Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dying from a drug overdose

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

River was a hypocrite, espousing the dangers of drugs while abusing them frequently. A tragic end undoubtedly, considering his acting talent. Stand By Me is more powerful in retrospect.

One could say his end does rather reinforce his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Giveaway wrote: »
    A waste of life, all of them. So much potential wasted. Its socially acceptable to use drugs here, cannabis etc. Among the under 30s anything goes. I think the acceptance and the push to see addiction as a purely medical problem is paradoxically making the behaviour more acceptable and worse

I agree with the second part of your post.

The first part of your post is no good though. Cannabis has never caused a drug overdose in someone ever. Hard drugs like heroin and meth are the ones that cause overdoses, that ruin lives, families and drive up criminality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Agree with you from drugs dehumanise on. Injection centers/needle exchange are good idea but we need to stop placing them in areas such as the city centre as the addicts take over the shared public area. I can got to work at the end of a bus route. Surely the same can be expected

They need to be accessible to a majority. You make them hard for most people to get to, it'll just keep the problems going instead of trying to understand and manage it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I agree with the second part of your post.

The first part of your post is no good though. Cannabis has never caused a drug overdose in someone ever. Hard drugs like heroin and meth are the ones that cause overdoses, that ruin lives, families and drive up criminality.

Cannabis is directly associated with criminality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

We should round up every drug dealer and shoot the lot of them.

Bodycount in 10s of thousands in the Phillippinnes amd guess what, its still a hole

• Advertisement

jopax wrote: »
    I read in the daily mail yesterday about Holby city actor John Michie, his daughters boyfriend was sentenced for her drug overdose last year at a festival.
    It's very disturbing how she died, it certainly wasn't peaceful, he filmed the whole thing & never called for help until it was too late.
    She was a beautiful looking girl, only 22, it's not just the drugs that killed her it was the sadistic b...ard knew what he was doing.
    Just so sad, as they say, drugs don't discriminate nobody is infallible.
    And there is only one other documented fatal overdose on the drug taken. Expect a successful appeal when a non jury appeals court looks at this. She voluntarily ingested the drug. Effectively he supplied it and did not help when she became ill and it would be reasonable to believe she wouldnt die as the drugs record before is fairly good(ie just one otjer death)

stimpson wrote: »
    Funny then that the Dutch are closing prisons because they don’t have enough prisoners: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-prisons-are-closing-because-the-country-is-so-safe-a7765521.html

Maybe the Irish state should rent some of these prison places, would help with are revolving door/suspended sentence system. Win Win for us and Holland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Canabis ≠ Criminality. Judging by the quantities I smoked, I should be Al Capone.
    The surprising thing, I'm not.
    Correlation ≠ Causation. Sadly that is a rather common error in simplistic argumentation.
    Otherwise you could argue that almost all criminals wear shoes. Ergo, shoes cause criminality.
    It's Tiger Rock logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Canabis ≠ Criminality. Judging by the quantities I smoked, I should be Al Capone.
    The surprising thing, I'm not.
    Correlation ≠ Causation. Sadly that is a rather common error in simplistic argumentation.
    Otherwise you could argue that almost all criminals wear shoes. Ergo, shoes cause criminality.
    It's Tiger Rock logic.

You are making scum rich with your addiction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Then it should be legalised.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

Then it should be legalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In my time as a Garda, I got to witness 2 people being brought back from heroin overdoses. Scary time. Ambulance crew come in all calm, knowing exactly what to do and what happens. The person is basically dead on the ground, everyone is cleared back from them and 1 paramedic injects the magic juice into them. They wake up like Chev Chelios in Crank after getting a dose of adrenaline. They don't know where they are or what's going on, and usually become quite violent for about 10 minutes. It's surreal to see someone basically dead wake up with vigour in their eyes.

I believe it costs about €1000 to bring someone back from an OD, including the cost of the drug and the ambulance crews time. Crazy thing is, one of the 2 that OD'd done it again the following day and didn't make it that time.

I believe it costs about €1000 to bring someone back from an OD, including the cost of the drug and the ambulance crews time. Crazy thing is, one of the 2 that OD'd done it again the following day and didn't make it that time.
    yeah but it's a human being we're talking about here. There are plenty of people in recovery who have OD'd in the past and are getting on with their lives.

I'd like to know the cost of that drug (not expecting you to go research this, btw), but even 1k seems reasonable for an intervention that can bring someone back from near-certain death.

Compare that to the legal aid bill in defending drug-dealing criminals, where the state pays for both sides. Not saying that that's necessarily wrong either, just mentioning it for perspective.

yeah but it's a human being we're talking about here. There are plenty of people in recovery who have OD'd in the past and are getting on with their lives.

I'd like to know the cost of that drug (not expecting you to go research this, btw), but even 1k seems reasonable for a drug that can bring someone back from near-certain death.

But at what point do we say 'enough is enough' when you could be spending that €1k on the same junkie every week? That same junkie who has no intentions of changing, even though all the help is out there?

As for the drug, it's called Naloxone and it has only gone up in price. From this article in America in December 2016 (where it's inevitably cheaper than here):

'Naloxone is most commonly administered by injection or spray. Kaléo, a Virginia company, has increased the price of its naloxone auto-injectors, sold as Evzio, from $690 for a kit of two to $4,500 in less than two years. Amphastar of California nearly tripled the price of syringes pre-filled with naloxone.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'd like to know the cost of that drug (not expecting you to go research this, btw), but even 1k seems reasonable for an intervention that can bring someone back from near-certain death.

Compare that to the legal aid bill in defending drug-dealing criminals, where the state pays for both sides. Not saying that that's necessarily wrong either, just mentioning it for perspective.

Also bear in mind that it's actually very easy for anyone to administer the drug (Naloxone) with minimal training; well worth the cost to save a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Also bear in mind that it's actually very easy for anyone to administer the drug (Naloxone) with minimal training; well worth the cost to save a life.

Easy to administer , I've used it loads of times , it's astonishing to see someone coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Easy to administer , I've used it loads of times , it's astonishing to see someone coming back.

And also the time when they're most likely to go f*ckin mental and act as if possessed.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

But at what point do we say 'enough is enough' when you could be spending that €1k on the same junkie every week? That same junkie who has no intentions of changing, even though all the help is out there?
    A "junkie" aka a human being.

At what point after some middle-class alcoholic presents at ED with seizures, or acute liver failure, should doctors just say 'Nah, leave him be Rashid, let him die in the carpark'?

It's not often that paramedics and medics get to save a person's life so dramatically... Despite the inevitable aggro they get, I'm sure they'd rather do that, than drive à corpse to the morgue on their watch. They're professional people and I doubt any of them would countenance letting an addicted person die on the side of the road. Most people are decent, like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Isn't it also illegal to have a surname River I mean its in their culture over in that place if your not a junkie or pedo your just odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Isn't it also illegal to have a surname River I mean its in their culture over in that place if your not a junkie or pedo your just odd.

?????????????????????

You ok hun ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

In my time as a Garda, I got to witness 2 people being brought back from heroin overdoses. Scary time. Ambulance crew come in all calm, knowing exactly what to do and what happens. The person is basically dead on the ground, everyone is cleared back from them and 1 paramedic injects the magic juice into them. They wake up like Chev Chelios in Crank after getting a dose of adrenaline. They don't know where they are or what's going on, and usually become quite violent for about 10 minutes. It's surreal to see someone basically dead wake up with vigour in their eyes.

The drug (naloxone) isn't expensive, around €1 a dose for a generic, moe for branded and injector pens but still not an expensive drug, in many places police are issued with injector pens as hey are more likely to be first on the scene of an OD.

The addicts don't like it because it blocks the effects of the opioid and gives them instant withdrawal symptoms. It is a quick fix but a short term one as the effects only last a short time, if not monitored and more doses given the addict can OD again when the naloxone wears off.

The cost of addicts to society through the health service, police and criminal justice industry and side effects to individuals through crime and anti-social behaviour is enormous.

Criminalising intoxicating substances is a monumentally stupid policy and one that has completely failed to prevent widespread abuse worldwide. The only people it benefits are the enormously wealthy and powerful criminal networks who have ravaged entire countries on the production side as well as millions of lives of consumers.

Until western countries drop the delusion that banning things you don't like makes them go away there will never be a solution to our current illegal drug problem and the devastating effects it has on users and the community at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Drug usage is absolutely fcuking rampant. I suspect someone I know is taking drugs and he's a different person to who he was before.

I was out for a walk and a neighbour stopped to give me a lift. Whatever way our chat turned, his lads were out for the night and I said something like I don't know why or how they can do it, the hangovers aren't worth it. His exact words to me were: you wouldn't mind if alcohol was all they are on.

A lot of students are taking drugs as well.
    I had my eyes opened at my work Xmas do.

It was raining outside, it was snowing inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Move to 1:58 this guy actually was in the same movie as the dead one smoking weed aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

I would suspect that this scene has played a small part in that misconception.

That's a brilliant scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

I'd tend to believe River knew what he was taking.

Drugs dehumanise you and you lose all perspective of the value of your life.

No. They do not.

Overuse of them does however.

But so does overuse of pretty much anything from Computer Games to Gambling to alcohol to sex.

The majority of users of all these things do just fine and we are perfectly human and our perspective and life values are a-ok.
    And from historic lows antisocial behaviour and low level criminality are increasing

A statistic that even if true is not at all informative in isolation. Absolutely no useful conclusions can be drawn from such a statistic. Even were I not to be totally doubting the veracity of it.

Sure but that might be a bit too vague to be useful. You could replace the first word with just about anything and get the same level of meaning. Lets try it:

"Cars are directly associated with criminality".
    "Children are directly associated with criminality".

It works for many things.

This is a fantastic video explaining why addicition is being handled wrong:

@ATNM, I completely understand that paramedics would prefer to save a life rather than transport a body. I do, that's their job, it's what they do. And I may not have the same level of compassion as most people. Be it from experience, both personal and professional, or maybe my brain is just wired differently, but I don't assign the same level of empathy to everyone. You can call me inhumane, but i genuinely believe that after a certain point, when people have proven they don't want help, we should stop helping them. I can't help how I feel, that's just me.

Then again, I'm quite different to most people, and I'm totally ok with that. I also don't have this perceived notion that everyone has empathy for kids. I don't. I dislike them greatly. I believe that children are no one else's responsibility except the parents/guardians. I get slack for it, but again, I don't care. I have stronger feelings for other matters. That's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

As for the drug, it's called Naloxone and it has only gone up in price. From this article in America in December 2016 (where it's inevitably cheaper than here):

'Naloxone is most commonly administered by injection or spray. Kaléo, a Virginia company, has increased the price of its naloxone auto-injectors, sold as Evzio, from $690 for a kit of two to $4,500 in less than two years. Amphastar of California nearly tripled the price of syringes pre-filled with naloxone.'

This response is typical of Gardai I've encountered on the topic. I went on a date with a guard last year who, two pints in, suggested that a good solution to Dublin's heroin problem would be "line them up and put a bullet in their heads".

Now, I'm not saying that's your opinion, and your line of work probably does desensitise you, but how much time have you spent thinking about the path those people's lives took to get them there.

For the most part they don't grow up in the cosy middle class families gardai tend to come from.

Of course everyone has choices, and heroin is a bad choice... but I've never even seen heroin. While I was in college I experimented with cannabis, magic mushrooms, acid, estacy and Special K. I was friendly with dealers. I went to raves.

But even being involved in "the scene" no one ever offered me heroin or pushed it on me, or took it in front of me. The people it gets pushed on tend to be young and vulnerable.

It's easy to judge.

I completely agree, it's very easy to judge, and heroin is not as easy to get as some people say. Like yourself, pre-Gardaí, I dabbled in experimentation, but was never offered it either. But, with a small bit of looking, you can get it.

And I do take the point of not knowing the background of the vast majority of these junkies, but you have to admit that in some cases, they don't want the help, they prefer to be the junkie. There are so many support systems in place out there for addicts, that you can only do a certain amount before we, in my opinion, should cut the losses. Only humans try to save everyone, animals leave the weak behind and what are we only advanced animals. Take from that what you will, but I stopped caring what people thought about me a while back, and I'm happier for it.

Not everyone thinks all humans should be treated the same. I don't. I don't think burglars should be treated the same as law abiding citizens. I don't think rapists should have any rights, as they took them from someone else. I think all paedos should be shot dead. And while I am happy for junkies to get help, and pay for that help via my taxes, I also believe there should be a cut off. You can only help people a certain amount, and the rest it up to them. If they don't want it, then fine.

Similarly, I am behind the governments intention to remove people from the housing list if they make 2 denials. It's welfare, not a life we should be providing. I'm a single male, 35, no dependants (and don't ever want kids). I'm living at home with my 70+ year old parents, initially as a stop gap while I transitioned from a Garda with a mortgage (unaffordable) to a civilian with negative equity after selling the house. Surprisingly, I didn't expect to be left in the house if I couldn't afford it, unlike some people, and their defenders, who seem to think they should be (ie: farmer all over the media recently, handled wrong but dead right to kick him out). I'm entitled to no help, none whatsoever, but I'm still paying, via taxes, for everyone else on the entitlement culture to get what they want. I'll never get assistance unless I impregnate someone, which I have no intention of doing. And I can't afford to rent. So I'm stuck at home for the foreseeable, with no hope of getting a 4eva home or any assistance whatsoever. I've checked.

I wasn't like this, 9 years as a Garda, and the now very well documented 'me, me, me' culture has made me this way. I love helping, and it's why I became a Garda, but now society does so much taking and no giving, it has completely changed my views on this country. I now have what some would consider a cold heart, and that's grand, no problem. I have the things I hold close, and I have views on many things that most people would consider heartless, but being a single male with no kids and experience of the worst parts of society, it's left me like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There isn't a single piece of actual evidence in this post.

FFS...You can’t say that without backing your statement up with proven facts!!!

Advertisement