Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National slow down day.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That isn't quite true about ebikes. There are a lot of them sold that require a licence and insurance as they are not capped at 25kph. Some are not designed to adhere to EU regs st all by having throttles and not requiring peddling and others have been modified.

The gardai don't know the models enough to spot the illegal ones but it is a matter of time before there is an accident and a public outcry.

Even with the motor stopping you can still cycle faster. Hit 50kph regularly cycling. Cycling along 30kph limit along the quays is a complete joke as cars are all speeding well over the limit

Fair enough, but I think it's fair to say that for a road-legal cyclist, speed limits don't apply.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As someone who is pretty highly strung and on the go most of the time, slowing down and taking time out to chill, meditate and reflect is more important than ever in today's crazy hectic workd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

amcalester wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I think it's fair to say that for a road-legal cyclist, speed limits don't apply.

Are you sure of that though? I don't know any better that speed limits are applicable for anything travelling on that particular road.

Now whether or not it is actively enforced is an entirely different matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

wexie wrote: »
    Are you sure of that though? I don't know any better that speed limits are applicable for anything travelling on that particular road.

Now whether or not it is actively enforced is an entirely different matter of course.
    Speed limits only apply to mechanically propelled vehicles.

There's very little enforcement of any Road Traffic Offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Speed limits apply to motorised vehicles. Ebikes don't count as they are motor assist unless as I stated earlier where they aren't assistant devices.

The thing is the electric scooters and hoverboards do need to adhere to them but aren't legal for path or road use. An ever increasing number are appearing on the roads and an accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

100%, bikes aren't mechanically propelled vehicles and so aren't covered by the legislation.

There are other offences that a Garda could charge an offending cyclist with, Riding a bicycle without reasonable consideration, being the closest applicable one that I know of.

This is a Fixed Charge Offence too, €40 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

amcalester wrote: »

100%, bikes aren't mechanically propelled vehicles and so aren't covered by the legislation.

There are other offences that a Garda could charge an offending cyclist with, Riding a bicycle without reasonable consideration, being the closest applicable one that I know of.

That's nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The black lads are smarter, always stand behind other people if a car is coming at you.

Operation Get behind the Commie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

That's nuts!

Not really as cyclists don't pose anywhere near the level of danger motorised vehicles do. It really only applies to 30kph anyway . Very hard to find a motorist that adheres to that speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    ��

I think half of the posters in the thread seem to have missed this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

National milk the driver day. If they were serious they'd be patrolling actual blackspots but more likely they're just trying to milk people with speedtraps in the usual places where no accidents happen to make up their OT bill instead. Dont hate the guards myself but this whole excercise is obviously just to make money more than save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Or people could just stick to the speed limits, and then they make nothing from days like this, or any speed enforcement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Infini wrote: »
    National milk the driver day. If they were serious they'd be patrolling actual blackspots but more likely they're just trying to milk people with speedtraps in the usual places where no accidents happen to make up their OT bill instead. Dont hate the guards myself but this whole excercise is obviously just to make money more than save lives.

If that was the case they'd hardly publicise it, would they?
    Truth be told there should probably be a lot more speed checks.
    I'm not sure if the speed vans are achieving much, unless you are driving on unfamiliar roads.
    I know all the areas they cover now within my usual driving range and where they park so basically I know I only have to check my speed in certain places.
    Garda checks could bring in huge revenue I reckon if they made a really concentrated effort to "make money".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Infini wrote: »

Give us a few examples of places you think the Gardaí should be patrolling to catch speeding drivers, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

... what?

Advertisement