Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's with all the freaking ads on YouTube?

Options
  • 21-01-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

As per thread title.....

Watching this 13 minute video, and according to the little yellow bars of doom, i'll be subjected to two ads before the things up.

I know its a free service, and that they need to butter their bread somehow, but this is excessive.

I'd actually pay €50 not to see ads for a year.

Thoughts?

Correction: A 20 seconds unskippable video ad, a skipable ad, a banner ad on loading and a banner pop-up midway.
    4 Ads in a 13 minute video. ****ing seriously?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Adblock

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

CruelCoin wrote: »
    As per thread title.....

Watching this 13 minute video, and according to the little yellow bars of doom, i'll be subjected to two ads before the things up.

I know its a free service, and that they need to butter their bread somehow, but this is excessive.

Thoughts?

Think they are bringing in an ad-free subscription model.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

CruelCoin wrote: »
    As per thread title.....

Thoughts?

Isn't it down to the host of the video to establish adding those ads to generate revenue? I may be wrong, but yeah they are f**king annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oryx wrote: »
    Adblock

Does that work with Youtube ads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Birneybau wrote: »
    Does that work with Youtube ads?

Yes. Who has a browser without adblock these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Have you watched BBC your whole life?

drumswan wrote: »
    Yes. Who has a browser without adblock these days?

Me :(
    Tell me of your ways oh wise internet masters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

from what I've heard in podcasts, youtube are constantly looking at ways to avoid adblock kicking in, ideas such as having the ads hardcoded into the video itself, to paid subscription models to avoid ads.

It was bound to happen since google bought it, im amazed it hasn't been accomplished yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Cormac... wrote: »
    Me :(
    Tell me of your ways oh wise internet masters

google adblock, click on install

I feel like a bit of an idiot now :pac:

Both for not having Adblock and not just googling it there :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Been many years since I've seen an ad online!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Cormac... wrote: »
    Isn't it down to the host of the video to establish adding those ads to generate revenue? I may be wrong, but yeah they are f**king annoying

You are correct. As far as I am aware, Youtube suggests a set based on their video and then the uploader can choose to accept these, or decrease (or increase) them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you use Firefox, Adblock Edge is the version to go for.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You think those people make videos for the crack or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Been many years since I've seen an ad online!

Shake and Vac: Put the Freshness Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Lo and behold, adblock worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Youtube still has ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

If you use chrome/Firefox/Opera install Magic Actions for Youtube. Also blocks ads but has lots of other useful features like auto preselecting your choice of Resolution, Video window size, enhanced buffering of videos, adjust volume with mouse scroll wheel etc etc

http://www.chromeactions.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Just follow the instructions to install this YouTube video downloader script (for Firefox, requires the Greasemonkey extension), then just directly download YouTube videos from the download button added to YouTube pages - no ads, no annoying pauses/caching, and you can select the highest quality version; just have to wait for the download.

Advertisement