Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nite site wolf etc. Legality?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

well said Cass. we're all on the same side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

slipperyox wrote: »
    well said Cass. we're all on the same side

The men of Innishfree bid you welcome. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

However,the actual correct and original term for these are silencers.It's what Hiram Percy Maxim who invented them called them in his patent about 110 years ago.
    It is really semantics as to what you call these.Calling them suppressors is technically correct,as they do not completely silence the gunshot.Calling them silencers is more legally and historically correct.Either way,both terms are correct and are interchangeable.
    https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/silencer-suppressor/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The thing is just because the fella that invented them called them that, they don't do it. So inventor or not he is still wrong or as i like to say he has just been wrong for longer.

I mean i can stick teats on a bull and call it a cow, but it's just not.

Sorry, it's my incessant need to have the last word. :o:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

How can the inventor of something, who names it, be using the wrong name?
    :confused:

Or am I having a blond moment? :o

• Advertisement

You're not having a blonde moment, it's me just prolonging an absolutely pointless and frankly boring point of debate.

What i meant by it's called the wrong thing is it doesn't do what the name suggests. It doesn't silence sh*t, it suppresses the heard report. Now i'll get someone that'll say with the right firearm, ammo, and a large enough can you'll get next to silence, but that is the exception.

It just bothers me how AGS call them silencers, weapons, etc. and we go along with it for fear of annoying them. They're wrong and should be told as much no matter how much they don't like haring it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Why do we call radiators radiators? Well that’s what they were called from the start, but they don’t work by radiating heat, they work by convection, we should call the convectioners, but we don’t.

OK

For me, they can call 'em what they want once the licence them. Life is too short to be worrying about it.

Now for a right good tangent :p

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shift-mind/201103/why-is-it-so-important-be-right

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Why do we call radiators radiators?
    As soon as they restrict, ban or limit the number of radiators based on their Hollywood image i'll accept that comparison.
    You're right, ok here goes:

giphy.gif

Cass wrote: »
    You're right,

If you say so :)
    ok here goes:

giphy.gif

Which is exactly how I feel about your issues with what a silencer is or isn't called :pac:

• Advertisement

Too cruel, too cruel. :(

Too cruel, too cruel. :(

762f77331129333cd8533d81d12fc781--comment-memes-business.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Semantics,shamantics!!!
    Its the same as anyone calling any 4wd vehicles a "Jeep".We all know there are 100 of variations of the theme, but it is just common word parlance in the English language. Now if you were to be technical, IE in court or otherwise,then Yes a "2000 Toyota Landcruiser mod XYZ" would be a better and appropriate description.

Calling them either term is correct. were it an application a suppressor is probably technically better, but it's not fooling anyone in the know. Least of all people like BATF...who copped the "sound suppressor" import trick from the UK, sometime around the 1950s.

Also, when Mr Maxim invented and patented these 100 odd years ago, in America[also kind of important,as they do have different words for things over there..] people weren't that pedantic on what every word meant literally.
    As he was more interested in eliminating noise at source, and that new fangled contraption the automobile was making its appearance.He sold a few patents with "engine silencer" on them as well.Only later did they become "mufflers" or "exhaust boxes".
    "Suppressors" only really came into fashion around the 1960s Vietnam era, when the US military got involved in their usage. And if anyone who has experience of the US armed forces, just about everything, has to be called something military and given a lengthy serial number. IE a "shovel becomes a "Current issue spec general purpose entrenching tool shovel,serial number USMC mod blah,blah,yada.":eek: So no wonder the poor ol silencer, so known by the US OSS and UK equivalent in the 1940s became the "suppressor":)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement