Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Question of Career..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fgEK-Ksis4

love this video.

for me the perfect job is 1)Being my own boss
    2)Doing something i like doing
    3)Low stress
    4)Earning enough money to never have to worry about money

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

OP, just because you've done one thing in college doesn't mean you'll have to follow through and spend your entire life in jobs related to those subjects.

I think the first thing you should do is find out what it is you want to do. Just knowing what you don't want to do isn't quite enough for this kind of decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Berserker wrote: »
    The work life balance aspect is becoming more of a problem though. The company I work for now expects people to live for the job. I don't partake in this myself, as I'm going back to study next year and I won't be looking for a promotion but the rest of work force have to play the game and they are answering emails at midnight etc now. The CEO who is championing this, was praising people who were answering mails whilst on annual leave last week.

Ah but that's a company issue, in fact probably just that CEO. I know enough corporates who are offering more flexibility to staff than ever before and are hugely aware of work / life balance. Why? It's come back around to be an employee's market again. Companies can't get enough people, and they can't hold on to them.

So they'll pay more. Allow you to work from home. Flexible hours. etc.

Anyway OP you can become an accountant and then go work in Google or somewhere like that. Or work in the not for profit sector, or the entertainment business. Or open up your own business / practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I got out of the corporate world recently. I moved from big firm IT to furniture restoration. I actually look forward to starting work in the morning.

I never considered myself as a hands on woodworking type, now it turns out that I'm quite good at it. Ok, so I found my dream job at 38, but I love it and my family is a lot happier because of that.

If you have treasured and/or useful furniture you want restored, give me a shout. North Dublin.

What are the long term financial implications for this career change? Fast forward 50 years, where will you stand financially had you stayed in IT vs moving into woodworking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

Fast forward 50 years, where will you stand ...

One foot in the grave with a finely crafted custom built coffin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

pgj2015 wrote: »

for me the perfect job is

1)Being my own boss
    2)Doing something i like doing
    3)Low stress
    4)Earning enough money to never have to worry about money

I'm guessing you're either a high-class prostitute or a pig-wanker. OP could do worse, I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

We are in a boom. People want a rewarding money paying hobby where they can be fulfilled.

When the recession comes, and it will, people will be happy with a job.

I'm guessing you're either a high-class prostitute or a pig-wanker. OP could do worse, I suppose :D

ha ha strange reply.

im guessing you are in a job that the op would rather blow his brains out than do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

pgj2015 wrote: »
    ha ha strange reply.

im guessing you are in a job that the op would rather blow his brains out than do.

Yup, I'd say you're dead right there! Horses for courses and all that though - I love my job :)

What are the long term financial implications for this career change? Fast forward 50 years, where will you stand financially had you stayed in IT vs moving into woodworking?

maybe he would be in the river if he stayed in IT. If i had stayed in a corporate job, thats exactly where I would be. doing something you hate and get no joy from is so depressing, the op is clever enough to have realized this before he gets stuck in the trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

If I had stayed in IT I would be dead in ten or fifteen years from suicide. I had always battled with severe depression. Now I'm happy working. In fifty years anything can happen.

Are you a financial advisor by any chance?

Oddly, I'm getting lots of requests to (re)paint kitchen cupboard doors and stair bannisters. Is this something to do with that restoration show on BBC that skips all the hard parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'm aware this is After Hours which does open this discussion up to the more crass and flippant users on here but I'm gonna give this a go anyway.

Basically, I'm in final year of college and all I see is a life in the corporate world stretched out in front of me. I have interviews with the Big 4 and, despite the fact that I would rather blow my brains out than willingly work for them, I find myself preparing for the interviews even though I have no ambition or desire to pursue that career path.

For someone who despises the corporate world, what can they do in life? I'm studying Business & German so the degree is tailored for the corporate world and, being honest, I am dreading finishing college as I feel fairly lost about it all.

I've considered becoming a football manager as I do feel I have a talent for tactical analysis, scouting players and organisation in general. However, it's not exactly something you can just wander into and start work in and I can't afford to pay fees for another course in college.

I'm open to criticism, complaints and advice.

Listen, I studied a couple of things before I finally settled into Accountancy. Yes, I am NOT a corporate head. Never enjoyed the 9 to 5 lifestyle.

Can I be blunt? Business can bring you anywhere. I have travelled the world, lived in several countries and currently have a job that I love in business development/consultancy. I wear several hats CEO/COO/Director amongst others. It has all been due to the fact that I was open to crazy offers and saw a benefit to myself and others. Some of the jobs I have done were not mainstream and took me to dangerous areas of the globe. I got experience in many areas and have used that experience to get me to where I am now.

Do NOT pidgeon hole yourself. Do NOT think of a career as a one dimensional path. Paths in nature weave and are never straight, neither is a career.

I live abroad, come home whenever I want, I LOVE what I do and it has been talking to people and earning experience in life that has stood me in the roles I now occupy.

If you do not want to be a corporate head, dont be. Life is too short and whether you like it or not, money is NOT everything. It is purely a means to an end.

Advertisement