Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai house search ( warrant )

• 16-03-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi ,I have never been in trouble with the Gardai ,recently they called to my house with a search warrant ( my ex falsely accused me of fraud ) .I was taken to the station for an interview avd they searched my house in my absense took some docs but have them all back a few weeks later .Thet asked did I have a computer which I do ( I Mac) .I have nothing on my computer or to hide but could they have downloaded my computer and I phone ? Also when questioned my phone wallet etc was taken off me .They gave these back post interview .thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

On site? No that's very unlikely. If they seized the computer and had it for any length of time they might but I doubt they would have given it back by now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Solar1234 wrote: »
    Hi ,I have never been in trouble with the Gardai ,recently they called to my house with a search warrant ( my ex falsely accused me of fraud ) .I was taken to the station for an interview avd they searched my house in my absense took some docs but have them all back a few weeks later .Thet asked did I have a computer which I do ( I Mac) .I have nothing on my computer or to hide but could they have downloaded my computer and I phone ? Also when questioned my phone wallet etc was taken off me .They gave these back post interview .thanks
    If they took your pc they will possibly have forensically examined it but if you've nothing to hide why the question/concern?
    Did they take the Mac? Have you reveived it back? Did you supply logon details?
    To answer your question, if they had access to your Mac then they can get whatever files they may want off it - its quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Solar1234

If they took your pc they will possibly have forensically examined it but if you've nothing to hide why the question/concern?
    Did they take the Mac? Have you reveived it back? Did you supply logon details?
    To answer your question, if they had access to your Mac then they can get whatever files they may want off it - its quite easy.

They didn’t take my computer ,they just asked if I had one and I told them where it was located .The reason I have asked the question is that I wanted to know if they were snooping around just for info It has a passcode and they never asked for it ,They have back my mobile back after I was released ,someone told me that they can download you’re phone ? .I know one or two of the cops that conducted the search so I am sure they would be nosey

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Solar1234 wrote: »
    Also when questioned my phone wallet etc was taken off me
    Taking your wallet lets them check what ID you are carrying. Possibly pertinent in a fraud investigation.

I get the impression they normally take everything but clothes off everyone put in cells. I'm not sure if they do it with a simple arrest without cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭source

If arrested and detained for the purpose of interview then all personal property will be taken, noted in the custody record and returned on release, unless it is evidence then it may be retained.

If your phone has a pass code then nobody will have gotten into it to snoop through your messages etc. iphones are very difficult to get into without the pass code. The local Gardai in the station would not have the technology or knowledge to break into your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Solar1234

Thanks a mill

Advertisement