Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

Someone asked for a podcast good for children. I as an adult and my kids are enjoying recently the "Critter Shed" podcast and anything that the host of it does. The latest podcast with him in it is here:

https://soundcloud.com/colettekinsella/the-cock-show-of-cockroaches-cockchafers

Its a Dublin guy with an absolute love of insects, arachnids and so on. Knows his stuff and makes it interesting. He also tries to make everything positive. So rather than moan a lot about the death of important insects and how awful life will be without them - he chooses instead to go on about how you can promote them on your own land and how much fun that can be.

There is a short trailer for the podcast here:

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-critter-shed/the-critter-shed-podcast-trailer/

I like nature podcasts but often they are based in locations with wild life we do not have in Ireland. So having one based close to home is a nice change for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just wanted to make a quick mention, for Paddy's Day I decided to make this week's episode available in English agus as Gaeilge.

English https://soundcloud.com/user-34684412/010-oh-captain-my-marvel-screw-you-nancy-drew
    Gaeilge https://soundcloud.com/user-34684412/0105-ta-cead-agat-dul-go-dti-an-leithreas-focal-plans-for-the-weekend-hun-as-gaeilge

So far despite launching later the Gaeilge one is more popular haha
    It's a bit shorter and rougher than the regular one but figured for the weekend that's in it we should all try use our cúpla focal.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Ok so 1 request and 1 recommendation.

Kinda got hooked on Casefiles, just found it so well scripted and professional. Have binge listened to everything they have on Spotify and now going cold turkey.

Any recommendations for a professional true crime podcast?
    Did find an Irish based one narrated by "X" but to be honest it was well below casefile standard.

The recommendation now.
    I'm a bit of plane nut and stumbled across an air crash investigation one called "Inside The Black Box". It's a little technical but very well done and anyone with a passing interest should try it.
    Incidentally any other suggestions for air crash podcasts welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Ok so 1 request and 1 recommendation.

Kinda got hooked on Casefiles, just found it so well scripted and professional. Have binge listened to everything they have on Spotify and now going cold turkey.

Any recommendations for a professional true crime podcast?
    Did find an Irish based one narrated by "X" but to be honest it was well below casefile standard.

The recommendation now.
    I'm a bit of plane nut and stumbled across an air crash investigation one called "Inside The Black Box". It's a little technical but very well done and anyone with a passing interest should try it.
    Incidentally any other suggestions for air crash podcasts welcome!

The Minds of Madness is far superior to Casefile in my opinion

True crime island is another good one if you want an Aussie accent

I also like Unresolved but, as per the name, none of the cases featured have been solved

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

eviltwin wrote: »

I also like Unresolved but, as per the name, none of the cases featured have been solved

Thanks for that.
    Will check them all out. The Aussie accent is not a factor.

Just like

Would prefer the solved ones as love the feeling of the forces of good slowly catching up with the bad guys (and girls)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

I've been enjoying the Let's Not Meet podcast lately...

http://www.letsnotmeetpodcast.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Ah here's where I saw it!

I just posted this in the Casefile thread:
    Someone mentioned The Minds of Madness. Started listening the other day. It's very good.

I started with a case I was familiar with - Carey Stayner. There's an interview with the FBI agent who got a confession out of him. It's a brilliant two-parter.

I did however find it a bit more graphic than other podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

Heard a podcast being advertised as "Scumbag This American Life" recently but forgot the name. Anyone know what it is?

BackforFPL wrote: »
    Heard a podcast being advertised as "Scumbag This American Life" recently but forgot the name. Anyone know what it is?

There's a podcast called This American Life. That did an episode recently on Alex Jones recently called Beware The Jabberwocky. He's a bit of a scumbag. Maybe that's what you were thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BackforFPL

There's a podcast called This American Life. That did an episode recently on Alex Jones recently called Beware The Jabberwocky. He's a bit of a scumbag. Maybe that's what you were thinking of

It's not but I will check that one out for an auld hate-listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

If there are any fans of the Sopranos (which I am currently re-watching, best show TV ever!!), I would recommend listening to the Poda Bing! podcast. Its the usual series companion podcast recapping each episode. No ads or plugs on it yet which is good as sometimes I think they can ruin a show (understandable as to why they are there, people have to make a few quid), the host is doing it for his love of the show.

Also the host interviews some of the cast, listened to shows with Michael Imperioli (Christopher) and David Proval (Richie Aprile) today, great to hear their thoughts on the show all these years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    If there are any fans of the Sopranos (which I am currently re-watching, best show TV ever!!), I would recommend listening to the Poda Bing! podcast. Its the usual series companion podcast recapping each episode. No ads or plugs on it yet which is good as sometimes I think they can ruin a show (understandable as to why they are there, people have to make a few quid), the host is doing it for his love of the show.

Also the host interviews some of the cast, listened to shows with Michael Imperioli (Christopher) and David Proval (Richie Aprile) today, great to hear their thoughts on the show all these years later.

how is he getting those interviews I wonder.

He's had a huge amount of people involved with the show on so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

D.Q wrote: »
    how is he getting those interviews I wonder.

He's had a huge amount of people involved with the show on so far.

From what I can gather he is based in LA in a proper studio so might be easier to convince these actors to pop in for an interview (rather if it was someone running a show from their spare room). In David Proval's interview he said that Michael Imperioli mentioned the podcast to him so they probably put in a good word with each other (or he may even be paying them a few quid!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

been listening to shaun attwoods podcast....long talks with people who have served sentences in some of the worlds famous prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

great episode , jones couldn't even handle the thought that he may have came off worst in a fight so was saying he beat up a whole football team

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That was a great listen. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Just watched the documentary "The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley" which is all about Theranos and was going to track down the book. Never knew there was a podcast about it until I saw the recommendation for "The Drop out" here. Looking forward to giving it a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

p to the e wrote: »
    Just watched the documentary "The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley" which is all about Theranos and was going to track down the book. Never knew there was a podcast about it until I saw the recommendation for "The Drop out" here. Looking forward to giving it a listen.

Honestly I don't think you'll get much new info from the podcast. I listened to the podcast first and watched the documentary the other day and it does a very good job of summarising the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

The Lady Vanishes. Intriguing tale of woman who left Australia for the UK and was never seen again - a lot of strange theories & divergent views of her state of mind etc

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think you'll get much new info from the podcast. I listened to the podcast first and watched the documentary the other day and it does a very good job of summarising the podcast.

My main issue with the documentary was they skipped over a lot of her background and was thinking they might cover it in the podcast. For example they never mention that her father was senior member (vice president I think) of Enron which might give some insight into her business decisions. Or how she came to develop this ultimate business persona she created. The never blinking, deep voiced, multi turtle neck wearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

American Hysteria covers the social history behind moral panic in the US and other things such as the gay agenda, stranger danger etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

American Hysteria covers the social history behind moral panic in the US and other things such as the gay agenda, stranger danger etc

Thanks for the recommendation. Started listening to day and finding it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Caliphate from the New York Times - it's by a Times reporter who is an expert in ISIS and has been on the ground in the Middle East and is extremely interesting/illuminating in explaining what’s going on over there.

She has a contact who is a Canadian ISIS member and his testimony is crazy and then it all gets crazier - recency bias may be at play but I would put it up there with Serial and West Cork. It really is first class journalism.

Also Against the rules by Michael Lewis, who wrote Moneyball and the Big Short. Each episode is about state of the referee in society. His first is on basketball but next ones are loan companies, the English language and latest is about fine art authentication - all v interesting so far.

Caliphate from the New York Times - it's by a Times reporter who is an expert in ISIS and has been on the ground in the Middle East and is extremely interesting/illuminating in explaining what’s going on over there.

She has a contact who is a Canadian ISIS member and his testimony is crazy and then it all gets crazier - recency bias may be at play but I would put it up there with Serial and West Cork. It really is first class journalism.

Also Against the rules by Michael Lewis, who wrote Moneyball and the Big Short. Each episode is about state of the referee in society. His first is on basketball but next ones are loan companies, the English language and latest is about fine art authentication - all v interesting so far.

I second this. Caliphate is the best (serious) podcast I listened to since the first Serial that introduced me to the medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

Thanks for this, I've been looking for something new to get my teeth into.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Just finished listening to Evil has a name. Its about the Golden State Killer case and is super interesting. It is very dark though. Interviews with some victims and detectives investigating the case.

Blacktie. wrote: »

Finished listening to "The Drop Out" and you weren't wrong. The podcast doesn't really go into too much more detail. Still enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

latest bbc world service podcast episode...the undercover migrant...

"The extraordinary story of an undercover migrant and his ‘secret spectacles’.
    When Azeteng, a young man from rural Ghana, heard stories on the radio of West African migrants dying on their way to Europe, he felt compelled to act. He took what little savings he had and bought glasses with a hidden camera – his ‘secret spectacles.’
    Then he put himself in the hands of people smugglers and travelled 3,000 miles on the desert migrant trail north, aiming to document the crimes of the traffickers. Along the way he saw extortion, slavery, and death in the vast stretches of the Sahara.
    For Assignment, reporter Joel Gunter tells the story of his journey – a journey that thousands of young Africans like him attempt each year.
    Producer, Josephine Casserly
    (Azeteng's secret spectacles. Credit: BBC, by Joel Gunter)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

I've start working through recommendations that interest me from here and just want to say thanks. Makes exercising less boring :)
    Listened to Caliphate & Maddie, so far.
    Both excellent imo. What next.. let me see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mens Rea, a good podcast of true crime, mostly in Ireland. Good narrator.

Stephen Fry, Great Leap Years. Just subscribe!

Inside the Black Box, about air disasters. Chilling but very listenable.

From our own Correspondent. BBC4 tales from correspondents in weird and wonderful parts of the World.

Gone off Casefile lately, but am still subcribed, might try again in a few weeks.

I have lots of history pods too. Some of which have already been mentioned.

Always on the hunt for new ones!

Advertisement