Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kid Goes Viral Because Of Accent (VID)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I'm so confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

the guy in the youtube clip is completely taking the piss.. and he is very good at it.

We'd put on exaggerated accents like that amongst ourselves sometimes, just for the craic.

The other thing that sounds funny is whistling your 's' words when talking like that... and the old 'aye' on an in-breath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Sh*t.

For a glorious moment, I thought he was genuine.

Good acting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I think he's great! The free state thing made me laugh, I've never heard anyone say that. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Can anyone translate what he said?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Can anyone translate what he said?

Well, thr.. th'Moler siz we hed tae go anywi, wi hadn much eh a chuice in th'mat'er, but shur ow..

Oooh gode y'wouddin b'long in geytin frostbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

He sounds nothing like Ian Paisley, it's a genuine County Derry accent!!:mad:

He does in fairness, huge similarity. A bit less raspy though. Like a friendly Ian Paisley. :pac:

The Free State comment was very good alright. Some character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

At least UTV have someone when Julian retires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Macavity. wrote: »
    He does in fairness, huge similarity.

Not to nor'westerners like tBM. He doesn't sound like Paisley to me either - I have cousins, not far from where he lives, with a similar accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

My power flurries through the air into the ground
    My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
    And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
    Oh Ya wouldn't be long gettin' frost bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

mikom wrote: »

My power flurries through the air into the ground
    My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
    And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
    Oh Ya wouldn't be long gettin' frost bit.

I'm never going back to them free state Bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's funny where some slang comes from when you think about it. A popular saying around here is 'if you want the winter to pass quick buy dear kent land', 'kent' coming from the Cockney rhyming Duke of Kent for rent, and rented land was traditionally paid for in the spring. How a word borrowed from that dialect wound up in our vocabulary is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The Free state thing is common enough, a lot of my NI friends say it a lot, normally followed by Bastard :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was in NI on a bank holiday weekend and went for a coffee,... I said you are very busy and he said ay its a bank holiday in the free state we get a lot coming for the weekend, it was only then that it struck me that they have different bank holidays that here and that it really is a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I like the cut of his jib. Fair play to him, he will go far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

For those ignorant few(!) - he's putting the accent on. It's a piss-take.
    He has a youtube account where he does many impersonations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The Free state thing is common enough, a lot of my NI friends say it a lot, normally followed by Bastard :p

That's complete rubbish, you're taking the piss now.....we know you have no friends.... ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Seen this on my newsfeed the other day, I know the area well, and apparently he's a budding impressionist/comedian.

I think utv thought they had some young eccentric (dim) lad heading to school.....

Turns out the joke was on them.

Ps...... His onscreen accent is nothing like a real north Derry one.

Seen this on my newsfeed the other day, I know the area well, and apparently he's a budding impressionist/comedian.

I think utv thought they had some young eccentric (dim) lad heading to school.....

Turns out the joke was on them.

Ps...... His onscreen accent is nothing like a real north Derry one.
    Of course it isn't. Because he isn't from North Derry. :p

Have to laugh at all these comments about his accent not being real, its slightly embellished but real nonetheless. I doubt not many of you have spent much time around places like Feeney, Cranagh and Plumbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

He sounds like my dad when he's lampooning his own accent(he comes from just outside Raphoe).Hope he does well whatever he does in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Quite amusing, but that sounds like a normal enough wilds-of-Donegal twang to me, hi! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

jimgoose wrote: »
    Quite amusing, but that sounds like a normal enough wilds-of-Donegal twang to me, hi! :D

There are many Donegal accents - some soft some not soðŸ˜

Madam wrote: »
    There are many Donegal accents - some soft some not soðŸ˜

The Irish dialect up there is magnificent - it sounds like Mandarin! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Of course it isn't. Because he isn't from North Derry. :p

Have to laugh at all these comments about his accent not being real, its slightly embellished but real nonetheless. I doubt not many of you have spent much time around places like Feeney, Cranagh and Plumbridge.

I count anything North of Maghera = North Derry (as in County Derry)

Park, Feeney, foreglen etc, then you have drumsurn (sur)

I'm a south Derry man, but nowhere near Derry city (55 miles away)

I've a few exes from that neck of the woods though ;) showing my age now, but we all use to converge around slaughtnaile on a Fri night, then it was clubland/Glenavy etc in Cookstown on a sat night.

Jesus..... That's almost twenty years ago now...... :eek:

jimgoose wrote: »

Not the wilds Jim, the best land in the county is where you'd hear that accent. There's a swathe from the Lagan Desert through Llifford/Strabane on up through Donemana and Draperstown to the northern slopes of Glenshane where that accent is common.

You're in Banjo String country once you cross over Glenshane though. Literally. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't really know what you are picking up on in this video. I'm English and to me he sounds exactly the same as every other Irish person.

If you think he sounds like a person from cork or north inner city dublin then you have no ears. Im Irish and I could barely understand what he was saying.

I don't really know what you are picking up on in this video. I'm English and to me he sounds exactly the same as every other Irish person.

I know what you mean. I'm Irish and Sarf London ("Cant's 'avin' a fackin girrawrf annat, innit!?") sounds identical to Newcastle-upon-Tyne ("Eeee oooo 'oway tha' day wor lad, Ah wur 'ungry laaahk, Ah'm gannin' yarm! Toooon!!") :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

any Donegal / Derry / Tyrone boards folk ever hear the expression 'I seen me...' or 'on one's errand...' ?

You would hear both those expressions frequently where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was in NI on a bank holiday weekend and went for a coffee,... I said you are very busy and he said ay its a bank holiday in the free state we get a lot coming for the weekend, it was only then that it struck me that they have different bank holidays that here and that it really is a different country.

So it was the fact that they have different bank holidays that made you realise that it's a different country...not the fact that you were using a different currency?

Advertisement