Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr.H wrote:
    Dont confuse what you think with what is reality
    When you get in a ring with Floyd Mayweather and have the second biggest number of ppv sales of all time you are big stuff.
    When you get in UFC ring with Khabib and have the third biggest number of ppv sales of all time then you have proven that you are hugely famous and that it's not just Mayweather selling the fight. McGregor has been involved in at least four of the top fifteen most bought ppv fights of all time. Three of them are UFC, only one other UFC fight is in the top fifteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mr.H wrote: »
    Mcgregor is huge in the mma world but wouldnt even be on the radar of most american sports fans. A huge fish in a small puddle.

He's transcended MMA. Most American sports fans absolutely know exactly who he is. He's been on all their Late Night chat shows, other US sports stars imitate him frequently and he fought Floyd Mayweather in probably the biggest PPV event in recent times.

Precisely.

That originally was ric flairs walk anyway

Flair does ''the strut'', which he himself copied off Nature Boy Buddy Rogers. Flair robbed his whole gimmick actually including the robe and the nickname and the figure four leg lock.

Vince's Billionaire Walk is well different to Flair's. McGregor is seen on camera singing Vince McMahon's theme while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

People think Conor is more known than he actually is. I know a lot of Irish people who wouldnt have an iota who he is. And that is just Irish people. Mma is nowhere near as big globally as a lot of the other sports mentioned. Rugby and their world player of the year is very much known by a greater amount of people than a wwe wanna be star. A lot of people switch off or dont pay attention to news that may as well be talking about john cena in a lot peoples minds. Mcgregor is huge in the mma world but wouldnt even be on the radar of most american sports fans. A huge fish in a small puddle.

Its laughable that anyone could think that a ufc star is better know than world rugby player of the year and the former captain of the best know football side of the modern era. Keane is global to a huge scale where conor is huge to a niche market.

This is so true. Soccer, rugby and golf for instance have global fan bases many multiples of the likes of mma.

eagle eye wrote: »
    When you get in a ring with Floyd Mayweather and have the second biggest number of ppv sales of all time you are big stuff.
    When you get in UFC ring with Khabib and have the third biggest number of ppv sales of all time then you have proven that you are hugely famous and that it's not just Mayweather selling the fight. McGregor has been involved in at least four of the top fifteen most bought ppv fights of all time. Three of them are UFC, only one other UFC fight is in the top fifteen.

This. And pointing this out has nothing to do with liking or hating him or even having an opinion on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why are people confusing America with global? Manchester United alone are more global than MMA and Roy Keane was the captain throughout their most successful period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

People think Conor is more known than he actually is. I know a lot of Irish people who wouldnt have an iota who he is. And that is just Irish people. Mma is nowhere near as big globally as a lot of the other sports mentioned. Rugby and their world player of the year is very much known by a greater amount of people than a wwe wanna be star. A lot of people switch off or dont pay attention to news that may as well be talking about john cena in a lot peoples minds. Mcgregor is huge in the mma world but wouldnt even be on the radar of most american sports fans. A huge fish in a small puddle.

Its laughable that anyone could think that a ufc star is better know than world rugby player of the year and the former captain of the best know football side of the modern era. Keane is global to a huge scale where conor is huge to a niche market.

That's hilarious!!! And the people who thanked your post should share your ignominy!

I don't know about the World, because I don't know enough about publicity in China, India, Africa etc, but there is no doubt that, at the moment, McGregor is the most famous Irish sportsman in the US.
    Anyone who argues otherwise does so simply out of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

AdamD wrote: »
    Why are people confusing America with global? Manchester United alone are more global than MMA and Roy Keane was the captain throughout their most successful period.

Not so sure about the rugby comparison though? Rugby still pretty niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

This seems to be what you are stubbornly doing :pac:

Ask someone to name the last 5 rugby players of the year and you can bet majority of heads wouldn't have a notion, I know I couldn't, could tell you Johnny Sexton won it but know that only on the basis he's Irish it was hard to go under the radar.

No offense to Johnny but I somehow can't see him guesting on the likes of Kimmel,showing up in Call of Duty or flogging bottles of Proper D4 in Tesco anytime soon.

No offense to Johnny but I somehow can't see him guesting on the likes of Kimmel,showing up in Call of Duty or flogging bottles of Proper D4 in Tesco anytime soon.

He's class in those Centra ads though. Such charisma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

More people globally have watched man united play fulham than mcgregor mayweather!

You are confusing your own feelings and knowledge with the joe soap who couldnt give a toss about sports.

People who dont care about sports dont know who conor is. But i bet most still know who roy keane is

People who dont care about sports dont know who conor is. But i bet most still know who roy keane is

You have that the wrong way around completely!

AdamD wrote:
    I don't think people are confusing them.
    Also goalscorers are the ones who are global superstars so I'm not sure Roy Keane would be globally that famous.
    Not doubt on my mobile network that Rory McIlroy and Conor McGregor are the two biggest stars from this island at the present time and I don't think any other sportsperson would ever have been as globally known as those two. We are in the social media age so more people know a lot more people these days.
    If I was to guess who was the biggest before these two I'd be confident it's Padraig Harrington. He is still a really big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

More people globally have watched man united play fulham than mcgregor mayweather!

You are confusing your own feelings and knowledge with the joe soap who couldnt give a toss about sports.

Sorry but no.

If you go to America or anywhere really with a photo of Roy Keane and a photo of McGregor and I would be absolutely, 100% positive that more people would know McGregor.

The majority of the United "fans" in Asia don't have a clue about the history of the club, they won't know Roy Keane from Bryan Robson. It's sad but true.

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's class in those Centra ads though. Such charisma.

Yeah if only they were relevant outside Ireland :pac:

By that logic Steed Malbranque is a household name.

• Site Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭Sabrebo

How many people would pay $100 dollars to watch Man U play Fulham on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Also another thing to remember is this mma is a flash in the pan type popularity and will be forgotten about soon when ppl move on to the next craze-similar to how the wwf was big for a while then died a death in terms of popularity

Soccer, rugby, golf, gaa, these are going nowhere. They are growing in fact.

The majority of the United "fans" in Asia don't have a clue about the history of the club, they won't know Roy Keane from Bryan Robson. It's sad but true.

Not only in Asia I'd say,reminds me of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think people are confusing them.
    Also goalscorers are the ones who are global superstars so I'm not sure Roy Keane would be globally that famous.
    Not doubt on my mobile network that Rory McIlroy and Conor McGregor are the two biggest stars from this island at the present time and I don't think any other sportsperson would ever have been as globally known as those two. We are in the social media age so more people know a lot more people these days.
    If I was to guess who was the biggest before these two I'd be confident it's Padraig Harrington. He is still a really big name.

Do you realise how global Manchester United are. He was the captain at the most successful period of one of the top 3 clubs in the world. Anyone into soccer, which is billions of people know who Roy Keane is. How is this even up for discussion.

• Advertisement

Also another thing to remember is this mma is a flash in the pan type popularity and will be forgotten about soon when ppl move on to the next craze-similar to how the wwf was big for a while then died a death in terms of popularity

Soccer, rugby, golf, gaa, these are going nowhere. They are growing in fact.

Those sports are growing but MMA isn't, absolutely clueless.

Saying the WWE died off is also ridiculously misinformed nonsense. Have a look at the attendance at Wrestlemania next weekend.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Do you realise how global Manchester United are. He was the captain at the most successful period of one of the top 3 clubs in the world. Anyone into soccer, which is billions of people know who Roy Keane is. How is this even up for discussion.

Who was the captain of Real Madrid in the mid 90s? Without googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

People who don't care about sports don't know who Conor is. But i bet most still know who roy keane is

Really? You think people who know nothing about sports know who an old ex footballer is compared with a fighting sports star who is all over the papers if he just tweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Bruce Grobbler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Saying the WWE died off is also ridiculously misinformed nonsense. Have a look at the attendance at Wrestlemania next weekend.

Yeah. WWE is bigger than ever and MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Manuel Sanchis playing in the old sweeper role. I'm an avid soccer fan though. I get your point, not a lot of people wouldn't know that answer. I reckon a lot more would know Roy Keane was captain of United but until we get that questionnaire out there i don't think we will have conclusive proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Don't bother. Would you go into a thread about a rugby/soccer/whatever star claiming what they do isn't a sport? Doubtful. Most people accept that others have different opinions and interests to themselves and aren't interested in being provocateurs for the sake of being provocateurs.

ollkiller wrote:

Did you miss the bit about social media?

Roy Keane could walk through Times Square and I doubt he'd be recognised. McGregor couldn't do that.

• Advertisement

Manuel Sanchis playing in the old sweeper role. I'm an avid soccer fan though. I get your point, not a lot of people wouldn't know that answer. I reckon a lot more would know Roy Keane was captain of United but until we get that questionnaire out there i don't think we will have conclusive proof.

Madrid are a bigger club than United and not many would name that captain without googling, same with Roy Keane outside Ireland and the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement