Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

did you find out if your grandad owned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

did you find out if your grandad owned it?

No, I suppose there was no way of finding that out but the surname isnt that common so its possible he did.

aren't you curious? go back to that restaurant and find out...i'm sure your granny or parents would know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not quite creepy either, but near the end of mass on Ash Wednesday, I was thinking about the hymn Tantum ergo, and the priest started singing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

fryup wrote: »
    aren't you curious? go back to that restaurant and find out...i'm sure your granny or parents would know

It was a few years ago, the restaurant isn't there anymore but I regret not asking the staff if I could keep the book cover. My grandparents are all dead now but I said it to my mother at the time. They would have had beano books in the house so its possible but could also just be coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

Lovely story airyfairy, that was definitely your grandad saying hello from the spirit world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

branie2 wrote: »
    Not quite creepy either, but near the end of mass on Ash Wednesday, I was thinking about the hymn Tantum ergo, and the priest started singing it!

I love synchronicity like that. Life is full of it when you're paying attention :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Sleep Paralysis.Do you think its linked as to whether you can see ghosts

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lizheen

Not really creepy or unnerving, more of a coincidence but strange all the same. About 2 weeks after my granddad died I went to a new restaurant in town with some friends. The restaurant menus where inside the covers of old childrens books - like hard back Beano book covers with the menu attached inside, the book covers where recycled as they had childrens scribbles and drawings on them. So I opened my menu only to find my granddads full name signed in on the inside cover.

Not dissimilar and also not creepy – just a happy coincidence – but when I was a kid, we had a set of encyclopaedia (not very well known, Newnes Pictoral Knowledge Encyclopaedia and Atlas) – but it was missing Vol 2, which really irked me.

As a student, I passed the Mansion House one day, and they had an antique book fair on, so being a bit of a booklover and never having been at a book fair before, I wandered in for a gander. Wasn’t there long; randomly wandered; and I remember rooting casually through a box at one stall – and to my amazement, the box had Vol 2 of the encyclopaedia set we had.

I am convinced it was the actual original from our set as otherwise, why would the seller have had just that one? Our set belonged to my grandparents and I guess when they moved to Westmeath, somehow that volume got forgotten and wound up in the hands of a bookseller.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Please tell me you bought it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I remember Newnes Pictorial Knowledge!

A childrens' encyclopaedia.

10 Volumes, illustrated mainly with black-and-white photographs. I think Volume 9 had the Greek myths and folklore legends in it: And the last Vol was an Atlas.

I learnt a lot of my early education from them!

Thanks for the memory, @Lizheen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

look out....its about to get all poop fetish hereabouts :eek:

• look out....its about to get all poop fetish hereabouts :eek:

nGMrD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

So

Just this minute - I have a little office off the kitchen - I went out to the back of the kitchen where the air fryer is to put on a few sausages for meslef while I do a bit of work before bed on the laptop.

When I went out, the handle of the back door was down, its always down as my mother cant lock it because its a bit warped and stiff, I usually lock it before bed.

It was definitely down, went to collect said sausages and the handle is up, not tight, but up!

I never touched it!

Odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

dubstarr wrote:

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

ardinn wrote: »
    So

Just this minute - I have a little office off the kitchen - I went out to the back of the kitchen where the air fryer is to put on a few sausages for meslef while I do a bit of work before bed on the laptop.

When I went out, the handle of the back door was down, its always down as my mother cant lock it because its a bit warped and stiff, I usually lock it before bed.

It was definitely down, went to collect said sausages and the handle is up, not tight, but up!

I never touched it!

Odd

Maybe the handle got the opposite of morning wood?
    Night wood.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Can anyone explain this? Any random person could come into my head and I would be thinking about them then days later they are dead! This has happened several times down through the years!

Then yesterday my sis in law came into my head and I was day dreaming thinking if her relationship with her boyfriend broke down she could move in with us, now she has being in a very happy relationship for ages... She phones my wife last night asking to stay as she's split up with the boyfriend!!!

Stuff like this always happens and it's freaking me out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Truckermal wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this? Any random person could come into my head and I would be thinking about them then days later they a re dead! This has happened several times down through the years!

Then yesterday my sis in law came into my head and I was day dreaming thinking if her relationship with her boyfriend broke down she could move in with us, now she has being in a very happy relationship for ages... She phones my wife last night asking to stay as she's split up with the boyfriend!!!

when that happens I pray, hard and long, for that person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Can anyone explain this? Any random person could come into my head and I would be thinking about them then days later they are dead! This has happened several times down through the years!

It's called confirmation bias. How often do you think of someone and nothing happens? You only remember the times something does happen and not countless times that nothing happens.

Dont think ofm e,dont think of me:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

I woke up one morning to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor at the end of my bed. At first I was afraid, I was petrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If my mother dreams about you - get your sh1t together coz your dead a few days later!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I had a really strange dream about someone I didn't know, and it came true . Also met either his brother or doppelganger in unusual circumstances. Nothing dramatic or interesting came of it so it seems these things don't have a point or a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

dubstarr wrote: »

Anything 'paranormal' that happens just before sleep or just before/when you wake up more than likely would be sleep related and not in anyway paranormal. Sleep paralysis is also known as the old hag syndrome because people sometimes feel something is holding them down. when the body is technically paralysed, ready for sleep, but the brain is still active you can imagine and see all sorts of things as you are half asleep. So - it isnt linked to seeing ghosts, but it is linked to people thinking they did

maccored wrote: »
    Anything 'paranormal' that happens just before sleep or just before/when you wake up more than likely would be sleep related and not in anyway paranormal. Sleep paralysis is also known as the old hag syndrome because people sometimes feel something is holding them down. when the body is technically paralysed, ready for sleep, but the brain is still active you can imagine and see all sorts of things as you are half asleep. So - it isnt linked to seeing ghosts, but it is linked to people thinking they did

I only ask because i had sleep paralysis a few times in the past few months.And i havent had it in years.And i seen the shadow upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep, but I usually predict it years ahead.... I’m not psychic but I can just read people and situations like a book. It’s a great self defense mechanism to stay clear of assholes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    That reminds me of a similarly weird situation with my youngest, I'm sure I posted it before but not tech enough to find it. She ran down a path past my car in front of me, I was calling her back but she kept going with me running after her. The path turned at a right angle and as I ran around after her she was gone. I looked all around, was calling her in a panic, I actually thought she had hidden on me. There was no sign of her. I turned and went back the way I came and there she was standing back at the car. She 100% had not passed me on her way back to the car and the path was the only route to take. She told me she had not seen me either on her way back. I still can't figure it out till this day.

Sounds like you saw her doppelgänger

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its coincidence, nothing else.

How many people come into your head and nothing happens to them? Lots more I'd guess if we actually were able to measure it.

Its like people seeing numbers repeating. I myself often see 12:34, but don't put any great store in it despite having a reason to. Because I realise that as often as I see 1234, I see countless other combinations of other numbers but take no heed of them cos I don't see any reason to.

Its just all random, you aren't displaying any special talent.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

of late i always seem to wake up at 4.44 in the night..kinda freaks me out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and again, you probably don't always wake at 4.44.....get my drift?

Advertisement