Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My spin today...

• 09-09-2018 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Would be good to get a thread like this going. Basically just tell us where you rode, what trails, what conditions were like etc.

I had a quick spin up in Ticknock earlier. Rode the Coillte climb to the top, then Tokyo Drift, T-Connector, Rock N Roll and Metro back to the biking.ie hut. Tokyo Drift was sloppy but great fun. Every other trail was mint.

That new Metro is bedding in very nicely. I wasn't a huge fan initially as it more or less put an end to Evil Friends, which was one of my favourite Ticknock trails. But it's really grown on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

I was up in Djouce yesterday. Couple of lads in the club brought me down a few more trails.

Just getting into riding enduro style trails and there was some serious stuff for me.

Did some of the usual trails, xtc, benchcut, oroT, Phantom which was savage, a very steep one that goes from the car park that just re-opened and drops all the way down to the old Gran Canaria end and on down into the Bomb Hole.

Smiling from ear to ear I was even though I did have to chicken out on one of the drop outs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Good idea - especially the bit about trail conditions as we come into the sloppy season. One thing that came up when we were talking about having this forum was that clubs often decide to leave trails alone to let them recover - would be great to hear from people in clubs about what trails are in a jock and need to be left alone - not everyone will abide but it can't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm back after a break in East Galway (Portumna). Friday I did a bit (28km or so) in the mixed trails in Portumna Forest Park. Saturday I did a bit of exploring by taking the hiking path from Portumna to Meelick Church along the bank of the Shannon (plenty of lifting the bike over farm gates). I brought along a picnic and the bike is covered in a mix of mud/sheep crap. I came back via the road. Sunday I did a repeat run over the mixed trails in Portumna Forest Park and collided with a bridge, resulting in one very sorry wrist.

Wednesday/Thursday this week I'm thinking of heading to West Kerry for a break. Maybe the old railway line from Valentia Island back to Glenbeigh may be explored......

Yes I prefer the exploring aspect of MTB rather than battering down rocky trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'm back after a break in East Galway (Portumna). Friday I did a bit (28km or so) in the mixed trails in Portumna Forest Park. Saturday I did a bit of exploring by taking the hiking path from Portumna to Meelick Church along the bank of the Shannon (plenty of lifting the bike over farm gates). I brought along a picnic and the bike is covered in a mix of mud/sheep crap. I came back via the road. Sunday I did a repeat run over the mixed trails in Portumna Forest Park and collided with a bridge, resulting in one very sorry wrist.

Wednesday/Thursday this week I'm thinking of heading to West Kerry for a break. Maybe the old railway line from Valentia Island back to Glenbeigh may be explored......

Yes I prefer the exploring aspect of MTB rather than battering down rocky trails.

Yeah those wooden bridges in Portumna are lethal when wet. I almost broke my elbow on one. It's a pity the way they designed the trails there, I know it's flat but they could have built a lot more flow into them if they knew what they were doing. Also the hidden trail anchors every 10 feet are deadly if you do pick up a bit of speed.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Yeah those wooden bridges in Portumna are lethal when wet. I almost broke my elbow on one. It's a pity the way they designed the trails there, I know it's flat but they could have built a lot more flow into them if they knew what they were doing. Also the hidden trail anchors every 10 feet are deadly if you do pick up a bit of speed.

Oh ya I saw (and felt) the trail anchors alright. There are a few places where the trail is settling and naturally drags you into some of them.

You are right, some of the trails don't really flow and are very narrow in places. Then, in places where they start to flow, you can't really see what's coming up and have to worry about colliding with a walker half way around the blind bend

They have new stone (about 1inch diameter) down in some of the trails and it's not bedded down yet (and saps energy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikedude

Don’t think is a good move to be posting directions to non official trails around the place.

Yes they are general knowledge if you MTB but they are still not official trails.

There are two Official Colite trails in Dublin/Wicklow and the GAP in Glenculen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Can people PM which are the legal and illegal trails so I can edit above accordingly. Trespassing etc. whether generally accepted or known about is still illegal, I can edit out the illegal trails (I don't know which ones are which myself), but if no one comes back to me I will just have to delete the thread.

bikedude wrote: »
    Don’t think is a good move to be posting directions to non official trails around the place.

Yes they are general knowledge if you MTB but they are still not official trails.

There are two Official Colite trails in Dublin/Wicklow and the GAP in Glenculen.

Which post do you have a problem with?

From the Coillte websites, cycling is allowed in the following Coillte sites:
    Derroura
    Portumna Forest Park
    Curraghchase Forest Park
    Ballyhoura
    Lough Key Forest Park
    Donadea Forest Park
    Avondale Forest Park
    Ballinastoe
    Ticknock

Some are dedicated MTB trails where bikes have priority, some are mixed trails where MTB are allowed but must give way to walkers (Portumna and Curraghchase are two I know of). Some are for gentle cycling and more family friendly trails/paths (Lough Key especially).

MOD VOICE: I have edited out the directions to those trails which people have PM'd me to highlight as illegal or unauthorised trails. I have left the names in on some posts for now as that isn't giving direction etc. If after reviewing it with the other mods it is deemed that it gives to much though, I will come back and delete them. If there are some that people think its poor form to even just have the name up, let me know and I can reedit again

• Advertisement

Feels like when we started this we said we wouldn't discuss trail building - and I think while it would have been very useful and interesting, it could create problems so probably best not to have those discussions here.

Now we seem to have landed on a place where even saying an unofficial trail names could be problematic - and I think that's a step too far.

CramCycle - you have to distinguish between what is unofficial, i.e not sanctioned by Coillte and illegal. You are saying illegal which certainly sounds great but means zilch at the end of the day. These trails are unofficial, or more accurately again, non-Coillte. That's it. There are Coillte and non Coillte trails. Nothing about legality. Let's not jazz this up beyond what it is.

steamsey wrote: »
    Feels like when we started this we said we wouldn't discuss trail building - and I think while it would have been very useful and interesting, it could create problems so probably best not to have those discussions here.

Now we seem to have landed on a place where even saying an unofficial trail names could be problematic - and I think that's a step too far.

CramCycle - you have to distinguish between what is unofficial, i.e not sanctioned by Coillte and illegal. You are saying illegal which certainly sounds great but means zilch at the end of the day. These trails are unofficial, or more accurately again, non-Coillte. That's it. There are Coillte and non Coillte trails. Nothing about legality. Let's not jazz this up beyond what it is.

Agreed, it's completely over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikedude

They are ilegal, they are not autorized trails, it’s not over the top not to discuss the trails in a public forum, they are there now because of lots of work from other people to put the trail in place, and mantain it.

All it takes is someone to try one of the trails have a fall and decide to bring someone to court, and all the years of work to add the trails and the political work are gone.

If you want to know more about trails and be more active building and maintaining those trails there are MTB clubs like Mad MTB, Epic, IMBRC and you can join.

So it’s not over the top, and yes could be problematic, to post directions to it or in my opinion even the name of it.

They are unofficial trails. There is nothing illegal about them. We have to use the right language because 1) they are not illegal so why say they are and 2) by calling them illegal you are admitting you openly know you are breaking a (yet undefined) law every time you ride them or tell someone about them. So even if it's just for your own sake - be careful with saying illegal.

We shouldn't post maps / directions to these trails or post descriptions of trail building work on private land without landowner's permission but it's a bit much to say it could be problematic to use the names of the trails. I don't see any issue with this whatsoever.

Part of the rationale for this forum was that clubs are not for everyone - I know they are there. I don't want to join.

I'll leave this topic alone now.

I have no issue discussing trail building in regards the technical aspects, so long as you don't discuss where and when you done it. My family have private land in the countryside and built trails in my teenage years but nothing overly complicated, you may have access to private land and permission. Places where it is essentially trespassing is where the issue lies, so unless you can stick to the technical without identifying places, or provide proof that the trail builder has permission, then it is a no go. Both of which seem difficult and a PITA
    I said I would talk to the other mods, using names so far does not seem to be an issue, it is only an issue when they are highlighted as being unofficial, unauthorised or without the permission of the land owner that it is an issue, and as such, maybe don't give directions to them.
    My understanding is the land in the main part is owned by Coillte, they have given permission for the general public to use certain routes on their land. Their website says "cycle in selected sites", and other comments on their site indicate, trails they have mapped out and indicated only, if someone can find some commentary from them that suggests otherwise, that would be great. My memory of being around many Coillte woods, they have signs up, saying no mountainbiking.
    xxyyzz wrote: »
    Agreed, it's completely over the top.
    I am trying to skirt a fine line between the allowed, the not allowed, as well as other potential issues. Unlike other discussion of allowed /not allowed activities on boards, which is generally for the sites protection, this one is more for the users protection.
    bikedude wrote: »
    They are ilegal, they are not autorized trails, it’s not over the top not to discuss the trails in a public forum, they are there now because of lots of work from other people to put the trail in place, and mantain it.
    The main issue here is advertising it to people who have put nothing in, nothing wrong with that on boards, more of a moral quandry
    All it takes is someone to try one of the trails have a fall and decide to bring someone to court, and all the years of work to add the trails and the political work are gone.
    I don't think they would have a leg to stand on, unless someone told them where the trails were and that they were allowed.
    They are unofficial trails. There is nothing illegal about them. We have to use the right language because 1) they are not illegal so why say they are and 2) by calling them illegal you are admitting you openly know you are breaking a (yet undefined) law every time you ride them or tell someone about them. So even if it's just for your own sake - be careful with saying illegal.
    Well my understanding is that Coillte allow mountain biking on their designated trails, and not elsewhere, I could be wrong, if someone could add some clarity, it would be welcome. I am not looking for opinions, actual clarity in the form of a statement from Coillte is what I would be looking for.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/151/made/en/print

To be fair to Coilte, there is a piece of Coillte forest reasonably close to me and heard there were trails in the forest. I cycled down one day and happened to encounter the Forester and a few locals (going for an evening stroll) at the forest gate. The forest gate had a sign that said "no cycling".

From talking, it seems there was some trails. People were not too bothered if they stuck to the path/trails. Naturally some people took the pi$$ and tore through an area that had young saplings planted, breaking quite a few. The result was an irate forester and locals.

Naturally I did what any other reasonable person would do. I locked the bike and decided to walk the forest. The trails looked quite nice and fast, but now are out of use thanks so some idiots. As I was asked not to cycle on them, I obviously didnt and won't be cycling them and won't be saying where it is.

Just an alternative view on the effect of unofficial trails on Coillte lands and silly users.

My understanding is this is why Coillte came down so heavy on unofficial trails back in the late noughties, while most were grand, some muppets went and ruined ground on them, and presumably cost them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CramCycle wrote:
    My understanding is this is why Coillte came down so heavy on unofficial trails back in the late noughties, while most were grand, some muppets went and ruined ground on them, and presumably cost them money.

It's understandable why landowners do not want any cycling on their land, for various different reasons, it is their product afterall, and they've invested time and money into it, respect is the key

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's understandable why landowners do not want any cycling on their land, for various different reasons, it is their product afterall, and they've invested time and money into it, respect is the key

Well that was my understanding, they were happy to ignore a problem that didn't exist and then some people started ploughing through freshly planted saplings and ruined a fair few. Coillte then had it written into legal docs when the managers realised the cost. I rode around my farm and others, so long as we weren't ripping up land, no one gave a sh1t, we could rip up the parts that were not growing grass without issue as it made no difference. Also used to ride in a quarry which was great craic till I proved to a friend a downhill bit was not viable by riding it after we argued for ages. Pleased to say I was right and unable to walk for a few days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

Spent a couple of hours going around Djouce yesterday, still finding my way around and trying to tie the different trails together and where some of them start. So many options. But there's a good mix of trails and climbing. Need to man up on a couple of the drops though, I know momentum is your friend but find myself chickening out at the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Spent the morning in The GAP. Blues are far more grippy than they were in the summer. Reds & Blacks riding well but starting to get a touch more slippery. Good spin out! :)

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Spent the morning in The GAP. Blues are far more grippy than they were in the summer. Reds & Blacks riding well but starting to get a touch more slippery. Good spin out! :)

Nice - I could do with a day at a bike park. Was going to head to the GAP but ended up messing around Ticknock instead. Everything riding well up there. New bottom is bedding in. Pretty busy up there today.

It was a little bit muddy today in places........

rps20180916_221935_730.jpg?dl=1

The bike was clean before I started. It was about 30km of a spin with some mates.

Also, I'm not saying where.....

Anyone up Ticknock this evening? Any trees down?

Haven't been up yet but I bet there are trees down around Euroservices. Hopefully get up over next day or two. Time to dig out the winter lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭prunudo

A shot from Ballinastoe earlier. Shame there isn't any easier way to upload photos from your mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Trails were absolutely mint in Ticknock this evening. Bike didn't even need to be washed after. Big contrast to Carrick yesterday. Slippy slidey fun times but bike and me were covered in mud after.

Did Ticknock & The GAP today.

All riding good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jvan wrote: »
    A shot from Ballinastoe earlier. Shame there isn't any easier way to upload photos from your mobile.

Another Coillte factory site, now looking like after a nuke went off.... Should be fun in the wind/rain with no trees there anymore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Went to the recently opened (i.e. within the last year) Leeds urban bike park earlier today, technically now being yesterday (Sunday). It's really impressive what Leeds Council, British cycling, and Sports England have managed to co-fund & set up from what I saw going on around me. Lots of families, lots of kids. The park itself is "urban"in that it's in a city and that's about where the urban starts and ends. Place has a lot crammed into it, and I certainly didn't get to find all of it to ride; went looking for some black lines I'd seen youtube videos of and couldn't find as they're buried around the back of the park XC "loop" somewhere. Pump track, bmx track, and a rather long and impressive jump line/track, with a mix of green, blue, and red trail loops in between. Off to one side (half?) is the newly opened "XC" loop; in so much as XC loops have long, fast stretches of jump lines in them. Most of the park is completely man-made, so if you're looking for technical, rooty stuff, you'll need to go elsewhere from what I saw with the disclaimer that I didn't see everything. But the place has so, so many options & opportunities to get airborne that it's just ridiculous.

All free, unless you're renting a bike or visiting the on-site cafe.

Advertisement