Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I'm really bad for doing half his face and leaving the other half til our next session so he walks around looking like he's winking at you...

Groomers everywhere would hate me! :D

Unfortunately many groomers don't know how to hand strip so just clip!

I love when mine go off to help train students!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Knine wrote: »
    Unfortunately many groomers don't know how to hand strip so just clip!

I love when mine go off to help train students!

It's really common in Scotland and he was done there for years with no hassle, but no one seems to do it here so he's subjected to my half-assed amateur attempts. I should arrange to get someone to show me how to do it properly at some stage! Nudge nudge, wink wink. ;)

Choc Chip wrote: »
    It's really common in Scotland and he was done there for years with no hassle, but no one seems to do it here so he's subjected to my half-assed amateur attempts. I should arrange to get someone to show me how to do it properly at some stage! Nudge nudge, wink wink. ;)

I will show you no problem. Give you a few more to practice on!

I will show you no problem. Give you a few more to practice on!

You're so generous! ;) I genuinely would take you up on that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ohhhh my Esmae is a full of beans ... seriously needs agility!!! We spent hours trick training & she’s still going...

• Advertisement

And finally...

Anyone else get pee'd off by random peeing?

Someone decided that since the stair gate was down for maintenance, they'd christen upstairs by piddling on all the spare bedrooms. 5 years old. House trained. Always asks to go out. Obviously we should piddle in new rooms.

I ignored this and just cleaned it up, but I may have texted aggressively about it for about an hour afterwards. ;)

Esmae turns into a gremlin crinkle crisp when wet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Had my sisters dog for a while yesterday, love her to bits but I genuinely wonder how she is a working breed :pac:

we had a collie for years, and he was a pampered house pooch but he still slept on the tiles if there wasnt a bed where he wanted to be, ran around in the rain, wind and snow, despised his coat and tried to eat the towel if you tried to dry him.

My sisters gsp just wants to be cuddled and wrapped in blankets all day, she wont go out if its wet, she comes in and shivers till you dry her if its misty outside, she wanders round the house in her fleece pyjamas if its cold, she will go get her blanket and drag it to where she wants to be so she doesnt have to sit on the bare floor...

Is she an oddity or does anyone else have a pointer like her? I cant imagine she would survive if she had to actually work! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lucy killed again this morning! Poor snowman in the park didn't stand a chance - mauled and eaten! :p

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Lucy killed again this morning! Poor snowman in the park didn't stand a chance - mauled and eaten! :p

Yum...

We had a good amount of buildup in our courtyard so Mr C was pretty excited to fox dive in the small drifts...Esmae with her fox like face and double coat was like ‘not a chance am I going out in that’ although she did try to catch the flakes if I held her up.

Piggies enjoyed the bit we got on the balcony as they run and burrow in it and then popcorn on to the heated snuggle pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

TG1 wrote: »
    Had my sisters dog for a while yesterday, love her to bits but I genuinely wonder how she is a working breed :pac:

we had a collie for years, and he was a pampered house pooch but he still slept on the tiles if there wasnt a bed where he wanted to be, ran around in the rain, wind and snow, despised his coat and tried to eat the towel if you tried to dry him.

My sisters gsp just wants to be cuddled and wrapped in blankets all day, she wont go out if its wet, she comes in and shivers till you dry her if its misty outside, she wanders round the house in her fleece pyjamas if its cold, she will go get her blanket and drag it to where she wants to be so she doesnt have to sit on the bare floor...

Is she an oddity or does anyone else have a pointer like her? I cant imagine she would survive if she had to actually work! :pac:

shes sounds like a real cutie!
    Theres lots of failed gun dogs - gun shy - she sounds like a bit of a diva?!?
    Theres an absolutely fabulous long haired pointer that walks by our house sometimes he was gun shy and was rehomed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Has anyone called the dog warden to report a loose dog before? There's one on our road (a country road which people drive crazy speeds on!) and it's left out to just wander up and down, it wanders in and out of our garden and doesn't have much road sense.

It's a gorgeous dog, long haired collie, but I'm just getting sick of the amount of loose dogs around. I'm not sure which house owns it.

I could try and find the owner and approach them. But lets be honest, they know they live on a narrow country road, where 9 out of 10 cars are speeding at 70-80kmh, so they obviously don't see an issue.

Has anyone called the dog warden to report a loose dog before? There's one on our road (a country road which people drive crazy speeds on!) and it's left out to just wander up and down, it wanders in and out of our garden and doesn't have much road sense.

It's a gorgeous dog, long haired collie, but I'm just getting sick of the amount of loose dogs around. I'm not sure which house owns it.

I could try and find the owner and approach them. But lets be honest, they know they live on a narrow country road, where 9 out of 10 cars are speeding at 70-80kmh, so they obviously don't see an issue.

Call the warden. The dog should be chipped per microchipping laws so all the warden should need to do is scan it. The dog could cause an accident and get both himself and some innocent person(s) killed because of it's owners letting it roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Do I need to call immediately when I see it? Or if I call and tell them when and where it usually is, will they just call out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Anyone else glued to crufts? I love having a smart tv so I can watch the live stream on YouTube :D

Anyone else glued to crufts? I love having a smart tv so I can watch the live stream on YouTube :D

I'm looking forward to going at the Weekend!

Yep we enjoyed it, we really only like to watch the activities not the judging. Both ours watched with no issues as it was on mute cause the barking frightened one & over excites Esmea. I especially loved the sheltie who didn't get too far and then the little chocolate pom who was excluded, but looked like he had soon much fun.

i'm doing some cavaletti training with Esmea as she loves constructive / task orientated play whereas Mr C just likes to do his own thing.

I'm looking forward to going at the Weekend!

What, you're leaving the puppers! A well earned break I'd say...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

We've been thinking about getting another cat and were concerned that our existing cat Pangur wouldn't take kindly to a new face coming in on her territory. We noticed last night though a (hopefully not stray) cat hanging around outside the house and brought Pangur up to the window to meet him/her. She seemed slightly interested in the strange cat but didn't hiss or get her hackles up at all so we're very encouraged. Yay new kitty for the house!

On the other hand, I was slightly concerned to see the strange cat still hanging around the estate this morning. Darting under cars and being very inquisitive. No collar but looks well fed and clean. How am I supposed to know if he/she is a stray or just someone's outdoor cat? How long do I leave it before trying to catch him/her and take them to a vet to check? My husband thinks he's seen this cat before in the estate so maybe it is just someone's outdoor cat who is roaming a bit further than normal?

• Advertisement

em_cat wrote: »
    What, you're leaving the puppers! A well earned break I'd say...:)

My doggie minder - might have stole him by the time I get back. I am sure he will send me regular Pupdates!.

I can't be missing Cruftmas!

My doggie minder - might have stole him by the time I get back. I am sure he will send me regular Pupdates!.

I can't be missing Cruftmas!

Waaaaa :(:(

(I was supposed to be going with Knine... so we could be bankrupt together :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    We've been thinking about getting another cat and were concerned that our existing cat Pangur wouldn't take kindly to a new face coming in on her territory. We noticed last night though a (hopefully not stray) cat hanging around outside the house and brought Pangur up to the window to meet him/her. She seemed slightly interested in the strange cat but didn't hiss or get her hackles up at all so we're very encouraged. Yay new kitty for the house!

On the other hand, I was slightly concerned to see the strange cat still hanging around the estate this morning. Darting under cars and being very inquisitive. No collar but looks well fed and clean. How am I supposed to know if he/she is a stray or just someone's outdoor cat? How long do I leave it before trying to catch him/her and take them to a vet to check? My husband thinks he's seen this cat before in the estate so maybe it is just someone's outdoor cat who is roaming a bit further than normal?

The cat is clearly cared for so not an issue. Mine roam free and are fine. I once had a cat appropriated by a neighbour who thought as you are doing! There are no laws re collars etc for cats. he is just doing what well cared for cats do so please do not worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Yesterday evening I came home to find a young black cat looking in my window, it half ran away but I kneeled down to call it over. The noise out of it, think bengal howling, the neighbours ran outside thinking something was injured. But it was extremely friendly crawling into my lap while meowing constantly, I had a job getting back in my door without it running in. Never seen it before now in the estate but it hung outside my house occasionally howling in at my window all evening/ into the night. Felt awful for it but don't know if it's a neighbour's cat or its lost. Looks healthy but it was a wild night to be out in, didn't look like it's was used to being outdoors.

I left a dpd crate with a blanket on the porch because it was an awful night and it was soaked wet but didn't feed it. This morning my dpd crate and blanket are gone, presuming either dpd or someone else lifted it? Got a damaged zooplus delivery in it a few weeks ago. Would dpd just pick it back up again if they were passing?

So I took Esmae up to Phoenix Park this morning to play recall fetch, do some loose leash training and was visibly doing so. Esmae was harnessed and attached to a 25ft training lead attached to me, she was mastering bringing her toy back to me and we where having so much fun!

Along comes some little white fluffy Maltese x and I shouted to the owners who were no where to be seen to call back their designer pooch... did they NO!

So I threw some training treats at the dog and moved elsewhere, then the little sh*te bulldozed over again and tried to ‘play’ with Esmae, she was so freaked out she jumped into my arms and I had to leash their dog, pegged a Garda car nearby and took it over to them and the abuse I got off the owners for doing that was something to behold.

I’ve never been in that situation before and it left me shaken and praying that Esmae will not become reactive.

^
    I think how you react affects how the dog will react - and to what level depends on the dog. We had somebody basically flip out in our house (I wasn't there to get the dogs away) and the dogs were very frightened and bolted :( Even now a few years later Lucy is very very sensitive if you so much as tut let alone raise your voice - OMG if my mam is watching something like the Cube the dogs are both staring at her with concern the whole time from her gasping lol :o My friend is always giving out to her dog for digging, not coming to her etc etc (not in a cruel way) but Lucy just stares at her like what's wrong with her/why is she angry?! Same friend would be quite protective of her dog and it's made the dog a bit reactive in that she's reacting to her owner's fear (imo). Same with the dogs if there's an accident and they get injured she panics where I kind of take a step back and try to remain calm and in control.

I totally agree about trying to be calm, unfortunately by my nature I’m high strung & being noticeably disabled hasn’t helped that.

I do find it very hard in those situations & since my accident a couple of years ago, I often feel pretty vunerable. I was just p’d off cause it kept coming over and then it jumped on Esmae.

It wasn’t aggressive or bully, probably just wanted to play or knew I had treats.

Today Mr C slipped his harness & after a full 45 mins of ignoring me, running full pelt, running up to other dog walkers. I was petrified & mortified but all I could do was sit down becuse I couldn’t do anything. A lovely lady with a couple of beagles helped to tire him out & eventually he collapsed next to us. Esmae just stayed with me of her own accord and did some ‘gardening’.

I know Mr C needs to be able to run and I’d love for him to do it off lead but his hips & knees are in such a bad state that it is difficult to balance it. We do heaps of enrichment stuff everyday but nothing beats a good pelt run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've just read in the Irish Times that a noted "rescue" in the South West is to be closed down with "Revenue raising serious concerns" over €150k in cash payments. I'm not going to link the article as it mentions the "rescue" by name, but it's the one that everybody knows and talks about and had an "army" of cult followers:rolleyes:

I've just read in the Irish Times that a noted "rescue" in the South West is to be closed down with "Revenue raising serious concerns" over €150k in cash payments. I'm not going to link the article as it mentions the "rescue" by name, but it's the one that everybody knows and talks about and had an "army" of cult followers:rolleyes:

Blast those ‘trustees’. I managed 1 min of their video on FB and couldn’t listen to any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Really fussy eater cat :mad:
    Shes also just decided that she doesnt like the really expensive wet food that Ive just stocked up on :mad::mad:
    Today outside the back door, saw a cold/cooked brussels sprout that I dropped on the way to the hens - and there she (fussy cat) was, munching the bloody sprout! What the heck is that about?!?!?
    Cats :rolleyes:

Advertisement