Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are Indian takeaway food so expensive in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

tecknika wrote: »
    Does not wash as Chinese and other places seem on a par with the UK. It is just Indians that are taking the ****...

Except the quality of Chinese food in Ireland is absolute dog****.

Think of the worst chipper in your town. That's the standard of most Chinese places in Ireland.

The bar is set far higher for Indians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The MSG doesn't come for free ya know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

eviltwin wrote: »
    No they probably wouldn't want to do that.

Well yano, that's there problem then isn't it? I pick out any veg I don't like in a dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Gbear wrote: »
    Except the quality of Chinese food in Ireland is absolute dog****.

Think of the worst chipper in your town. That's the standard of most Chinese places in Ireland.

That's because the Chinese are so short is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

That's because the Chinese are so short is it?

Nee Hi, most of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Gbear wrote: »

I guess that's because most of them don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I think my dislike for Indian food is down to the fact that it looks almost exactly the same coming out as it went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

anncoates wrote: »
    There's a snobbish perception here about how much higher quality a fast food like Indian takeaway is compared to a fast food like Chinese takeaway so the former costs a lot more.

Ah I wouldn't say it's snobbery most Chinese takeaways are just greasy crap. It's literally add whatever sauce you picked to meat and cheap veg and your done.

Lot more effort goes into Indian food.

If either are done right they can be amazing but from what I've eaten over the years the Indian food tends to be better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Chinese fast food here is muck.
    You would have to go to a nice Chinese restaurant like China Sichaun for a decent dish! Thai food (which is a more recent thing) and Indian are on a much higher quality level overall. Don't get me wrong, there are a few dodgy Indians (Tandoori Bite Portobello open all night!) that are a bit of a gut buster but I would pay that extra 2euro anyday for Indian over Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika

Ah I wouldn't say it's snobbery most Chinese takeaways are just greasy crap. It's literally add whatever sauce you picked to meat and cheap veg and your done.

If either are done right they can be amazing but from what I've eaten over the years the Indian food tends to be better quality.

Does less effort go into it in the UK as its cheaper than Chinese food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

These assertions are usually the same and not really qualified much beyond Chinese takeaway is greasy crap but Indian takes more effort etc.

Maybe people are comparing full Indian meals with 3 in 1s or something.

I eat both. My local places are decent enough. Indian is generally better and more varied but not so much as to justify (in my area ) what is generally about a 40% price difference between different fast foods.

Chicken Korma seeing how it is so popular here is £3.50 in some random city centre in the UK and €14.95 in some random place in Clonsilla in Dublin.

Chicken Korma seeing how it is so popular here is £3.50 in some random city centre in the UK and €14.95 in some random place in Clonsilla in Dublin. Neither come with Rice etc..all is extra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

This thread has made me hungry....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Smidge wrote: »
    I think my dislike for Indian food is down to the fact that it looks almost exactly the same coming out as it went in.

That's how they make the dishes - they've a team of professional cooks out back vomiting and defecating into a plastic container. The rice is mass purchased from Aldi.

Tag on a price of €12.90 and there you have it.

Some people are suckers for that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

As for the chinese takeaways trying to pass of tofu (or some other god awful slimy white thing that doesn't look nor taste like chicken) as chicken is unreal. How are they never shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

An File wrote: »
    India was never a colony of the Republic of Ireland...

Just going to quote this for those that didn't read it and those that have no notion of world history.

Oh.. For the same bunch, India was a colony of our neighbours, the English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Chances are if you're ordering an Indian, it's actually Bangladeshi or Pakistani chefs, very few true Indian restaurants around in the sticks,

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Is there a reason why Indian food in Ireland so expensive here. I have made many trips to Manchester and Liverpool many times and always enjoy going for Indian food, its good value and the prices on an average Restaurant/Take Away are around 1/3 of that of an average suburban Restaurant/take away in Ireland. Is this due to having a small Indian population compared to the UK because the population here has increased a fair bit as has the number of Indian places yet the prices are still really high.

Because Irish people think that some excrement like Chicken Tikka Massala is actually Indian food. Put a cloth down in front of Andrew and Therese and sling some chutney in front of them, coupled with some poppadom, a few bowls of turmeric-laced gristle, and a platter of basmati served by a lad with a purple turban and they'll think it's a feast that would make the Taj Mahal look like Ballymun.

You could get this gear for free in many of the hand-out kitchens for peasants in Mumbai.

Shemale wrote: »
    As for the chinese takeaways trying to pass of tofu (or some other god awful slimy white thing that doesn't look nor taste like chicken) as chicken is unreal. How are they never shut down.

Anyone who has eaten Tofu and chicken knows well that they don't and also Chicken is as cheap as Tofu if not cheaper. Say argument for the Cats and Dogs racists...they don't do it. If any went to the effort to kill a local dog which I find hard to believe then the likely reason would be for a delicacy for themselves and give the dumb public the cheap auld chicken.

• Advertisement

Wang King wrote: »
    Chances are if you're ordering an Indian, it's actually Bangladeshi or Pakistani chefs, very few true Indian restaurants around in the sticks,

Yes Bengali's tend to run the restaurant game but you know what i meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Anyone who has eaten Tofu and chicken knows well that they don't and also Chicken is as cheap as Tofu if not cheaper. Say argument for the Cats and Dogs racists...they don't do it. If any went to the effort to kill a local dog which I find hard to believe then the likely reason would be for a delicacy for themselves and give the dumb public the cheap auld chicken.

Well you must go to some Michelin Star chinese as the "chicken" in my local places doesn't look like chick breast, taste like chicken breast and doesn't appear to have any fibres through the "meat".

Shemale wrote: »
    Well you must go to some Michelin Star chinese as the "chicken" in my local places doesn't look like chick breast, taste like chicken breast and doesn't appear to have any fibres through the "meat".

It is boiled in chunks and left to cool....a handful is grabbed and thrown into the wok with what ever glup you order. Pretty much all do it this way. I have lost count how many chinese chefs I know and non would eat the chinese food we do. I have also been told countless times if they did proper chinese food it would not sell, we want Chicken balls, MSG and Glup it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Links234 wrote: »
    because most often, we dont have Indian takeaways, we have Indian restaurants that offer takeaway

I think this is pretty much it.

One place did pop up near me that sold indian food at the price of an average chinese takeaway.

It was less appetising and tasted less authentic than something i could have microwaved for half the price.

I'd prefer to pay the restaurant prices for the quality of the food alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Yes Bengali's tend to run the restaurant game but you know what i meant.

Didn't read your comment, wasn't aimed at you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Nee Hi, most of them

His brother bang wan inn is a fine footballer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So many nice indian places to eat in Liverpool/Mersyside, I've never found anywhere here thats even half as good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It is boiled in chunks and left to cool....a handful is grabbed and thrown into the wok with what ever glup you order. Pretty much all do it this way. I have lost count how many chinese chefs I know and non would eat the chinese food we do. I have also been told countless times if they did proper chinese food it would not sell, we want Chicken balls, MSG and Glup it seems.
    I have eaten a couple of actual chinese dishes from a chinese place in london which catered to chinese people exclusively (menu in Chinese with only a couple of dishes translated into english) and I can tell you, to the average european, they would be classed as inedible. That's why we end up with 3 in 1s and chicken's balls.

I have eaten a couple of actual chinese dishes from a chinese place in london which catered to chinese people exclusively (menu in Chinese with only a couple of dishes translated into english) and I can tell you, to the average european, they would be classed as inedible. That's why we end up with 3 in 1s and chicken's balls.

I liked the food in China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I liked the food in China

Ok

Advertisement