Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wolfie Awards Format 2019

• 03-01-2019 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

So i know you are all still recovering from the 2018 awards after party, but some good points were raised in the WW discussion thread after the awards around how to make the awards even better.

My 2c for what its worth;
    • I got started on the awards later in 2018 than i would have liked. As such, we didnt get 'live' input from game mods and players just after games had finished, around what should be nominated for at least half of the year. We should probably try to avoid that this year.
    • I think anything should be nominated by anyone - unless it gets silly in terms of no of incidents, there shouldnt be a need for seconding nominations. Added to that, while game mods will perhaps have a vested interest to nominate things, i dont want them to a) have sole responsibility to do so and b) have sole privilege to do so. So imo everyone gets to nominate what they want. I figure the cream (in terms of what gets nominated) will always rise to the top.
    • The purpose of the awards is to have some fun and celebrate the year gone by. We all put in a lot of effort into the games (whether modding, playing or watching) and that is worth celebrating. Personally, im not interested in winning gongs - im much more interested in having a good time at the awards ceremoney. This probably helped shape the format of the 2018 awards, so if others want the awards to be more 'serious' then lets discuss that and see if a change is needed.
    • We can gather nominations in game threads, in feedback threads, in the WW discussion thread or in here. Or in all of these. I dont really mind. At the end of the day collecting them will take effort on the part of the person making the nomination, so whatever makes it easiest for them. If someone says 'that deserves an award' in the game thread, i dont think that requires a separate post in another thread for it to be considered.
    • I think the awards ceremony itself was good and i enjoyed doing it for 2018. I hope others did too. Id like to do it again this year, but if someone else wants to give it a bash, they are welcome to, of course! Im open to teaming up with 1 or 2 others to host it at the end of this year as well.

At this stage, if you have feedback you want to bring up, or wish to debate any of the above points, please do so!

We should probably try to bottom out the nominations plan by the start of LOTR however, to make sure we are treating all games equally this year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hi! I'm here to volunteer! I came of my own free will!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nah I'm happy with the format Pter - fun is much better and as I said privately I'm actively delighted that other awards such as 'Best Game' and 'Best Mod Team' are going to different teams/mods which is great for the forum.

It's only really in its infancy (The Wolfies) so I think there's stuff to be learned from all of us to make it bigger and better for next year.

The rolling nominations thread is an example of how it will only improve it for 2019!

would it be beneficial to have a dedicated google sheet for nominations so all nominations are collated in one place a link to the sheet could be posted in the first and last post of each game thread (and in any feedback threads there may or may not be)

or

if we're going to go with the idea that people can nominate at any time in any thread should we ask them to do so in a specific format like with the #ffa so that the award organisers can find and collate all nominations easily

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah was thinking the hashtag thing wouldnt be the worst idea.

#wolfie19

?

• Advertisement

Nah thats a crap hashtag.

How about #wolfies19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can we have an award for chattiest winning evil 2019.
    Its something I'll be keeping track of anyhow in the chatty evils tab of the stats sheet, and it might encourage some evils to chat more to win the award.

So, some clarifications. If you end up evil after being converted you are eligible for this award.
    You must have won the game as evil for your attempt to count.

That would be a statistical award rather than a popular vote award; i.e. wont require people to vote on who wins - the winner will be determined by the numbers. Which i don't object to at all.

Are there any other statistical behaviours we could track?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Best gif award :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote:
    Are there any other statistical behaviours we could track?

Evil Incarnate - Most likely to be a wolf from the past twelve months?

Forever Vanilla - the person who appeared as NRV most times?

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Evil Incarnate - Most likely to be a wolf from the past twelve months?

Forever Vanilla - the person who appeared as NRV most times?

is that something you can really award a title for, like there is no action on the part of the participant, where all other categories (afaik) including chattiest evil require the payer to actually do something.

Plus in the event the mods might assign roles rather than rand them in some games could artificially alter that?

is that something you can really award a title for, like there is no action on the part of the participant, where all other categories (afaik) including chattiest evil require the payer to actually do something.

Plus in the event the mods might assign roles rather than rand them in some games could artificially alter that?

Yeah, fair point. Was just tossing out ideas tbh, but chattiest evil is more down to player action than simply 'being given an evil role the most'.

Back to my cave :(

:pac:

MOD

WW Discussion posts re: Rand vs Draft moved to WW Discussion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I wouldnt think there should be any nominations of any sort or any labelling of categories until December next year.

I think it should be like the Oscars. Yes there are some of the old stallwarts. Best game, Best modteam, etc but then you can have a few secret categories organised by the mod team to surprise everyone with

If we know for sure there's gonna be a beaker award, how long before everyone tries to create the beakeriest claim they can make so much so that it ends up being to the detriment of them or their win condition but hey, I'll get a beaker nomination and thats my end goal :)

Best awards format feedback award for Rikand #wolfies2019

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Would people really do that? Maybe it's a different type of competitiveness, but I'd much rather play to win a game for my team, than play to win an award in 11 months' time. Maybe that's just me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Rikand wrote: »
    I wouldnt think there should be any nominations of any sort or any labelling of categories until December next year.

I think it should be like the Oscars. Yes there are some of the old stallwarts. Best game, Best modteam, etc but then you can have a few secret categories organised by the mod team to surprise everyone with

If we know for sure there's gonna be a beaker award, how long before everyone tries to create the beakeriest claim they can make so much so that it ends up being to the detriment of them or their win condition but hey, I'll get a beaker nomination and thats my end goal :)

The games is about learming to lie effectively, and ths is one award which will actually make better players.

Maybe tune it so that the awards that are being fought for are all ones which will make for better games and better players.
    the effective bogus role claims and the chattiest evil players are both awards which if done well improve players gameplay.

Rikand thats more or less what we did in 2018....i did start a little earlier than December though.

It would require extra research on behalf of the awards organizers but it could be done that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

If you were doing it in secret and just announcing it in December then we could do it that people PM Pter anything they feel was award worthy during the year, he collared them and then announces the nominations in December. That way Pter is the only one who knows what awards and nominations there are during the year.

(Obviously if Pter is agreeable)

Pter and TB. And anyone else that wants to help out.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Would people really do that? Maybe it's a different type of competitiveness, but I'd much rather play to win a game for my team, than play to win an award in 11 months' time. Maybe that's just me though.

Would agree with this, my countdown clock claim wasn't in relation to the Beaker award, it was to try and draw the munch off some potentially roled players as I was NRV. Nothing to do with an award for me anyways.

Also cos it was fun and I wanted to see how convincing I could be re: the claim. :D

Hi All, please find a new thread for the ceremony here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112041258#post112041258

Advertisement