Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

They dont have to pay the fee is they dont mark it as sold. Silly system, but that's the system thats there

Yep, figured that.

Cnuts

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    How are they c*nts? Both the buyer and seller can leave feedback regardless of whether it was sold or not.

I was refering to the system not the people themselves.

Anyway PrettyBoy, kindly talk me through leaving feedback for someone who has successfully sold an item to you but did not accept your offer on site, then withdrew the item instead of marking it sold.

'Cos I cant seem to do it....not being smart btw, just want to leave feedback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

McGruber wrote: »
    'Cos I cant seem to do it....not being smart btw, just want to leave feedback.

What an exciting life you lead that this is causing you trouble.

What an exciting life you lead that this is causing you trouble.

It's more exciting since you came along Barry, my sweetheart.

How's the prolapsed rectum? Still stuffing it back in with your fingers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

McGruber wrote: »
    It's more exciting since you came along Barry, my sweetheart.

How's the prolapsed rectum? Still stuffing it back in with your fingers?

You should save that manure for the dome.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

Garzard wrote: »
    Just an update on my ad - was offered €120 yesterday, despite strongly underlying no offers below €200 - €220 is currently my asking price. Practically brand-new and never used since receiving it as a Christmas present which cost €280 in-store. Their reasoning was that they lived near my area and they could already get it delivered brand-new for €160 online.

Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot with my asking price, but I'm seriously considering giving up and withdrawing the ad at this stage. It's been up on that site over 3 months and with the exception of one person just asking if I'd sell a particular part of the item separately, I've only had time-wasters and unreasonable offers.

will swap for a tonne of liscannor flag stones

does tha include delivery?

no delivery would cost another 60

final offer a near mint condition 1987 lite-ace, the broken lawn mower, a 1970's fender guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Had ad up for a swap, put the price at 1 euro, guy comes along with offer 1 euro if you dont accept I'm reporting you for false advertisement......yeh F**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Had ad up for a swap, put the price at 1 euro, guy comes along with offer 1 euro if you dont accept I'm reporting you for false advertisement......yeh F**k off.

Why did you put a price of €1? Don't enter a price if you're not going to honour it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

i would turn that around and say is... buying on adverts.ie a joke?

been ripped off with p&p on numerous occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

If you think selling on Adverts.ie is bad check out this article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/06/printer_craigslist/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

pjproby wrote: »
    If you think selling on Adverts.ie is bad check out this article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/06/printer_craigslist/

that is just scary..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Kamili wrote: »
    that is just scary..

Welcome to America!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

SteoL wrote: »
    Why did you put a price of €1? Don't enter a price if you're not going to honour it!

Its easier for your ad to be spotted on the selling pages and for pm purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

My comments where deleted from Boards.ie for asking them to remove comments of someone calling me a "bleedin muppet" after i told him i wanted more than 60 quid for a 1 year old iPhone.

So i paid more than i did over on DoneDeal to post the ad. Had people abuse me for asking for the price stated in the ad and then sold it through DoneDeal for full price anyway.

An even better one was when i was selling a childs bed for 40 quid which was easily worth more but just wanted rid.

Someone offered me "20 if you deliver to talliht". I live in ****ing Waterford. And yes that is how they spelled Tallaght. I thought to myself they must be from another country but no. They literally where from Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

My comments where deleted from Boards.ie for asking them to remove comments of someone calling me a "bleedin muppet" after i told him i wanted more than 60 quid for a 1 year old iPhone.

So i paid more than i did over on DoneDeal to post the ad. Had people abuse me for asking for the price stated in the ad and then sold it through DoneDeal for full price anyway.

An even better one was when i was selling a childs bed for 40 quid which was easily worth more but just wanted rid.

Someone offered me "20 if you deliver to talliht". I live in ****ing Waterford. And yes that is how they spelled Tallaght. I thought to myself they must be from another country but no. They literally where from Tallaght.

Wud yi deliver to de cihee centar den

I was buying stuff off Adverts and agreed to go collect. got the address, showed up and told wrong place. Rang the number and no answer. texted, no answer. Left a message, no answer.
    Sent a message on adverts, no answer.
    half an hour later, oh yeah sorry I wasn't home can you come back now?

there's time wasters on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Do none of you look at a persons feedback before dealing with them? :confused:

I have used Adverts for a long time and find it a safe enough place to trade provided that you have your wits about you.

• Advertisement

I always do look at feedback, and anyone I contact to buy stuff from has good feedback.. doesn't mean they don't mess you around either though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Kamili wrote: »
    I was buying stuff off Adverts and agreed to go collect. got the address, showed up and told wrong place. Rang the number and no answer. texted, no answer. Left a message, no answer.
    Sent a message on adverts, no answer.
    half an hour later, oh yeah sorry I wasn't home can you come back now?

there's time wasters on both sides.

Similar thing happened me on Donedeal! The person seemed a bit messed up to be honest, and it's totally put me off donedeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

It's a bit of a joke alright though I reckon eBay is worse with their fees and hiding your listings

It's a bit of a joke alright though I reckon eBay is worse with their fees and hiding your listings

+100

eBay has become increasingly painful to sell on, but it still has the reach that no other site can compete with - more's the pity. :(

Del.Monte wrote: »
    +100

eBay has become increasingly painful to sell on, but it still has the reach that no other site can compete with - more's the pity. :(

My mate worked for eBay and another super trading giant for years,he told me when eBay started a lot of people made an awful of money on it,even from selling things laying around the house,then the EU stuck it's oar in,hes adamant since he was privy to the inner workings that capitalism is only reserved for the already winners...the little people aren't supposed to get ahead like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Do none of you look at a persons feedback before dealing with them? :confused:

I have used Adverts for a long time and find it a safe enough place to trade provided that you have your wits about you.

I always check feedback Wether buying or selling.

I also check their older adverts and recent comments. Especially if I'm selling to check if they're low balling me compared to the 20 other I phones they made an offer on in the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

MarkY91 wrote:
    I also check their older adverts and recent comments. Especially if I'm selling to check if they're low balling me compared to the 20 other I phones they made an offer on in the past hour.

That gets me, "I can only offer this much". Check their other bids and they've offered way more for a higher spec! I'm actually selling a couple of bits atm. I've had one offer of 450 for an item I'm selling for 799. After saying that I would take 750 but no point in advertising at that! I would actually only take 750 even if someone met asking price as that is what I want but unfortunately selling doesn't work like that. I use adverts when I can since the feedback gives you some indication of who you're dealing with. I have sold on DoneDeal before but I got badly stung when they paid me with fake 50 notes to the tune of 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

eBay don't hide listings. They just have a search engine and people wonder why their items don't appear at the top.

I used to work there and I started in customer support. Typical call would be as follows.

Them - "I listed a pink ipod and when you search for it it's on page 40"
    Me - "What search terms are you using"
    Them - "pink Ipod"
    Me - "You listed it as pink Mp3 player"
    Them - "It's the same thing isn't it?"

Editing to add: I know the search engine inside out. If you want any advice, send me a message.

Grayson wrote: »
    eBay don't hide listings. They just have a search engine and people wonder why their items don't appear at the top.

I used to work there and I started in customer support. Typical call would be as follows.

Them - "pink Ipod"

Their current system is difficult to navigate and does hide items - I recently had prolonged dealings with eBay and they admitted that there are problems. It's not the place for the small trader any more and many of the items offered by larger traders (DVDs/Books etc.) can be had far cheaper elsewhere. eBay for sourcing an item and Amazon for buying it.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

Them - "pink Ipod"

Editing to add: I know the search engine inside out. If you want any advice, send me a message.

I'm not so sure,my listing used to disappear at the same time everyday(normally when top sellers listings changed back from free Postage),it even disappeared from my active listings.i even read it somewhere they have it somewhere In their user agreement.

Advertisement