Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Do you they not get that those are real people being slaughtered?

I do, certainly. I’d like to say these guys are just dumb kids but they’re in their 20s. I’m guessing they are just desensitised to this stuff.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Just had to have a word with one of the young lads in here. He was showing clips of the actual shooting to another oddball. Two of them grinning away watching then the fella showing it says he “wouldn’t mind getting his hands on the shooters crypto wallet”.

You’d have to question the mindset of anyone who would watch something like that. I’m in two minds to go to HR about the incident.

I am.not condoning it but I don't think you should go to HR. Young lads being stupid and ignorant. HR won't fix that. HR won't know where to look or will make a meal of it. HR is full of poor people managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His manifesto seems a mish mash of left wing economics and State intervention, anti globalism and right wing opposition to migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I do, certainly. I’d like to say these guys are just dumb kids but they’re in their 20s. I’m guessing they are just desensitised to this stuff.

Apologies, the 'you' in my post was a typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-15/christchurch-shooting-brenton-tarrant-what-we-know/10904744

'Brenton Tarrant worked as a personal trainer at Big River Gym in the northern New South Wales city of Grafton, from 2009 - 2011.'

'Then decided to go travelling over seas, he left to go travelling overseas in Asia and in Europe.'

Very odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just got sent the video on whatsapp, I didn't watch it, I deleted it and sent back a shitload of abuse.
    What the f**k is wrong with people thinking that's okay to share around?
    I mean even at my most curious I wouldn't want to watch that!!
    Very pissed off.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't be going to HR over lads watching it personally. People are going to see it, the world will keep turning - condemnation should be directed at the perpetrators and not people watching the video in my opinion.

Yeah, I see where you’re coming from. I was just a bit shocked. I asked him to stop showing it and he did so that’s that for now.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

To be fair, "in your 20s" isn't childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Don't be watching that video. Don't watch or listen to cowardly fascist filth. There is nothing for the lay person to learn or gain from a FPS video of someone murdering others. It is like those beheading videos. Watching such a production provides an audience, enabling the act.
    Its the one actual thing we can do today to reject this vile cowardly fascist piece of $hit. Do not watch the footage this vile pr!ck WANTS us to see.

RIP to the victims.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I dont always agree with you but that is as fair and balanced a comment as I have seen or heard on this atrocity.
    Well said.

Completely agreed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Suckit wrote: »
    Just got sent the video on whatsapp, I didn't watch it, I deleted it and sent back a shitload of abuse.
    Very pissed off.

well maybe it's time people started closing their FB, WhatsApp accounts?
    maybe if enough people do, then they might wake-up.
    dont know if you have children, but can you imagine if they accidentally got hold of it on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

dont know if you have children, but can you imagine if they accidentally got hold of it on your phone.
    I closed Whatsapp and only used signal for messaging and telegram.
    Work setup an system that uses whatsapp, and has a few of us in it.
    Had to reinstall it after 6 months without, I am trying to convince them there are alternatives.

TallGlass wrote: »
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-15/christchurch-shooting-brenton-tarrant-what-we-know/10904744

'Brenton Tarrant worked as a personal trainer at Big River Gym in the northern New South Wales city of Grafton, from 2009 - 2011.'

'Then decided to go travelling over seas, he left to go travelling overseas in Asia and in Europe.'

Very odd

It is not the profile I would imagine whatsoever, especially him in Pakistan. I mean, how can the police ever get a handle on this stuff, when an apparently "worldly" person can cause such devastation.. It's just so odd, as you say.

It's not about closing, it's about using it responsibly. Like most people, this hasn't shown up for me and never would.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I presume the other 2 people arrested were flatmates/housemates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

I closed Whatsapp and only used signal for messaging and telegram.
    Work setup an system that uses whatsapp, and has a few of us in it.
    Had to reinstall it after 6 months without, I am trying to convince them there are alternatives.

i closed my FB page years ago. i found it far too intrusive, and besides i prefer to seek my own information rather than reading what these people think i should.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bangladesh cricket team caught up in the incident and a few minutes away from being victims
    1.52pm: I get a call from Tamim Iqbal, one of the senior-most cricketers in the team, as I'm leaving the Hagley Oval. He's calling me for help. "There's shooting here, please save us." I first think that he is playing a prank but he hangs up and calls again - this time, his voice starts to crack. He says that I should call the police as there's a shooting going on inside the mosque where they are about to enter.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26270448/there-shooting-here-please-save-us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Was it just one gunman??

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Very pissed off.

Humans have a curious streak and just want to see it. Not for blood lust but for some strange reason, many will watch it even if we did find it awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

now every fool, with a grudge will start livestreaming their lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

squawker wrote: »
    now every fool, with a grudge will start livestreaming their lunacy
    Previous attacks were live streamed. Think this aussie murderer got the idea from a few previous jihadi attacks and the online muck coming out of syria. A lot of confusion still in whether one attacker or more. I can see how repeated viewing of online snuff videos could desensitise someone enough so they could easily do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just clicked on a news report from a Kashmir station and they showed some of the footage unedited. Sickening stuff, the online grounds where this sort of hate festers needs to be dealt with. How its dealt with I don't know for the moment.

I've just seen footage of a murdering idiot mow down innocent people going about their daily lives. Anyone that willingly condones, excuses or shares this kind of stuff is not worth wasting oxygen on. This is going to create an awful lot of anger especially if people are seeing what I saw...

gandalf wrote: »
    Just clicked on a news report from a Kashmir station and they showed some of the footage unedited. Sickening stuff, the online grounds where this sort of hate festers needs to be dealt with. How its dealt with I don't know for the moment.

I've just seen footage of a murdering idiot mow down innocent people going about their daily lives. Anyone that willingly condones, excuses or shares this kind of stuff is not worth wasting oxygen on. This is going to create an awful lot of anger especially if people are seeing what I saw...

Like the TV channels showing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surprised semi auto's are legal in NZ. I'd expect that to change

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

PinotNero wrote: »
    Was it just one gunman??

Yes apparently, there doesn't seem to be any suggestion of two gunmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

I'm of the mind that people should be able to see it. I think what will desensitise people is when atrocities like these simply become text and death counts on their local news. I think people really need to see for it to hit home how horrific it is.

I hate to draw parallel, but it reminds me of Alan Kurdi, the drowned boy on the beach. It's really easy to become numb when news of people drowning appear every other day, but that photo hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

defrule wrote: »
    I'm of the mind that people should be able to see it. I think what will desensitise people is when atrocities like these simply become text and death counts on their local news. I think people really need to see for it to hit home how horrific it is.

I hate to draw parallel, but it reminds me of Alan Kurdi, the drowned boy on the beach. It's really easy to become numb when news of people drowning appear every other day, but that photo hit home.

We were all shocked about that, and it was to be a watershed, but it changed nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

RasTa wrote: »
    Surprised semi auto's are legal in NZ. I'd expect that to change

It was reviewed a few weeks ago and a ban rejected apparently.

That will change now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Saw it on WhatsApp there now. What a ****ing coward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Reading through the manifesto, it looks like he subscribes to what is known as 'Accelerationism'

He wants the 'right' to be censored in order to provoke them into responding.

Seems to want guns to be banned in the US so guns owners will fight back and ultimately cause a civil war.

Says Spyro the Dragon 3 (video game?) taught him about ethnonationalism.

Says Fortnite trained him to be a killer.

Says hes not a Nazi but aligns with China.

Very mixed up so far.

There is a fair bit of biting satire in the manifesto, he also makes it a commentary on society's responses to these events. The video games thing or the Navy Seals memes are jabs in the eye at what is commonly said in the world, not serious commentary.

Advertisement