Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you don't need a press to assemble it, can it be called a Press Fit?

• 17-12-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests.
    With regard to assembly, when people describe a fit as a press fit it implies it needs a press of some description to press it into place. My take is it has no business being called a press fit if it does not require a press thus it is either a clearance fit or an interference fit with minimal interference.

What are peoples thoughts?

Note: People might ask what kind of interference fit can be assembled with hand force, this can be encountered with plastic components that are more pliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Interference, transitional and clearance fits are the correct terms. Press fit is just a colloquial term for an interference fit, but doesn't mean anything specific.

If you're specifying something, use a limits and fits standard to make it unambiguous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If I press a button that doesn't need a press.

Press studs on cloths don't need a press.

The act of pressing on something doesn't need a (tool) press.

Its just a matter of semantics or is the OP talking about some engineering press I know nothing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

my3cents wrote: »
    If I press a button that doesn't need a press.

Press studs on cloths don't need a press.

The act of pressing on something doesn't need a (tool) press.

Its just a matter of semantics or is the OP talking about some engineering press I know nothing about?

Yes, I'm specifically talking about assembly in terms of manufacturing as opposed to closing your jacket,. So I am referring to a press like an Arbour press or in the extreme sense something like this:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=2000t+hydraulic+press&rlz=1C1GGRV_en__748__748&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjF8vPkoKzfAhXOzKQKHfCsBlUQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=978

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

muddle84 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm specifically talking about assembly in terms of manufacturing as opposed to closing your jacket,. So I am referring to a press like an Arbour press or in the extreme sense something like this:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=2000t+hydraulic+press&rlz=1C1GGRV_en__748__748&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjF8vPkoKzfAhXOzKQKHfCsBlUQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=978

My first thoughts were more of an item on my Amazon wish list https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ALY8UQG/ which I think you will agree is still a press in the terms you are thinking of, which would mean we are talking about degrees of how much pressure actually needs to be applied before when the word press is used.

Context is probably the key here. For example if a bearing was a press fit on a car then I'd be thinking of a press like the one on my Amazon list (why its on the list). However if you were talking about press fit in relation to assembly in a factory the type of press could be anything from an Arbor press - I have one that was used for making upholstery buttons - to a massive hydraulic machine.

Then also in an industrial context my lathe has a Morse taper which is a press fit, does anyone ever bother to say its an interference fit?

btw let me know if I'm being annoying here and going off topic, I've no idea of the context you are talking about.

Another thought would be you average phone or tablet where the shell back and front are a press fit that doesn't need a lot of pressure.

However there may be times when a press is needed even for jobs that need a very light touch when the pressure needs to be applied very evenly across a surface so one component that is being pressed into another doesn't bind on one side or all the the clips that hold the item together need to mate at the same time.

Edit> I think your problem is that modern people have just got lazy when it comes to technical terms and new terms are regularly invented to make one product look different to another. IT is dreadful, a new variation of a technology is marketed and a whole bunch of terms are created to describe something we already had a name for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭muddle84

my3cents wrote: »
    My first thoughts were more of an item on my Amazon wish list https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ALY8UQG/ which I think you will agree is still a press in the terms you are thinking of, which would mean we are talking about degrees of how much pressure actually needs to be applied before when the word press is used.

Context is probably the key here. For example if a bearing was a press fit on a car then I'd be thinking of a press like the one on my Amazon list (why its on the list). However if you were talking about press fit in relation to assembly in a factory the type of press could be anything from an Arbor press - I have one that was used for making upholstery buttons - to a massive hydraulic machine.

Then also in an industrial context my lathe has a Morse taper which is a press fit, does anyone ever bother to say its an interference fit?

btw let me know if I'm being annoying here and going off topic, I've no idea of the context you are talking about.

Another thought would be you average phone or tablet where the shell back and front are a press fit that doesn't need a lot of pressure.

However there may be times when a press is needed even for jobs that need a very light touch when the pressure needs to be applied very evenly across a surface so one component that is being pressed into another doesn't bind on one side or all the the clips that hold the item together need to mate at the same time.

Edit> I think your problem is that modern people have just got lazy when it comes to technical terms and new terms are regularly invented to make one product look different to another. IT is dreadful, a new variation of a technology is marketed and a whole bunch of terms are created to describe something we already had a name for.

The phone cover you are describing is a snap fit rather than an interference fit or press fit. But you are on the same page as me everything you have described is what i am talking about. They are all presses of some description.

You're last point is exactly my problem. I think you are right, it is laziness!!!!

Thanks for the post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

muddle84 wrote: »
    You're last point is exactly my problem. I think you are right, it is laziness!!!!

It's more lack of knowledge (or experience). When mechanical assemblies like fits were common in most products, which were designed and built under one roof, the fit was implicitly understood even if it wasn't precisely defined. Now it's used less frequently, rarely taught properly in college and built by 3rd parties, so I can see how mistakes happen. You (as a designer) have to explicitly call out the fit spec to avoid confusion.

Advertisement