Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ben Pollard Spokesmanwheels and Prime wheels

• 16-03-2019 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I am interested in purchasing a wheelset from spokesmanwheels dot co dot UK - Mark Pollard is the wheel builder. I have seen a few comments on UK sites that say they are good quality but was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of his products. Looking at 50/50 carbon tubular ot 60/88 carbon tubular sets but would like to hear peoples opinions of his products before deciding. Any advice? On a budget so looking at these or Prime BlackEdition 50 or 60 from Wiggle or Chain Reaction Cycles. Of anyone has any thoughts on those, I'd like to hear also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There are a number of threads about Prime Wheels:

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=prime%20wheels&forum=410

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There are a number of threads about Prime Wheels:

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=prime%20wheels&forum=410

As an owner of lots of tub wheels. Get clinchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

As owner of lots of tubs - get tubs.

Just to counterbalance the conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Tubs and clinchers debate is sooooo last year. Get tubeless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

So tub-less or tubeless then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cycling556

tunney wrote: »
    As an owner of lots of tub wheels. Get clinchers.

Thanks for reply, will have a look at that thread. Why clinchers over tubs? I intend on using tape? Tubs generally lighter than clinchers also?

Ha ha, I think I'm going to be sorry I asked. I have a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro Lg clinchers. I thought moving to carbon tubs would be a good upgrade. Maybe not....

koutoubia wrote: »
    As owner of lots of tubs - get tubs.

Just to counterbalance the conversation!

Tubs lighter than clinchers
    Tape is reliable if I don't want to take the glue route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

cycling556 wrote: »
    Hi, I am interested in purchasing a wheelset from spokesmanwheels dot co dot UK - Mark Pollard is the wheel builder. I have seen a few comments on UK sites that say they are good quality but was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of his products.

I have, excellent builder afaik and he is very attentive in answering emails. Straight up guy but if things go wrong don't expect much favor wise from him. I had a blowout and damaged a rim and sent it back for a new one. Pricey enough but have had no problems since the rebuild in July 2017. Here's the correspondence after the blowout. All said I would buy again from him but if I saw a good price on Prime would probably go that way too and this mainly because some years back CRC replaced a crack rim on a Mavic Krysium for me for free.

"Hi Paul,
    Since you bought your wheels, Carbonal have reduced the 'crash replacement' assistance from 50% to 15%.
    See:
    'Crash replacement:
    We understand that accidents and damage can happen, if in case of bad luck, Carbonal supports you by offering replacement product with 15% discount on the current retail price of products for up to 2-years after your original purchase, and the customer would be responsible for the shipping cost.'

Carbonal have done this pretty quietly and we only found out when we checked the policy when you emailed after your blowout on 26th June. I suspect they have had some unscrupulous customers taking advantage of the scheme.

The rims cost us £135 each with shipping and import taxes. The replacement under the current crash replacement policy will be £115.
    We have one 24h rim the same as yours left in stock. There is a new batch coming from Carbonal in 5-6 weeks but they will be a slightly different design.

The build cost is £35/wheel. If you dismantle your wheel and just send the hub and spokes the shipping will be much cheaper for you.

Mark
    Spokesman Wheels "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Tape is very reliable.I use Caragona tape and have had zero issues. Just make sure you apply it indoors and after you put the tyre on and remove the backing tape...pump up the tyre to near its full pressure and leave it indoors overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ha ha, I think I'm going to be sorry I asked. I have a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro Lg clinchers. I thought moving to carbon tubs would be a good upgrade. Maybe not....

Most anyone I know with tubs find they make wonderful ornaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

And there in is part of the problem. Tubs roll reasonably well IF you use the right glue and glue in the the correct way. If you use tape - forget it. Too much hassle to do correctly.

The CRR of a latex tub high end clincher is better than that of a high end tub. Its close *if* they are glued well. Tape means they roll worse, alot worse.

I have, excellent builder afaik and he is very attentive in answering emails. Straight up guy but if things go wrong don't expect much favor wise from him. I had a blowout and damaged a rim and sent it back for a new one. Pricey enough but have had no problems since the rebuild in July 2017. Here's the correspondence after the blowout. All said I would buy again from him but if I saw a good price on Prime would probably go that way too and this mainly because some years back CRC replaced a crack rim on a Mavic Krysium for me for free.

"Hi Paul,
    Since you bought your wheels, Carbonal have reduced the 'crash replacement' assistance from 50% to 15%.
    See:
    'Crash replacement:
    We understand that accidents and damage can happen, if in case of bad luck, Carbonal supports you by offering replacement product with 15% discount on the current retail price of products for up to 2-years after your original purchase, and the customer would be responsible for the shipping cost.'

Carbonal have done this pretty quietly and we only found out when we checked the policy when you emailed after your blowout on 26th June. I suspect they have had some unscrupulous customers taking advantage of the scheme.

The rims cost us £135 each with shipping and import taxes. The replacement under the current crash replacement policy will be £115.
    We have one 24h rim the same as yours left in stock. There is a new batch coming from Carbonal in 5-6 weeks but they will be a slightly different design.

The build cost is £35/wheel. If you dismantle your wheel and just send the hub and spokes the shipping will be much cheaper for you.

Mark
    Spokesman Wheels "

Thanks for this. I would expect a seller to stand by the agreement made at time of purchase and would be disappointed in anythibg else. CRC have good deals on Prime at present. I have had no issues with CRC before.

tunney wrote: »
    And there in is part of the problem. Tubs roll reasonably well IF you use the right glue and glue in the the correct way. If you use tape - forget it. Too much hassle to do correctly.

The CRR of a latex tub high end clincher is better than that of a high end tub. Its close *if* they are glued well. Tape means they roll worse, alot worse.

Thank you. I appreciate this. Back to the drawing board.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Tape is very reliable.I use Caragona tape and have had zero issues. Just make sure you apply it indoors and after you put the tyre on and remove the backing tape...pump up the tyre to near its full pressure and leave it indoors overnight.

Thank you. Good info

fat bloke wrote: »
    Most anyone I know with tubs find they make wonderful ornaments.

Ha, my bike can fall into that category too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Well which way did you go in the end ?

Well which way did you go in the end ?

Haven't decided yet. Going to have a long think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

I bought 50mm clinchers from mark and they are excellent and great value

thekooman wrote: »
    I bought 50mm clinchers from mark and they are excellent and great value

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement