Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hot take: Multiculturalism is good

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

biko wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Saudi_Arabia

Then
    The first mention of Jews in the areas of modern-day Saudi Arabia dates back, by some accounts, to the time of the First Temple.
    Immigration to the Arabian Peninsula began in earnest in the 2nd century CE, and by the 6th and 7th centuries there was a considerable Jewish population in Hejaz, mostly in and around Medina

Now
    There has been virtually no Jewish activity in Saudi Arabia since the beginning of the 21st century. Jewish (as well as Christian and other non-Muslim) religious services are prohibited from being held on Saudi Arabian soil

Where is your outcry, hipsters?
    So does that mean that those against multiculturalism are supporters of the Saudi authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Interesting article on the (lack of) sustainability of Irelands current model.

https://t.co/2vsVOehA0w?amp=1

'FDI growth regime been made possible by inward migration and European integration, but given the unequal distribution of the economic benefits that this generates, it is unlikely to be politically, or electorally, sustainable'

What about Singapore? They are about 20 years ahead of us down the FDI driven economic model and seem to be doing just fine. Granted their social housing policy is about 50 years ahead of ours but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Edenmoar wrote: »
    well where do we get our cleaners etc from in the meantime? I believe most people are inherently good anyway, the wasters in this country are Irish not foreign. Anyway where do people find the time to give a sh*t about where people are from? Life's too short amigos.

There is huge unemployment in Italy and Spain and other EU countries, why not campaign and try to recruit our European brethren??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

There is huge unemployment in Italy and Spain, why not campaign and try to recruit our european brethren??

as opposed to who? also, spanish and italians dont want to come to ireland to clean hotel rooms. I spend a lot of time in Spain and the cleaners are usually Romanian/Bulgarian or South American anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Yep couldn't put it any better myself.

Yeah you could

dey terk er jerbs!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

A lot employers will look for Romanians, Bulgarians for cleaning jobs because they get away with treating them like slaves. Irish people won't take ****e off employers, they know their rights.

A lot employers will look for Romanians, Bulgarians for cleaning jobs because they get away with treating them like slaves. Irish people won't take ****e off employers, they know their rights.

No, Irish people would rather be on the scratcher than have menial jobs like cleaning. And would you blame them, given our generous welfare. Even 20 years ago when I started working in Dublin, the cleaners in offices were always inner city Dublin type women. There's not one Irish person working as a cleaner where I am now.

No, Irish people would rather be on the scratcher than have menial jobs like cleaning. And would you blame them, given our generous welfare. Even 20 years ago when I started working in Dublin, the cleaners in offices were always inner city Dublin type women. There's not one Irish person working as a cleaner where I am now.

I work for a company that provides cleaners and other staff for different sites, I'd say about 70% of the applications for cleaning are from eastern Europeans mostly Croatians and Romanians, there are still Irish people that will do these jobs. The difference is the immigrants are terrified of losing the job so you can call them at any hour on their day of or whatever and they will jump and go whereever you tell them to go and work for as long as you tell them.

Irish people won't do that nor should they have to. Its the employers taking advantage that are the problem not the immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

topper75 wrote: »
    That is because you are normal person.

Most people are normal but they dragged into discussing these abstract topics and isms because it represents common ground, a lowest common denominator. And so they waste time here on the internet.

Though it would probably be a lot more real and relevant, I can't discuss herrings with you. They don't feature in my life much.

A herring choker is what guys in Wexford call fishermen :D

I remember when cleaners were paid quite well, I was stacking shelves in Quinnsworth back in 92 while in secondary school.
    I was on 2:49 an hour getting **** from trainee managers lol my brother was getting 4:50 an hour cleaning for Noonans cleaners.

Buffing and polishing floors in the Airport.

I actually like cleaning, nothing like getting dirty and harden into my calluses, then having to clean the hands after...

What's wrong with inner city women ?

• Advertisement

Tacklebox wrote: »
    What's wrong with inner city women ?

why are you asking me that?

why are you asking me that?

Why describe the women as "inner-city type?

Couldn't they be just women?

Tacklebox wrote: »
    Why describe the women as "inner-city type?

Couldn't they be just women?

they were from the inner city, the wans i'm thinking of

Did you ask them all where they were from? You said "inner city type women".

Oh ok i get you now, they call then Stella's in Cork :D

Did you ask them all where they were from? You said "inner city type women".

Yes. As in uneducated low skill people from poor backgrounds. Cmon you're not that thick. My Ma is a townie, who left school at 14, she was also a cleaner for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Can be good, depends on the culture and mentality of those being brought in. What's happened to certain parts of Europe is a disgrace.

Some people will probably think I'm making this up, I started a new job recently and there's an English chap working there. He told me the street and surroundings he grew up totally changed culture wise and he with his family emigrated to Ireland because of it. The anti Brexit parade will never admit that the main issue behind it was immigration and how the UK is changing for the worse because of it, all you hear is "People were tricked, uneducated low information voters" and so on.

Ultros wrote: »
    The anti Brexit parade will never admit that the main issue behind it was immigration and how the UK is changing for the worse because of it, all you hear is "People were tricked, uneducated low information voters" and so on.

It's one of the biggest economies in the world though, it simply can't continue that way without lots of immigration. They were sold a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

It's one of the biggest economies in the world though, it simply can't continue that way without lots of immigration. They were sold a lie.

The issue isn't immigration. Read the first part of my post, the issue in that country is the problems associated with importing mass amounts of people from Islamic cultures. You can't take in copious amounts of people with a different culture and expect it to end up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Can be good, depends on the culture and mentality of those being brought in. What's happened to certain parts of Europe is a disgrace.

Yes we need to be judicious.

Can I ask thread starter skaterboi again to state if they believe we need any filter or not on this multicultural drive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They need skilled migrants not more cab drivers, street cleaners and fast food workers.

The issue isn't immigration. Read the first part of my post, the issue in that country is the problems associated with mass amounts of people from Islamic cultures. You can't take in copious amounts of people with a different culture and expect it to end up well.

Well I lived in the uk for 7 years and the Islamic folk seemed to integrate fine, I worked with plenty. It has ended up well, the UK is maybe the biggest melting pot of cultures in the world and for the most part everyone is very respectful of one another. And you can always get a good kebab!

They need skilled migrants not more cab drivers, street cleaners and fast food workers.

So where will they get the fast food workers and cleaners from then? Sunderland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The fact is they (uk) will still have plenty of migration, the only difference is they will now get 'quality/skilled' migration via their new proposed points system.

So anyone unskilled coming to the uk expecting to earn less than 30k GBP, won't be required nor welcome. Not to mention stricter health, literacy,education and police background checks.

The fact is they (uk) will still have plenty of migration, the only difference is they will now get 'quality/skilled' migration via their new proposed points system.

So anyone unskilled coming to the uk expecting to earn less than 30k GBP, won't be required nor welcome. Not to mention stricter health, literacy,education and police background checks.

They'll be pretty f'd trying to fill cleaning positions etc in that case. I'm not saying open borders is a great thing, but the in this capitalist greed based society we now live in in the west, low skilled immigration is definitely required in order for countries to function.

Well I lived in the uk for 7 years and the Islamic folk seemed to integrate fine, I worked with plenty. It has ended up well, the UK is maybe the biggest melting pot of cultures in the world and for the most part everyone is very respectful of one another. And you can always get a good kebab!

Ah the 'kebab' argument, "shure everyone needs a nice kebab".

Mass migration in 2016 caused the end of the EU as we know it (Brexit) is that working out fine?

Only this week in Birmingham a school was forced to close, because mainly (integrated?) islamic folk didn't approve of SexEd classes.

Are grooming gangs fine and respectful?

Ah the 'kebab' argument, "shure everyone needs a nice kebab".

Mass migration in 2016 caused the end of the EU as we know it (Brexit) is that working out fine?

Only this week in Birmingham a school was forced to close, because mainly (integrated?) islamic folk didn't approve of SexEd classes.

Are grooming gangs fine and respectful?

what about irish gangs keeping slaves and destroying the countryside in the UK? should we stop irish people emigrating there? we used to bomb the sh*t out of england too.
    whataboutery yes, but there are good and bad of all peoples.

Yes. As in uneducated low skill people from poor backgrounds. Cmon you're not that thick. My Ma is a townie, who left school at 14, she was also a cleaner for a while.

So inner city type people are low skilled,uneducated and from poor backgrounds? Or is it just the ones you know that are?

They'll be pretty f'd trying to fill cleaning positions etc in that case.

Welcome to the concept of wage elasticity (economics 101).
    -Lack of Demand? Modify the Price (wages+) = Supply++.

• Advertisement

So inner city type people are low skilled,uneducated and from poor backgrounds? Or is it just the ones you know that are?

yes, they used to be anyway. The flats etc. They don't go to Blackrock college, but you know that anyway, I don't know what your angle is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement