Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Build The Millennium Falcon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can I ask if the Tamiya primer you are using gives good adhesion on metal? Are you using an acrylic top coat?

Looking forward to the next update!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I havent sprayed much metal with it to be honest, just a couple of small bits and it was fine. the cans of Tamiya AS20 are great. not sure what you mean by Acrylic top coat, if you mean the paints im using on top of the Tamiya then its mostly Vallejo Air and Oil paints. I have used Tamiyas paints as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Any more progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Totally forgot about this.

Unfortunately not, its been a while since i had a chance to do anything with it. I dont want to force myself to do it either because i wont do it right that way, so havent really pushed myself at it, ill only end up doing it quickly and not correctly and wont be happy with it when its finished. I will get back to it though and will update when i do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Unfortunately not, its been a while since i had a chance to do anything with it. I dont want to force myself to do it either because i wont do it right that way, so havent really pushed myself at it, ill only end up doing it quickly and not correctly and wont be happy with it when its finished. I will get back to it though and will update when i do!

Not good enough dammit!!!!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

... I dont want to force myself ...

"May the force be with you"

I'm expectin' some serious updates, Optimus :D

I should actually get back into this. Most of it is still boxed away. Now is the perfect time to get some done.

FALCON UPDATE!

Ok so i decided i would actually take it back out and get going, it took me 3 days to unpack it all and figure out where i left it and where to start off from again!

I decided to continue working on the hold section, specifically the Pit in the hold, i guess thats what its called, not sure, Han and Chewie are in there trying to fix the hyperdrive in Empire and in the Force Awakens Rey and Finn try to hide in it.

han-in-pit.jpg

Anyways, in the kit, the floor is just flat, there is no pit. So since i already added a different floor that looked a lot better than the kit and it had the option to leave the grates open, which id done, i had to make my own pit. So here is a few images of that process.. the one in the film is deeper, but because of the lack of space between the hull of the falcon model and the floor of the hold, i wasnt able to go any deeper.

Cut out the pit from some styrene, doesn't have to be perfect as it wont really be seen.

pit1.JPG

pit2.JPG

pit4.JPG

Added some bits and pieces in, Lego harry potter wand, and a small lego brick ;) few nuts, some spare sprue as pipes.

pit5.JPG

Test placement

pit6.JPG

Coat of Vallejo german grey

pit7.JPG

and when finished with some wearing, rust, oil etc

pit9.JPG

waiting for that to dry..

Im also adding a bit of light around the inside of that pit, im using a length of neon blue lighting i had. It was a pain to get this on as you can see, im using PVA glue to hold it in place (hopefully it works) as im afraid the other glues i have might break the light. So holding it in place until the PVA drys, we will see what happens tomorrow. ive to do the other pit (which has a closed grill over it on the floor side) tomorrow when this one drys.

Hopefully it will give a nice subtle blue glow in the pit area when done. hopefully....!

pitlight1.JPG

pitlight2.JPG

I should be updating regularly as, lets be honest, there isnt much else to do right now! Stay safe! Open to comments etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Awesome, would have loved to have done this myself so will be watching this thread for sure, the pit looks great finished

Fantastic. Your attention to detail is amazing.

source.gif

Quick update today as it was all about waiting for PVA glue to dry.

I wrapped the neon light around the 2nd pit area, which is covered on the floor side anyways (you can see it in the bottom image) but will glow through the grates a bit. Waiting for that to dry now.

I also put a coat of varnish on the pit i made yesterday and then stuck it to the bottom of the hull floor, waiting for the PVA glue to dry there too. its a bit messy but it drys clear and you wont see it anyways so i wasnt too careful with it.

Had to cut a bit of the bottom to make room for the light to go through as well.

chop1.jpg

pitb3.jpg

and here is a look at the pit installed and lit! (second "pit" not lit in this image)

pitatest.jpg

Got a bit more done, its a slow process waiting for stuff to dry.

First up i added some fibres to the hold bench. pain in the *$&£*

I got them in anyways, waiting for glue to dry, I used a soldering iron to bend the fibres to a 90 degree angle, had to use a blade to shave off plastic so i could get them to fit in the groove in the bottom of the bench. fingers crossed it works out. we will see.

seat1.jpg

Next up , i wasnt happy with the extra hold piece i built previously to go above the pipes so I made a new piece from styrene and am waiting for it dry after spraying it.

holdextra1.jpg

There is a light in the falcon beside this door, the kit provides a piece of plastic crap to go there but i wanted it to light up. I previously had made this light from some spare white spru and copper wire i had. I drilled a bigger hole in the wall and glued the light i made over it. then i put a light in the back and glued it place. images below.

holdlight1.jpg

Finally for today The Nav computer. I was dreading this because before i packed it up last year i drilled it for loads of fibres, i found them very hard to work with in the small size required here, so i kinda got lazy and cheated a bit. First i just used some dry brushing to add dept t the console itself.

I had "glass paint" that is basically transparent when dried. So i painted some red blue and yellow colours on the back of the nav console and im just using led strips im making at the minute to illuminate them from behind. you can see the effect below, using a torch here. Good enough! To put it in scale this isnt much bigger than a 50 cent piece,theres actually a decal for the bottom left panel in the image there im debating about putting on or not.

nav1.jpg

Thats it for now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Stumbled across this topic from the homepage as the most recent post is one of the most thanked posts in the past 24 hours.

I don't know much about models but have read the entire thread from start to finish now as its fascinating stuff and your attention to detail is remarkable. Looking forward to checking in every so often now that you seem to have some more free time on your hands (as we all do I think).

I had a question about all the internal work you're doing. Once the model is complete is there a hinge or access points where it can be opened up? I see you putting in so much thought and care into internal areas that I can't help but wonder how much of them one will be able to see once the Falcon is complete.

Thanks a lot appreciate the comments. With regards the insides, when the model is completed you can take the top off in 2 places, the main hold and one of the corridors, the hull pieces are held in place with magnets. you can see them off in the image below.

Falcon-top-open.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I wonder if there is anyway you could film a walk through with some sort of mini camera?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Looks awesome OP :cool:

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I wonder if there is anyway you could film a walk through with some sort of mini camera?

I’d love to see that!

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »

I’m sure there is something that could do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I’m sure there is something that could do it.

I liked the idea because I suspect due to the quality of your work it would look like a walk through of a movie set.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah projects like this can rack up millions of views on Youtube, might pay for the whole thing if you document it properly.

I wish I was good at that but I’m not one for filming myself talking or putting stuff on YouTube. I’m happy just to post here. Plus to be honest I’m amateur at this stuff. This is literally the 3rd model I’ve made, ever , the other two being the at-st and the Viper. Everything Im doing here is just stuff I’ve learned or looked up on the internet how to do it first. I’ve been lucky so far I haven’t made a complete balls of it ! Ok I get ideas in my head about modding stuff or adding pieces. But without watching people on the internet building other models I wouldn’t know how to do it.

I’m a big believer in you can do anything if you put your mind to it - George McFly. But you really can these days if you just put the effort in and look at YouTube etc for guides.

Last update for this week.

First up I put the piece i sprayed in the last update in place over the pipes in the hold. Looks ok there i think, i also put a black wash over the white light beside the door as it was a bit too clean i think and i did a but of dry brushing in the pit, the doorway and some other small places just to add some debt. ill do more later.

I also soldered two led strips together to go behind the nav console eventually to light the buttons.

hold1.jpg

Then my least favorite thing to do , applied some decals to the bench\bunk area and the Dejarik table top. it worked out ok for the most part! was worried id mess that up.

decals1.jpg

While doing the decals i noticed that the side of the bunk wall is a bit blank looking, so i decided i would add some spare parts to it to make it look interesting, ill add some wires etc too later as there is a few wires coming out of it in the actual films. In the final image below you can see them added, these are the pieces i chose to cut up and add, i sprayed them german grey too.

parts1.jpg

The bunk behind the bench needs a light on it so looking at the one from the films, i had previously half made it by joining two lights together and filling down the top of each bulb flat as its like that in the film. So now i sprayed them white, masked them off and sprayed the two flat ends black. i also cut up a straw and sprayed that black, this will go over the middle part of it, where the wires are joined. so it should look like the one from the films. You can see what im mean below before i sprayed it.

bunklight1.jpg

and finally, the Nav computer in the kit doesnt come with the Nav chair for some strange reason, Han sits in this while talking to Ben and Luke in a new hope about how he doesnt believe in the force.. anyways! Lucky for me, when i first signed up to this , so did my brother, but he only lasted about 15 issues and gave up!

I got all his spare parts though! which includes two Chairs from the cockpit which are almost the same as the nav chair from the hold. the difference is the ones from the cockpit are hollow at the back, and dont have the same kind of stand as the Nav one, also they have some greeblies on the back ill have to add.

First thing i did was cut the bottom off it and then fill the back. when that dried i sanded it down flat. I then create the film style stand for the chair from some spru and styrene pipe. Then i sprayed it silver. because when i spray it grey, im going to use a sharp blade to chip some of that grey off to reveal the silver underneath to make it look like metal with the paint worn off. here is some photos.

navchair1.jpg

Finally as a test i just put the bunk, bench and table in place beside the back wall and tested the fibres with the decals on, you can see the bits i added to the side\end of the bench here too. more to add, wires etc. ill probably use a couple of flashing colour bulbs in the final build so those fibres flash on and off different colours.

thats all for now!

testbench.jpg

Sweet baby Jesus... these are Walter White levels of detail. Amazing!

This project is the one good thing to come out of this lockdown.

This one is mostly Barrels and the Nav Chair. I found these spare barrels i had so decided to spray them to see if they go in the hold to add something to it, i seen a few images of barrels in the film reference photos.

I sprayed them first with silver, then varnish, so i could try the scraping off thing again with them. Then i painted 2 white and 2 black. I probably wont use them all but just did them anyways.

barrels1.jpg

Next up the Nav chair. I sprayed it black, then scraped off some of that to reveal the silver underneath. I then masked it up and sprayed the cushion parts a tan colour then dry brushed the edges and where you would sit\have your back with a flesh colour to give it a bit of a worn look. Finally i used a black wash just around the edges of the cushions to make them blend a bit better with the chair. (aka hide my sloppy painting) i still have a few bits of greeblies to add to the back of the chair, im waiting for their paint to dry.

navchair2.jpg

and 1 more thing, i finished the bunk light i made, painted each end of it black, put the piece of straw in the middle i sprayed black. and here is it is lit up.

I took the tape off the bunk too from when i sprayed it finally, and you can also see in this image the wires and spare bits i added to the end of the bunk section to make it look better, i dry brushed these silver after painting grey and gave the wires a black wash.

bunklight2.jpg

Thats all for now!

Superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I must have just gone on to the homepage at the right time to see this thread hop up in recent posts, and have flicked through the progress from last five years.

I've done some airfix and warhammer in my time but this is unbelievable amounts of detail. Amazing, absolutely amazing work.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot guys. I’m happy enough with it so far. Dreading the day something I try doesn’t work out. I’ve had a few close calls where I made mistakes but manage to fix them for the most part !

Advertisement