Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Devil May Cry 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Would love to get some time to play the damn game. This evening for a n hour or two hopefully. I've as far as the first V level.
    Radically different to Nero. I find I'm kind of button mashing a bit but maybe because I haven't fully grasped his style.

Any tips?

Best way to control him imo is that when you're trying to use a particular skill for one of them (eg. R1 + forward + Triangle for Shadow), try to button mash Square for Griffon at the same time to keep him on the attack too. Same with if you're charging up an attack for one, keep attacking with the other (depending on what skills you've unlocked). It's why it's easier to build up to SSS rank with V than anyone else, they can't use sword and gun at the same time (same combo, sure, but not at the same time), but both of V's familiars can attack at the same time.

Also use double jump (Griffon) or dodge (Shadow) to bring them back to you. The more they attack the more off-centre and possibly further away they get. Bringing them back even when you don't need to dodge an attack allows you to reposition them in front of you for better directional attacks, and ensures you keep them close should an enemy get too close to V.

With V, stay out of the way until you need to cane attack an enemy (but keep attacking with Griffon/Shadow), then use Griffon to double jump you back out of the melee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Great game. I found it pretty difficult at the start (on devil hunter) but now I'm figuring out the mechanics and using the combos better it's really enjoyable.

Also, how good are Capcom's engines? runs great on 1440p on my GTX 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Would love to get some time to play the damn game. This evening for a n hour or two hopefully. I've as far as the first V level.
    Radically different to Nero. I find I'm kind of button mashing a bit but maybe because I haven't fully grasped his style.

Any tips?

It took me a while to realise you can set them on auto-attack for a short while by expending a DT bar. On PS4 you do it by holding down L2 and then hitting square or triangle. Useful for when you're getting overwhelmed and want to take the pressure off by letting one of the minions do its own thing for a minute.

In general I get best milage out of spamming Griffon's charge lightning attack and his dual beam attack while spamming Shadow combos.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    It took me a while to realise you can set them on auto-attack for a short while by expending a DT bar. On PS4 you do it by holding down L2 and then hitting square or triangle. Useful for when you're getting overwhelmed and want to take the pressure off by letting one of the minions do its own thing for a minute.

In general I get best milage out of spamming Griffon's charge lightning attack and his dual beam attack while spamming Shadow combos.

Does that make them auto-attack? I thought it just made their attacks more powerful?

Edit: Just googled and you're right, it makes their attacks more powerful but also makes them auto-attack by themselves. I must have missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

For those on PC, there is a DRM free reviewer launcher that Capcom released on steam by mistake that can add up to 20 FPS to how the game runs over the DRM locked version of the game!

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/capcom-leaves-drm-free-version-of-devil-may-cry-5-on-steam-by-accident

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Venom wrote: »
    For those on PC, there is a DRM free reviewer launcher that Capcom released on steam by mistake that can add up to 20 FPS to how the game runs over the DRM locked version of the game!

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/capcom-leaves-drm-free-version-of-devil-may-cry-5-on-steam-by-accident

Why would DRM impact FPS?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Why would DRM impact FPS?

Most DRM has a negative effect on FPS due extra stuff going on in the background I guess. Ubisoft's used to be particularly bad I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Venom wrote: »

Digital Foundry tested this and found it made little difference to most setups, few fps at best. May help low spec systems.

Edit - watched again, there may be some gains to be made but really depends on how your system is for spare resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There are untold performance issues that Denuvo may cause even indirectly, among other things. I'd love to buy DMC5 once they remove the malware. I think it cost them around 300K to put it in. What a complete waste of money.
    https://techraptor.net/content/tekken-producer-says-denuvo-behind-recent-performance-issues-on-pc
    https://everythingdenuvo.wordpress.com/

Man the Cavaliere is just such a fun weapon to use. Completely just mashes everything, especially with Swordmaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

I got to mission 9 last night. Game starting to up the ante again. Loved the bit where
    You join forces with V in a moving room and fight off multiple Nelo Angelos (AKA Virgil clones)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I love this game. On my DMD playthrough now, just beat mission 6. Can't stop thinking about it, it's the kind of open-ended fighting that only DMC can provide.

The distinctive styles of all the characters are realised really well, tho I have problems with V.

Nero is all smashy bashy power and momentum. He's got the best mobility in his fighting of anyone I've seen in the genre.

Dante, all finesse and complicated execution. Lots of different ways to play him. They've toned down the skill floor with him and he's got this flow I feel he lacked in 4, but without DmC-ing it up and removing lots of possibilities like they did in that game (which I still enjoyed playing but it just isn't this game right here)

V, a bit of a problem for me so far. He lacks the "friction" of the other two characters which means no cancelling or really fancy stuff in general. As well as that his inputs have massive delay and lack precision. To do anything remotely cool with him requires a lot of setup. He feels like be belongs in a JRPG action game tbh, like Dragons Dogma.

Recorded some gameplay on PS4. Contains spoilers as it's fully upgraded characters
    Nero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAT5HqFKH8c&t=180
    Dante https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrme_crAWVk&t=220
    V https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdR50kT4keY

So exciting to play another one of these, DMC is back!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

There are untold performance issues that Denuvo may cause even indirectly, among other things. I'd love to buy DMC5 once they remove the malware. I think it cost them around 300K to put it in. What a complete waste of money.
    https://techraptor.net/content/tekken-producer-says-denuvo-behind-recent-performance-issues-on-pc
    https://everythingdenuvo.wordpress.com/

While I don't support DRM in general its not malware. Least not by the standard definition of malware.

The performance issue in Tekken 7 relating to one specific move for one specific character was caused by Denuvo or at least an improper implementation of it. Was fixed in a patch.

Were did you get the figure of 300K from. Often in discussions about Denuvo people claim it costs a lot of money to implement and that money would be better spent on the game development and bug fixing, but I never see any links to the actual cost of implementing Denuvo or if they have a contact what it terms are. For example if Denuvo is cracked day 1 or withing a short time period of time do they developers get a refund or partial refund? In DMC5's case though Denuvo wasn't cracked it was Capcom who goofed up.

Developers and publishers aren't keen on throwing away money. They must have some reason to keep using DRM systems. Like if a game holds out from being cracked for just a couple of days they might consider the cost worthwhile.

Denuvo when it first appeared on the scene was very difficult to crack and some games remained uncracked for months. For the most part its being cracked very quickly in the recent years although occasional updated versions of it hold out for a couple of day or weeks.

Anyway I didn't intend to play DMC5 but it came free with my last graphics card I got and the reviews convinced me to play it. Its not normally the type of game I play. I'd say its good if not amazing so far. Just got to the part were you first play as V and he does seem quite button mashy. Graphics are great, story isn't doing much for me yet but the characters are fun. Main issue I find so far on Devil Hunter is that's not very difficult yet and feels the enemy clusters are too small to consistently get high ranking combo's. But maybe that's just my lack of skill and not having enough upgrades yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The story is beyond ****e - just incoherent nonsense. But that’s basically the default for both this series and the wider genre. Best to simply accept it as the half-assed excuse for the good stuff (the combat) :)

On the plus side, I do appreciate the running gag of the van being able to show up anywhere, no matter how absurd and impractical.

:D

The story is beyond ****e - just incoherent nonsense. But that’s basically the default for both this series and the wider genre. Best to simply accept it as the half-assed excuse for the good stuff (the combat) :)

On the plus side, I do appreciate the running gag of the van being able to show up anywhere, no matter how absurd and impractical.

Yeah even as a fan of the DMC story in general, it has always been kinda awful, cheesy and mostly nonsense. But it suits the general tone of the game and can occasionally have its moments. Really though, it's just there to give you a reason to go from Point A to Point B to Dual Lightning Chainsaw Motorbike.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah even as a fan of the DMC story in general, it has always been kinda awful, cheesy and mostly nonsense. But it suits the general tone of the game and can occasionally have its moments. Really though, it's just there to give you a reason to go from Point A to Point B to Dual Lightning Chainsaw Motorbike.

I only recently completed the first one again, member this cheese :pac:

I only recently completed the first one again, member this cheese :pac:

Hah, I did contemplate making a joke about how the story should have been the one to fill my dark soul with LLIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTT

Al that matters is that this music plays, and I can slice demons up with a sword and then riddle them with dual pistols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

You have to assume (or hope) the writers are aware of the nonsense they are creating. Just a series of unrelatable events and some very unsubtle references to Virgil.
    Ultimately it's like a 60s batman series of episodes; simple but brimming with character, one liners and a whole lot of BANG, SOCK, BLAMMO! in between.

Faust hats off to anyone who had anything to do with Nico, far and away the best reason to watch the cutscenes. If they decide to go with further dlc or a future definitive edition, making her playable with some whacky style should be top priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe reconsider?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

4th snake is an idiot tho, same guy who made a video a while back making it out like the media had an agenda against DMC5.

https://youtu.be/ZLJvQWKeJls

Then it got rave reviews 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Bloody Palace will be released on April 1st as a free dlc update

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Azza wrote: »
    While I don't support DRM in general its not malware. Least not by the standard definition of malware.

It shares all the key characteristics of it. It's based off of stolen code and the company is a racket. https://torrentfreak.com/denuvo-accused-of-using-unlicensed-software-to-protect-it-anti-piracy-tool-170605/ Although the companies seem to have no beef with each other anymore, their origins as SecuROM mean they really just can't be trusted.
    malicious software, is any software used to disrupt computer operations, gather sensitive information, gain access to private computer systems, or display unwanted advertising.[1] Malware is defined by its malicious intent, acting against the requirements of the computer user, and does not include software that causes unintentional harm due to some deficiency. The term badware is sometimes used, and applied to both true (malicious) malware and unintentionally harmful software.[2]

Denuvo does all except advertising. It intentionally disrupts/blocks your access to game if you don't fulfill its requirements. It also says in the EULA (I read them :pac:) that the software may remain in your system even after uninstalling the game - literally the biggest red flag for malicious software is it being made intentionally difficult to remove.
    The performance issue in Tekken 7 relating to one specific move for one specific character was caused by Denuvo or at least an improper implementation of it. Was fixed in a patch.

Yes but also an unknown amount of performance hit overall. The fact that one time (in an update) it caused a sub-60 dip from one move doesn't mean it isn't causing other overall performance issues that require people to play on lower settings or better hardware. It also makes it sh*tier (but not impossible) to use on unsupported platforms like Linux. It's a complete bane to the customer.
    Denuvo when it first appeared on the scene was very difficult to crack and some games remained uncracked for months. For the most part its being cracked very quickly in the recent years although occasional updated versions of it hold out for a couple of day or weeks.

The biggest reason games don't get cracked isn't usually the DRM, it's 1. how 'software as a service' the game has become (For Honor) and 2. How much interest. If it's a classic release model with tons of interest, it'll get cracked quickly.
    Developers and publishers aren't keen on throwing away money. They must have some reason to keep using DRM systems. Like if a game holds out from being cracked for just a couple of days they might consider the cost worthwhile.

They may think that due to the business advertising Denuvo does to scare clueless suits into thinking it will protect their investment when there's no scientific evidence that it encourages purchases. But this information is suppressed: https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Game publisher's behavior in regards to games a service, removal of LAN and custom servers, and which games have used Denuvo suggest that piracy isn't the main reason Denuvo is used. Control of the user experience and increasing DLC/MTs business models seems to be the primary reason why things like Denuvo exist.

To put it in perspective, Dues Ex MD has/had MTs that are/were one-time-use and just standard in-game items to give you an edge. Effectively making it so that if you were to do something as simple as mod/cheat in some item drops, you've essentially pirated DLC content by proxy... and the publisher and Denuvo would know all about it. Absurdity.
    Were did you get the figure of 300K from. Often in discussions about Denuvo people claim it costs a lot of money to implement and that money would be better spent on the game development and bug fixing, but I never see any links to the actual cost of implementing Denuvo or if they have a contact what it terms are. For example if Denuvo is cracked day 1 or withing a short time period of time do they developers get a refund or partial refund? In DMC5's case though Denuvo wasn't cracked it was Capcom who goofed up.

You're right, I was incorrect, it was 100K not 300K. It was found out on 8chan, possibly the gamergate threads I can't remember. Someone posed as a big game developer and contacted Denuvo. The sales staff quoted a price. Probably the closest we'll ever get to finding out how much these things actually cost.
    Anyway I didn't intend to play DMC5 but it came free with my last graphics card

Yeah I'm playing a friend of mine's copy with the DRM and steam removed. I think it's absolutely fantastic, one of the best DMCs yet. Can't wait for the malware to be removed as I'd love to support the game, support the Vergil DLC as well as enjoy the updates, achievements, scoreboard etc.

Sorry 'bout the wall-o-text :D

dlAPDZs.jpg?1

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't really agree with what your saying, its the classic anti-DRM arguments with little in the way of facts or links backing the arguments up but in fairness this really the thread for that.

Just briefly
    Your first paragraph is based on one accusation refuted by the company the accuser worked for. I don't know how you can claim its stolen code or to infer the company is a racket from that article.

Also that Piracy study the EU commissioned was never covered up. From day 1 of its publication that study was available to download and review by anyone. I looked it up before. People with an agenda suggested it was.

I won't go into the others points as I don't want to derail this thread any further. I'll go back to playing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have played I think 5 missions so far in devil May cry 5 it's grand like looks good and played very well on the one X.

Story wise god knows what's going on its been years since I played the old school dmc games so forgot must of it. Should have had a proper catch up before the start of the game in a 10 min video or something

But to be far i enjoyed ninja theory's dmc game more then this..... But I think I have about 20 missions to go so let's see if dmc 5 can be as good as the hype

Spent some time yesterday farming orbs in Mission 13. Got over 6million after a while. Dr. Faust is actually a really fun weapon to use, even though I was mostly spamming the same attack repeatedly.

Might do a bit more farming just to buy all the skills (well, would only really need enough now to buy the 3mil taunts for each), then might attack Son of Sparda mode. Don't know if I'll get to the likes of DMD or Hell or Hell modes (only DMC game I completed them on was DMC2), but SoS should do it for me.

Penn wrote: »
    Spent some time yesterday farming orbs in Mission 13. Got over 6million after a while. Dr. Faust is actually a really fun weapon to use, even though I was mostly spamming the same attack repeatedly.

Might do a bit more farming just to buy all the skills (well, would only really need enough now to buy the 3mil taunts for each), then might attack Son of Sparda mode. Don't know if I'll get to the likes of DMD or Hell or Hell modes (only DMC game I completed them on was DMC2), but SoS should do it for me.

I completed the game yesterday. Brilliant stuff. Looking forward to what looks like a new game plus on the higher difficulty.

I haven't figured out how you use that Dr Faust weapon. What's the trick?

Although I pissed myself laughing when I found it in game first :D

I completed the game yesterday. Brilliant stuff. Looking forward to what looks like a new game plus on the higher difficulty.

I haven't figured out how you use that Dr Faust weapon. What's the trick?

Although I pissed myself laughing when I found it in game first :D

All Dr. Faust attacks use red orbs, but you can earn more than you spend, particularly with attacks that put a Faust hat on the enemy. It makes them drop orbs while you're attacking with the hat or any other weapon. But if you get hit by an enemy with a faust hat, you lose more orbs. It's tricky, but there's an area in mission13 where you can exploit it by replaying it and farm orbs fairly quickly by spamming the same attack.

I rarely use range weapons or gunslinger though, so haven't used it much outside of that.

• Advertisement

Started Son of Sparda mode last night. Did the prologue and Mission 1. Nothing too hard so far anyway. Some enemies are very tank-y though.

Can't see V's missions being a lot of fun when it comes to it.

Advertisement