Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If the Pope came to Ireland, would you go to see him?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I'd go if it was reasonably priced or better yet, free and I had nothing better to be doing. I'm not Catholic or even religious in any sense but even in this day an age a visit from the pope is a moderately memorable event. You could always bring cans and make a day of it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I wouldn't go out to the backyard to see him.

Then again, as someone else said, I wouldn't queue up to see anyone, nevermind the Pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I went to St Peters Square to see him, great craic so it was, him whizzing around in the Pope mobile and then talking for a while about things. My Ma loved it too. Grand fella so he is.

Yeah, he took a verbal swipe at the Filipino governments birth control scheme, which incidentally the Vatican is challenging by suing the government of the Philippines in an attempt to stop them from issuing free contraceptives, from teaching medical staff about contraception and also to stop the Filipino people being educated about contraception. Don't even get me started on the fact that the Vatican is still telling African people that condoms are wrong, despite the widespread Aids epidemic there. Grand lad altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm sorry but go again. If you don't like to hear an opionon that ridicules the lunacy that is religion then with all due respect I suggest that you're modding the wrong thread. Its not as if I'm posting untruths. To subject honest, factual posts to censure purely on the basis that you don't like it is really not much use to anybody. Might be time to take a back seat on this one and allow a non biased mod to step in.

Genuine suggestion. No intent of further annoying you.

what you are doing is being a wind up merchant.

I'm not one for the back seat, too tall and I like to drive. You are correct to question my bias though. I give up being a Catholic a very long time ago, it went to odds with the life style I like to lead.
    Well if I am it'll kinda price my point.

No, no it doesn't. When you can read this. Please don't post in this thread again. The ban will just get longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah, he took a verbal swipe at the Filipino governments birth control scheme, which incidentally the Vatican is challenging by suing the government of the Philippines in an attempt to stop them from issuing free contraceptives, from teaching medical staff about contraception and also to stop the Filipino people being educated about contraception. Don't even get me started on the fact that the Vatican is still telling African people that condoms are wrong, despite the widespread Aids epidemic there. Grand lad altogether.

It's a turn of phrase. But you probably knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

You're not as highly regarded and esteemed as his holiness though, it's quite rude and abnoxious to consider that you are

FWIW, I would go and see The Backwards Man if he ever came to Dublin.

I hope the man in the pointy hat stays away though. The traffic would be mental and it would be wall to wall holy Joes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i wouldnt cross the road to see him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

I'd only go if he played stuff from his first couple of albums as I'm not really into his new material tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No, but I'd like the state to question him on how the catholic church operates in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Yeah its a no then .....

Respectfully suggest typing Pope+child abuse+denial+compensation into Google

Is that the same compensation da bert made the taxpayer cough up to victims of abuse in state run institutions throughout the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I heard he's playing Electric Picnic this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭mobby

yep love it to happen. like this pope a lot.. 6 million in the rain in the Philippines can't be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

If he was in my front garden I wouldn't go out of my way to look out the window, to be honest.

You'd be well within rights to tell him to get the fuk off your lawn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

T'wud depend on who his support acts are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

If he came in my bum I wouldn't be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Would I go to see him? No. Would I go for a pint with him? Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Would I go to see him? No. Would I go for a pint with him? Most definitely.

Just don't insult his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

No,unless his boss showed up aswell.

Bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I remember going to see him 1979 and my main recollection was having to have a sh!te into a hole full of gravel.. Anyone remember them toilets? Freaked me out at the time only being a young 6 year old - I look at my 6 year old now and not sure he'd like it either.

Oh, and Yes I probably might go along to see him - I'd drag the kids along and remind them all day about how I was them back in 1979 and I had fond memories of it for life. I do find it odd how the Pope goes to all these far flung countries and has never come back to Ireland in over 30 years, us being a big bunch of unwavering devout Catholic's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

If only to see all the idiot sky fairy believing nut jobs line up to recite repetitive chants about their devotion to an invisible non existent being who is master of a notorious peadophile ring.

Actually that sounds properly dangerous. Maybe not.

Why an infraction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Why an infraction?

Do you've anything to add to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

the options on that poll are not great. I'd go and see him, not a great catholic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Id go to protest at the leader of the world's most dangerous and evil cult

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well.
    I was among the 2 million that were brought out to see te pope in 1979.

I was very young but remember it well. It rained and rained and rained, and then we saw the Pope. Was it some sort of spiritual event ? No it wasn't, it was wet and windy day in Knock.

But, it was a strange sort of defining event in a families history. Granny was front and centre in the car, we all had new clothes. And no need for safety going to see the pope - 3 adults and 5 kids in a regular saloon off to Knock.

I don't go to church but I'd probably go and see the current Pope and bring my kids along. If nothing else as a show of support as I think he's a move in the right direction as the head of the church - and boy does it need to move with the times a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I'm an atheist so no he wont have my attendance.
    The Philippineos were like us donkeys years ago believed if we be good, pray, live in fear
    good things will happen my Grandparents and Parents lived with all that hocus pocus had crap lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

No !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Put the pope into croke park for 5 days and nights, how can anyone not go.

It'll be one big party, drinking cans, bonking on residents cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

123balltv wrote: »
    I'm an atheist so no he wont have my attendance.
    The Philippineos were like us donkeys years ago believed if we be good, pray, live in fear
    good things will happen my Grandparents and Parents lived with all that hocus pocus had crap lives.

Surely only an idiot thinks that religion Or believing in a god will give them a good life. My parents had a good life because they worked hard and MADE a good life for themselves and us. They also happened to be both Catholic and Protestant.
    I'm sorry your grandparents and Parents had crap lives, but it's unlikely that was because they had any religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I remember going to see him 1979 and my main recollection was having to have a sh!te into a hole full of gravel.. Anyone remember them toilets? Freaked me out at the time only being a young 6 year old - I look at my 6 year old now and not sure he'd like it either.

Oh, and Yes I probably might go along to see him - I'd drag the kids along and remind them all day about how I was them back in 1979 and I had fond memories of it for life. I do find it odd how the Pope goes to all these far flung countries and has never come back to Ireland in over 30 years, us being a big bunch of unwavering devout Catholic's.

Perhaps those countries haven't had a clerical abuse scandal yet.

To answer OP's question, I wouldn't go.

• Advertisement

He wouldnt sound as good as he does on the CD

Advertisement