Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shoes off.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's normal all over Europe.
    I'm used to it now, shoes off at the front door.
    It's better this way.....

Whore if ye wear boots though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I' m in favour of it, some people are just dirty feckers and will walk in with muddy shoes.

It's amazing how uppity some people in Ireland seem to be about it though, like 5 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s the first thing I do when I get home but the last thing I’d think of doing in someone else’s home. Just wouldn’t cross my mind. But if asked I would do it. I don’t wear socks however, so that’s awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Take off yer fecking shoes. You have walked through traces of dog and cat faeces, human spit, rats urine, vomit, refuse, fox poop, and innumerable other delights if you have travelled any average street or road. I want crawling babies, floor licking toddlers and sock wearing me to be spared your worldly detritus, thanks very much. In many other countries it is utterly weird to walk into a home with your street shoes on, and yes, tradesmen and visiting professionals have plastic outer shoes they automatically produce. If you love your shoes so much lick the soles of them - that is what you are offering floor dwelling smallies......blech!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

crasy dash wrote: »
    As I work as a delivery driver which includes installation come across it a fair share in my day.

My normal approach to it is, on insurance grounds I can't remove my protective shoes as I run the risk of breaking a toe or injuring my foot.

Was only in a house yesterday where the woman came to the door and let me in as I entered directly in front of me was the stairs and a huge sign saying no shoes upstairs had to laugh as both were about 70.

Reminds me of a situation with a buddy of mine who was doing work renovating a kitchen in a house,the woman of the house insisted that they remove their work boots indoors. They were ripping out the whole room and taking down a wall. Hardly practical to work in socks. Their solution was to ask her if she had a safepass,hi Vis vest and hard hat as the kitchen was officially a building site,that ended the whole removing shoes mularkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Malayalam wrote: »
    Take off yer fecking shoes. You have walked through traces of dog and cat faeces, human spit, rats urine, vomit, refuse, fox poop, and innumerable other delights if you have travelled any average street or road. I want crawling babies, floor licking toddlers and sock wearing me to be spared your worldly detritus, thanks very much. In many other countries it is utterly weird to walk into a home with your street shoes on, and yes, tradesmen and visiting professionals have plastic outer shoes they automatically produce. If you love your shoes so much lick the soles of them - that is what you are offering floor dwelling smallies......blech!

What if the toddler has thrown up on the floor at some point?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

we just taught our kids to not lick the floors.

Seems like a good idea anyways like, shoes or no shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I used to play in muck as a kid rarely sick

Are yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have sympathy for your concerns, but exposure to the above mentioned worldly detritus would probably be beneficial for the long term health of your little ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

I used to play in muck as a kid rarely sick

Are yours?

Muck might not have made you sick, so let's try to have more of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what about houses where the inside is like this.

i can think of more houses iv worked in that you wouldnt take your shoes off for your own protection than those that you would take them off because the house was really clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

blackbox wrote: »
    I have sympathy for your concerns, but exposure to the above mentioned worldly detritus would probably be beneficial for the long term health of your little ones.

Exposure to the outside world, including sun, cold and wind is good for you in general, so why don't you live permanently outside?

Haha. Pushed some buttons.

No, baby vomit is not the same as dog shyte.

And guess what they don't have to actually lick the floor, they just have to put the hands they crawled with into their mouths.

Take off yer fecking shoes ye dirty divils.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't know, is it really that difficult to obey the rules in someone else's house? (unless you wear them for health and safety reasons)
    Don't come into my house,leave your shoes on when I'm clearly asking you to take them off and explain to me you do me a favour with exposing my kids to all the **** I'm walking through.
    That's basic manners really. If you're somewhere else where it's the total norm, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't do it.

It's just as rude as walking into someone else's house and just start eating stuff out of their fridge and presses without blinking an eye. Or flushing when you used the toilet and not pooping on the floor.

If people are grand with it, no bother, I usually am. But their house, their rules really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Standard here, everyone takes off shoes before entering. Tradesmen put on covers over their shoes when in a house. Don't know why you would leave shoes on, dragging in whatever is under your shoes around the house, plus nice to let the feet breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Haha. Pushed some buttons.

No, baby vomit is not the same as dog shyte.

And guess what they don't have to actually lick the floor, they just have to put the hands they crawled with into their mouths.

Take off yer fecking shoes ye dirty divils.
    Children are hardier than they look. Think of some of the conditions kids are raised in around the world.

We wouldn't have survived as a species for this long if we weren't tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some weirdos on here

Some weirdos on here

Go on, tell us how many times you've thought that in the last 30000 posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jester77 wrote: »
    Standard here, everyone takes off shoes before entering. Tradesmen put on covers over their shoes when in a house. Don't know why you would leave shoes on, dragging in whatever is under your shoes around the house, plus nice to let the feet breathe.

I have no objection to putting on covers if they are provided... if people are so concerned about their floors it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that they are provided.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Children are hardier than they look. Think of some of the conditions kids are raised in around the world.

We wouldn't have survived as a species for this long if we weren't tough.

Well I managed to rear three and they ate mud and stones and were barefoot outside for half the year, but I still would not let them crawl down your average street and if that is where your leather has been - and it is - leave your shoes in the hall on the shoe rack where they belong in a civilised world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Some weirdos on here

I'm one of them. I rarely wear pants when in the house. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I used to do this... when I had carpet downstairs.

Replaced the lot with wood-effect tile. Freakin' dream come true. Walk in filthy, wait for floor to dry, then my Roomba brushes up the lot.

Carpet is the devil's flooring.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

See. That's civilised.

Anyway I'm out. People either get it or they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Take off your shoes, it's fairly simple and keeps the house you are entering a little cleaner.

If you are asked to take off your shoes and you act like a child, the problem is on your side ;)

Sleeper12 wrote: »

See. That's civilised.

to be honest I think I'd prefer someone's shoes on my floor over their bare ass on my couch...

Maybe I'm a bit strange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

I can't believe there are people that get offended about someone having good hygiene. You wear your shoes walking on all kinds of dirty streets and footpaths gathering who knows what, wearing them inside your house is disgusting especially if you wear them into a bedroom where you'll be walking barefoot in. The best solution is to buy multiple pairs of slippers and leave them at the entrance so anyone coming in can throw them on, they're more comfortable than shoes. The same people that complain about this are probably the type that eat like horses at the table

If they were mucky or something id take them off as soon as i was invited in without asking as i would my own home

Other than that it does annoy me being asked ( i would agree and mutter c**t under my breath) but i dont wanna spend to much time in someones house that values there carpet/wooden floor more than having a friend over.

You're actually a nutter, you realise that it's possible to do both; want friends over for company while also still simply being mindful of basic hygiene. If they valued their floor more than having a friend over then you wouldn't be there at all. It's actually hilarious how bizarre it is to enter someone else's home and take offense at them making a basic request to do a very simple thing while in their home that they have invited you into. It's not like they've asked you to put on a hazmat suit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Im in and out all day /dog in and out all day too. Couldnt be bothered. Anyways im glad the few houses i call to are not fussy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What about pet cats and dogs walking around the place after being outdoors.

Maybe 'Booties' animal socks should be compulsory for all pets.

wexie wrote: »
    to be honest I think I'd prefer someone's shoes on my floor over their bare ass on my couch...

Maybe I'm a bit strange?

Lookit, who said bare ass, haha...they'd be wearing knickers, silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd be respectful to anyones reasonable wishes whilst on their property. That certainly goes as far as removing my shoes in their house if they wish. My little family can't wear outdoor shoes in the house. There's just to much sand, muck and debris, particularly with this weather.

Some people seem to feel their foot/sock hygiene might be worse than their outer footwear! Most likely because they rarely remove their shoes... They need to get on top of that.

Advertisement