Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thick chimney smoke in garden..What would you do ?

• 28-10-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Sorry, this probably isnt the right place to put this... i live on a hill in the centre of a town and have been having a problem with major smoke resting in my garden from the house 2 doors up from me every time they light their fire !

It is so bad there is no possibility of opening up my back door or window until it eventually clears.. which can be up to 45mins it has been going on for a long time but i always just accepted it and did nothing.. but now that we are back to the colder weather its all happening again within minutes of them lighting up !

How could i go about approaching them over it.. i am so nervous it will start hassle with my neighbours.. i mean its not like they can stop lighting their fire.. should i just put up with it and say nothing ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What are they burning.
    Turf,Smokey coal, timber,?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Wonder what they are burning and has their chimney been cleaned as that could be dangerous.
    If it is so bad maybe contact them as they might not know how bad it is.

Contact your local council

Issues with excessive smoke from domestic wood burning can be reported to the local council. They can issue smoke abatement notices for residents who do not make an effort to prevent excessive emissions of wood smoke.

Unsure if this applies to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sorry, this probably isnt the right place to put this... i live on a hill in the centre of a town and have been having a problem with major smoke resting in my garden from the house 2 doors up from me every time they light their fire !

It is so bad there is no possibility of opening up my back door or window until it eventually clears.. which can be up to 45mins it has been going on for a long time but i always just accepted it and did nothing.. but now that we are back to the colder weather its all happening again within minutes of them lighting up !

How could i go about approaching them over it.. i am so nervous it will start hassle with my neighbours.. i mean its not like they can stop lighting their fire.. should i just put up with it and say nothing ??

Move ?
    I’m sorry to be so harsh and it’s probably not the right forum for it alright !

You can’t stop them lighting their fires

Are you renting the house or do you own it ?
    If you are renting it then you have your answer for sure.
    If you own it there still isn’t much you can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

greasepalm wrote: »
    Wonder what they are burning and has their chimney been cleaned as that could be dangerous.
    If it is so bad maybe contact them as they might not know how bad it is.

Contact your local council

Issues with excessive smoke from domestic wood burning can be reported to the local council. They can issue smoke abatement notices for residents who do not make an effort to prevent excessive emissions of wood smoke.

Are you sure these apply in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hollister2020

What are they burning.
    Turf,Smokey coal, timber,?

Pretty sure it is coal ! Couldnt be 100% though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Had this problem, anytime we lit the fire the smoke would sometimes end up in the neighbours garden. Their house was on above ours on a hill. Chimney was cleaned two or three times a year. They wanted us to build an extra five feet to our chimney. Told them no, I wasn't paying for that, just didn't entertain them after that

km79 wrote: »
    Move ?
    I’m sorry to be so harsh and it’s probably not the right forum for it alright !

You can’t stop them lighting their fires

Are you renting the house or do you own it ?
    If you are renting it then you have your answer for sure.
    If you own it there still isn’t much you can do!
    Moving is definitely not an option im afraid !

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Had this problem, anytime we lit the fire the smoke would sometimes end up in the neighbours garden. Their house was on above ours on a hill. Chimney was cleaned two or three times a year. They wanted us to build an extra five feet to our chimney. Told them no, I wasn't paying for that, just didn't entertain them after that

I do appreciate from your opposite perspective..i definitely wasnt going to ask them to go to any extreme lengths like adding to their chimney !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Pretty sure it is coal ! Couldnt be 100% though !

If it’s coal they use they could use smokeless coal then but some of it is pure sh1te. If it’s turf or timber and they have sheds full of it that’s a different story.
    The old polish coal is stink but there’s savage heat off it.wouldnt leave a fire grate or baffle in the country.burns them through and warps them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PsychoPete wrote: »
    And why not? You were causing a problem for your neighbour, who had a legitimate grievance. They were entitled to ask you to take whatever means was necessary to rectify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭blackbox

Smokey coal is banned in all urban areas with more then 10,000 people.

If you live in one of these areas, you could get their supplier investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Atmospheric conditions i.e cold/still will cause smoke to settle also a cold chimney, as you say it clears after a time. Not much to be done.

Walk around a French rural village in winter and smoke will be low down all day long pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Atmospheric conditions i.e cold/still will cause smoke to settle also a cold chimney, as you say it clears after a time. Not much to be done.

Walk around a French rural village in winter and smoke will be low down all day long pretty much.

I think this comes under " what can't be cured must be endured.." Only 45 minutes and with the bad weather less need to open doors and windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We always seem to have a smell of smoke inside our house here in Dublin, Blackrock in the evenings. Seems to be coming in through the vents. I have no idea where it is coming from and there is no sign of smoke coming from any of our neighbour's chimneys.

Grew up back in the 1950's when everyone lit a fire in the evenings. We didn't pay much attention to it then, just accepted it. This year it is the first time in years that I have noticed it. Very unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fjsadlkjf

I'm late to this discussion but I have the same issue in Dalkey. I can't open the windows in winter after midday for the smell of burning fossil fuels. I've contacted the council who advised that unless I'm prepared to pinpoint neighbours and be prepared to take them to court, they can't to anything about it. Pointless as the problem is not one or two neighbours it's rampant in the wided Dun laoghaire area. Most of the perpetrators are probably unaware of the dangers of burning fossil fuels, smokeless or otherwise. Lethal but in-vogue wood burners are boasted about in this town. Education is key. Rant over!

Advertisement