Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭amacca

Of course it is, but it's equally insane to do something that you know will ignite anger in a huge section of society for no good reason but to make fun of their beliefs.

What if their beliefs anger me? What rights do I have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I am anti Islam. I'm not anti muslim.

Are you not the type to accuse people of victim blaming? Yet here you are rationalising or attempting to give validity to the reason a guy chopped the head off an old lady.

Have a word with yourself white Jesus (offensive to some by the way)

No you are completely missing the point, even though i spelled it out in black and white.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So if you choose to marry a certain girl, is it ok for me to mock her to you because she's chubby or ugly but it's your belief that she's not ?
    It's not OK, but one shouldn't expect that somebody have their head cut off by a knife over it. That is the action of a primitive.
    No that's a really silly comparison come on.
    Actually it's quite the apt comparison.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Depressing times, these past few years. Not all Muslims are terrorists – but most terrorists do happen to be Muslims. It's just a fact. Don't behead the messenger. And I know 'one man's terrorist, is another man's freedom fighter' and all that jazz, and that is true to an extent - but it doesn't apply to Radical Islam, beheading innocent civilians in a church is not 'freedom fighting', it's an abomination of all that is good in the world. It is the lowest of the low. The dirt on my shoe is Godly in comparison, God bless the dirt on my f***ing shoe - for it is a higher entity than the twisted f***er who perpetrated this, and the hundreds of similar attacks - all in the name of 'peace'.

Religion of peace, indeed.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only women not showing their hair and bodies and plenty of ways around it.
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only gay couples showing affection in public and plenty of ways around it.
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only consuming alcohol in a bar and plenty of ways around it
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only going to church and plenty of ways around it.
    Why purposely try to upset people, its only being Jewish and plenty of ways around it.

This is the road you go down when you start trying to appease extremists. Nothing is good enough for them but a total erasure of the western way of life. Is that ok with you? Also, victim blame much?

what your saying is so much worse than your alleged victim blaming slur on me which is incorrect, again as i have spelled out.
    why you people can't see that is strange to me.
    Much like the traveller threads, people can do and say what they like about muslims/travellers as if they are all exactly the same, sub human.
    and no warnings, yet i have had some really lame ones(warnings) in others threads over nothing.
    Funny that

• Advertisement

No you are completely missing the point, even though i spelled it out in black and white.

No I am not. You said printing pictures of Mohammad was terribly upsetting for the poor Muslim lad and was looking for trouble.

To that I reply, ask my hole. It takes a special kind of indoctrination to make someone upset at a picture but absolutely fine with carving a head off a granny.

Animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

In any democracy you should be be allowed make fun of any sky god you like in my considered opinion.
    You have offended C'thulu and you shall pay the ultimate price on the day of reckoning. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Again in Nice - 4 years ago a truck rammed through people for Bastille Day.
    The driver Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, killed 86 people and injured of 458 others.
    Not one had done a single thing to provoke the attack.

I'm willing to bet not one killed today did anything to provoke the attack.

Just in, the mayor names today a terrorist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

what your saying is so much worse than your alleged victim blaming slur on me which is incorrect, again as i have spelled out.
    Much like the traveller threads, people can do and say what they like about muslims/travellers as if they are all exactly the same, sub human.
    and no warnings, yet i have had some really lame ones(warnings) in others threads over nothing.
    Funny that

I said extremists, not Muslims. Are you denying that extremists have attacked people for doing those things?

I'm sorry but saying that the teacher was "asking for trouble" IS victim blaming.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's not OK, but one shouldn't expect that somebody have their head cut off by a knife over it. That is the action of a primitive.

Actually it's quite the apt comparison.

never said it was ok wibbs perhaps read what i actually said,
    and no the comparison is that of a child or a buffoon.

• Advertisement

and no warnings, yet i have had some really lame ones in others threads over nothing.
    Funny that

I've spelled out that I have no issues with Muslims

I do have issues with Islam

I do have issues with people who come to the west and feel justified to slaughter old women because they don't like a picture.

I do have issues with anyone who even remotely "understands" why they felt the need to do it.

If you feel so strongly about your God, **** off to a place where laws prevent him being ridiculed.

No I am not. You said printing pictures of Mohammad was terribly upsetting for the poor Muslim lad and was looking for trouble.

To that I reply, ask my hole. It takes a special kind of indoctrination to make someone upset at a picture but absolutely fine with carving a head off a granny.

Animals.

You are totally missing the point, and using language of a neanderthal with not mask that fact.

You are totally missing the point, and using language of a neanderthal with not mask that fact.

You take more of an issue with my neanderthal language (a misnomer by the way) than you do about the freedom to print a picture that may offend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Better to use the language of a Neanderthal, than excuse the actions of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I find it hard to believe that an otherwise ''normal'' person can commit such acts over a picture. There are millions of Muslims in France and around the world that live in peace, and live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Any Islamist terrorist taken alive should be killed by a female and fed to pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

France should resurrect Robespierre and Danton, fire up the Guillotine, and get cracking on these practitioners of extreme peace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭thegetawaycar

WTF is wrong with some people, justifying a killing based on the fact there was a cartoon drawn.

It's very disappointing and complete crap to see people writing that we should never comment or draw Mohammed as it might draw a backlash. If these people don't like living in a country where people have freedom of expression then there are numerous countries that are Islamic kingdoms they can live in.

That religion is treated different to all others in terms of how the radicals are defended and I have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

Do you hope they will spare your head for last, ThewhiteJesus?

A woman has been decapitated, and two others have been killed, during a knife attack inside the Notre Dame Basilica church in the French city of Nice.
    Entering a place of worship to kill people inside?
    Clearly a religious hate crime. Glad they got the racist that did it.

• Advertisement

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.
    Does it mean it's ok to murder, of course not but it's looking for trouble imo

Did the elderly parishioner who was beheaded show pictures of Mohammed?

"Mostly peaceful" Church service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes lets not have cartoons that offend people. Lets bow down to the horror of killing old ladies in a church.

Absolutely disgusting that anyone could justify such behaviour.

Fair play to France and it's secular democracy long may it continue and have the bravery to stand up for the free speech and democratic ideals that their republic was founded on.

I am so very old I can actually remember when there were no Islamist terror attacks anywhere in Europe.
    It was in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Oh no. Are the Quakers acting up again?

No it's catholics I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I wonder will this turn out to be linked to Erdogan's bluster in the last few days, or is it linked to the more ...eh...traditional...Islamic terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Did the elderly parishioner who was beheaded show pictures of Mohammed?

The most harmless person that could be found. Could he not find a baby in a buggy to kill.

The idea of what he did to an elderly woman in a place of worship is disgusting.

Muslim organisations are coming out against it and yet you have people saying oh you shouldn't have shown the cartoon. You have to expect trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I wonder why do some people choose to live in a country that aggravates them to the point that they think beheading and killing people are acceptable.

I'm not religious and I couldn't live in a strict Islamic country. That's not coming from a racist position, I just couldn't fit in with the culture, it's too different to what I have been used to. I don't want them to change, just wouldn't want to live in a country like that.

The same should apply to Islamic fundamentalists in Europe. If you find the culture so jarring then just don't f**king live there. Life is too short to be miserable, angry and full of hate.

Anyone who condemns this atrocity but adds the slightest caveat about publishing cartoons, is NOT condemning it. They are condoning it despite what they say.

There should no mention of cartoons with this. No soft bigotry of low expectations. Violence is never justified. This needs to be a line in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

it's awful, but then i completely disagree with showing pictures of Mohammed when it's a clearly a very personal and upsetting thing for any muslim to see. Why purposely try upset people, it's only one image and plenty of ways around it.
    Does it mean it's ok to murder, of course not but it's looking for trouble imo

People like you should go live with the savages, instead of forcing us all to change our ways for the savages.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement