Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civilization 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Sciprio wrote: »
    I also play conquest domination just taking over the whole map so i don't like being penalised for capturing cities and believe it or not in all those games i played since 2 i never onlce played a Science/cultural win. :pac:

Warmonger penalties aren't a great design - so I think they're changing in the new expansion. But for the moment, you'll just have to utilise the Causus Belli mechanic and make sure that you peace out before taking the last city - making sure they Cede the cities they've captured to you in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Warmonger penalties aren't a great design - so I think they're changing in the new expansion. But for the moment, you'll just have to utilise the Causus Belli mechanic and make sure that you peace out before taking the last city - making sure they Cede the cities they've captured to you in the process.
    Thanks for that but it'll be a while til i play 6 again as i've just started a new game in Civ 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I know this is PC Gaming but just had my first ever cultural win on the Switch yesterday.

Civ on the Switch is frickin dangerous! 1 more turn, but portable :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gathering Storm is out today, I just picked it up, but I have no idea when I'll have time to play it :D

But a proper World Congress and the climate change mechanics look pretty cool. I've been watching Firaxis, Marbozir and Quill18's YouTubes in the run up to the release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So ala Civ5, is Civ6 finally a 'proper' game with the release of the second expansion? This has felt like a game that struggled to break out of its predecessors shadow...

• Advertisement

That seems to be the prevailing thought amongst the fan base, but honestly, I really love Civ VI and appreciate the differences between it and V, but I acknowledge that I appear to be in the minority :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Have watched some of Quill's videos too and the changes to gameplay are fairly minor. The world congress was in Civ V. Expiring resources is a good change. Definitely not worth €40 anyway and I've over 200 hours played, happy to wait for it to reach a more reasonable €20

I paid €30 and tbh, I think that's ok given the return on investment vs the obscene number of hours it takes to play :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I like it, but still haven't got my head around how diplomatic victory works.

The new strategic resources takes some getting used to as well. Having a real oil shortage problem in my game, and it seems none of the other Civs have any oil at all so trade is out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sweden are an absolute cultural behemoth, I was only playing on the third hardest difficulty to get used to the new mechanics, and completely by accident won a cultural victory (which I had thought I had disabled, not a huge fan of it as you literally don't seem able to stop yourself from winning, and once it's over I have zero motivation to keep on playing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

awec wrote: »
    The new strategic resources takes some getting used to as well.

It's a real sea-change alright, but I really like it. Now you need more resources for that bigger army, not just a minimum, and it makes horse trading a bigger deal if you have the patience to be maxxing it.

I'm also finding diplomacy a lot more ... forgiving. Mind you I haven't gone domination yet, so we'll see how that works. First victory was diplomatic on King, got downvoted a few times, and I'll be honest, I was playing for culture the whole way through but missed out on a few wonders, and only one other civ was focusing it, but they focused it bigtime. Couldn't wear them down. Settled for diplomacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

awec wrote: »
    I like it, but still haven't got my head around how diplomatic victory works.

Over the course of the game, you can earn diplo victory points. Most of these will come from special victory voting in the world congress from around Modern era onwards; but you can also gain points by completing certain emergencies, building the Statue of Liberty, or researching certain Future era techs/civics.

On standard speed (unsure if it's any different on faster/slower speeds), you need 10 points. All the ways to gain points:
    - Winning an Aid Request emergency: 1 point
    - Building Statue of Liberty: 1 point
    - Researching Seasteads: 1 point
    - Researching Carbon Recapture: 1 point
    - Winning the World Congress vote: 2 points
    - "Losing" the World Congress vote (basically, everyone else votes against you): -1 point

I'm never sure how many Diplomacy Points to spend on the World Congress votes to get my +2 victory points. I got -1 point last time round cause I'd just finished Seasteads and already have the Statue of Liberty. I'm consciously going for a Diplomatic Victory though, so will keep plugging away. Gorgo's been annoying me on my home Continent and Teddy who's also sharing it with us has dragged me into a war with her which I'm using to finish her off :D She's got all these great artists and writers hanging around and no Theatre Districts for them to deploy in, so I'm curious what happens when we kill her off - will they go back into the Great Person pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm never sure how many Diplomacy Points to spend on the World Congress votes to get my +2 victory points. I got -1 point last time round cause I'd just finished Seasteads and already have the Statue of Liberty. I'm consciously going for a Diplomatic Victory though, so will keep plugging away.

If you already have 7 or 8 VPs, dump literally every point of favour you have. One time I think I had 7 VPs going into a Congress vote, I gave myself 15 votes to win; and all the other AIs banded together to vote for me to lose a point with 59 votes.

That said is basically completely emptied every other Civ of favour while I got my 2k+ favour refunded, so next go around I would probably very easily win the vote; but I won Culture before then so 🤷*♂️
    She's got all these great artists and writers hanging around and no Theatre Districts for them to deploy in, so I'm curious what happens when we kill her off - will they go back into the Great Person pool?

Nope, Civ dies, the GPs die with them. And unfortunately since it's Gorgo you're not going to get anything out of her for peace. Perhaps you should loot her cities of all their great works (occupy the city, then transfer the works out into your own cities), then return them to her so she fills them again; then re-declare and re-loot :pac:

ooh, I didn't think of that! Aren't you a clever and sneaky sausage :D I have been sending my spies in to rob anything that isn't nailed down from her with a very high degree of success. I think the problem is I took too many of her cities with Theatre Districts and she's struggling. I might trade back a couple of them to her, there's one that I'm really struggling to keep Loyal cause it crashes into independence before I can get a governor established.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jesus fair play to ya Chris, that's some serious next level gifting! :pac:

Got around to finishing my first GS game. Overall I like it, but with a few issues.

- AI is still hopeless militarily. Their attacks are stupid, and declarations of war make no sense. If they are at least an era behind tech wise, with a tiny army, they should not be DOWing me when they are guaranteed to get crushed.
    - AI still cannot use planes, and by extension carriers are still useless.
    - Science victory changes are pointless and just drag the victory out over extra turns for no real reason.
    - Diplo victory needs some work, not sure the mechanic totally works. Too easy to accidentally win with another victory first. It's not difficult to do, it just takes a long time because of the mechanic. You don't really start racking up points until the modern era, and the last two points just take longer cause you can be sure the AI will always vote you down when you get to 8.

I'm never sure how many Diplomacy Points to spend on the World Congress votes to get my +2 victory points. I got -1 point last time round cause I'd just finished Seasteads and already have the Statue of Liberty. I'm consciously going for a Diplomatic Victory though, so will keep plugging away. Gorgo's been annoying me on my home Continent and Teddy who's also sharing it with us has dragged me into a war with her which I'm using to finish her off :D She's got all these great artists and writers hanging around and no Theatre Districts for them to deploy in, so I'm curious what happens when we kill her off - will they go back into the Great Person pool?

You can try time it so that once you get to 8DVP you have seasteads and global warming still to research, both of which give you 1DVP (both are in future era).

When you get to 8dvp everyone will vote against you.

Yea, I noticed that.

I accidentally won a tourism victory as the Maori - didn't even build any theatre districts till the late age :D But the AI had no idea how to really play against Kupe on an Islands map and I mashed them - I must up the difficulty. I did note, however, that despite the switch over to the grievances system, the AI was still denouncing me all game cause I had grievances against others and I just couldn't get anyone to declare friendship to start alliances. I was handing out free luxury resources and gold for numerous turns to turn their favour, but the game wasn't having it.

What difficulty do you play on Shiminay?

I played my last game on Prince. It's too easy, but every time I try up it to King I find myself really struggling at the start of the game to stay alive past 50 turns. So much of it comes down to pure luck.

• Advertisement

I thought I'd bumped it to King, but it was probably Prince. Next game will definitely be King.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Has anyone tried out the Cloud based multiplayer (basically PBEM) included with the GS expansion?

Not yet, but I'm willing to give it a look for science if you wanna send me an invite - I think I have you on my Steam Friends list Max.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'll set up a quick test game to see how it works.Maybe we can then try and get a proper game with may 4-6 people (any more than that becomes a little unwieldy).

So. Anyone else besides myself and Shiminay up for a game? If you haven't played Civ PBEM before, it can take a long time to play a full game - months, sometimes longer - so requires a little commitment. Civ 6's cloud based handling will hopefully make things a but quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daveq

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blatant thread bumping as bought this for the Switch (wanted a Civ available on my main platform). It's the same as the PC version, and I can see why it kinda got a bit of a damp reception: feels very like Civ5 with some features moved around. The Districts and Civics mechanics elude me & the tutorials aren't great. In principle I like the idea of cities taking up more than one hex but I'm a bit lost.

So: in dusting off an old thread, any Civ players here know any tips, guides or (preferably short) videos that give a good outline on tips or strategies to make better use of Civ6's mechanics?

A timely bump as they announced new content yesterday.
    https://civilization.com/new-frontier-pass/
    Six packs of DLC over the next year.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Blatant thread bumping as bought this for the Switch (wanted a Civ available on my main platform). It's the same as the PC version, and I can see why it kinda got a bit of a damp reception: feels very like Civ5 with some features moved around. The Districts and Civics mechanics elude me & the tutorials aren't great. In principle I like the idea of cities taking up more than one hex but I'm a bit lost.

So: in dusting off an old thread, any Civ players here know any tips, guides or (preferably short) videos that give a good outline on tips or strategies to make better use of Civ6's mechanics?

I've been watching a few of this guy's videos on YouTube, he has some good videos on stuff like selecting starting locations. He's Irish too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PotatoMcWhiskey
    A timely bump as they announced new content yesterday.
    https://civilization.com/new-frontier-pass/
    Six packs of DLC over the next year.

I'm really hoping they don't go the way of Paradox with this and having dozens of DLC's until the horse is well and truly flogged. Still, more frequent updates would be good, there are some really game breaking bugs and exploits still.

AI is still quite hopeless though. The best way to enjoy this game is against other people. A couple of us have a game or two going under the play by cloud option - takes a while to play a full playthrough but it's more thoughtful way of playing. Could set up another game if there were enough people interested.

Otherwise, Play Your Damn Turn is great PBEM app/website - a better version of Giant Multiplayer Robot (if anyone remembers that from Civ 5). I have about 10 PBEM games on the go over there - I totally recommend it. https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought this game was dead and finished. I'm surprised another round of DLC.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've been playing play by cloud over the lockdown as something to do for a few minutes each evening. Works fine after a few teething issues.

Advertisement