Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nintendo "knock-out" button

Options
  • 04-03-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Will be getting into restoration of a few cabinets shortly, but the one thing that's absolutely unique is the Nintendo "knockout" button on a punchout cabinet, so I may as well get that first. I can only find one place selling them, mikesarcade.

Before I order anything, I just wanted to be sure that I wont need anything else.

See pics of my control panel below and the actual button for sale.

Am I missing something here? Brackets, maybe? Or is this all I need?

knockout-button.jpg

DSC-1066.jpg

DSC-1065.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭geotrig

doesnt look like you have chpu 11 -16 / tkgu 23-26 in that pic...you will also need the microswitch if you dont have one or the one in it is different and the nut as well the braket chpi11-14 looks like it is there ?

I'm not sure that is the orignal stick either ? could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I'm not going to lie, this button is confusing af!

I found another place that was selling them with the actual mechanisms, but theyre sold out. You can compare the two pics.

https://www.twistywristarcade.com/buttons-switches/1075-nintendo-punch-out-ko-button.html

If its a case of buying 15 different parts and costing a hundred quid for one button...fuggedaboutit!

geotrig wrote: »
    I'm not sure that is the orignal stick either ? could be wrong

Yeah its a strange one too. Its rigged up for the "pull up" movement (a 5 way joystick), but theres something slightly off about it!

Yeah its a hard picture to compare with the the twisty one , just looked at mikes arcade they seem to have the bracket

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=PBHOLDERN

and more looking suggests i am wrong about the stick ,,super punch is the one i was thinking of !

• Advertisement

Yeah its a hard picture to compare with the the twisty one , just looked at mikes arcade they seem to have the bracket

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=PBHOLDERN

and more looking suggests i am wrong about the stick ,,super punch is the one i was thinking of !

Kinda annoying alright :P

Yeah, the super punchout has a disc on the end of the joystick, whereas it wasn't used in punchout. That's a bit confusing too, because mine can perform the movement...so maybe at some point it was a super punch out conversion kit, and then reverted to punchout again.

Head-scratching stuff!

beejee wrote: »
    Yeah its a strange one too. Its rigged up for the "pull up" movement (a 5 way joystick), but theres something slightly off about it!

thats probably just movement in the springs which i guess would be normal.

beejee wrote: »
    Kinda annoying alright :P

Yeah, the super punchout has a disc on the end of the joystick, whereas it wasn't used in punchout. That's a bit confusing too, because mine can perform the movement...so maybe at some point it was a super punch out conversion kit, and then reverted to punchout again.

Head-scratching stuff!

lol yeah , id say buy the button and bracket if its the right one i didnt compare all the no's and leave it at that .... once the joystick works its easy get back to it when complete !

thats probably just movement in the springs which i guess would be normal.

Definitely not just a loose joystick, this was designed to rise several inches with a spring pull-back, no doubts.

So, its a 5 way joystick, but missing the 5th microswitch, and missing the disc that connects the 5th microswitch.

As I say, pretty confusing how it ended up that way. Probably a Frankenstein effort, or else a super punchout conversion kit was used at some point :P

Im just after the button for now anyway, joystick works fine. I'll see how I get on, thanks for having a look though!

Advertisement