyone who has done EU.. what are your thoughts on using the legislation for ALOT of theory, I’m glazing overthings because I know it’s in the legislation like equality, legislative procedures institutions etc ... bad idea ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement