Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Costs involved with setting up your first home after you purchase the home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would you end up spending much on cleaning stuff, vacuums and so on?

Depending on how many bells and whistles you want, you could spend €500 on a vacuum.

But you can get a reasonable one for 100 - 150.

Adding some mops, buckets, cleaning products will bring you up to about €200 easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

wench wrote: »
    Depending on how many bells and whistles you want, you could spend €500 on a vacuum.

But you can get a reasonable one for 100 - 150.

Adding some mops, buckets, cleaning products will bring you up to about €200 easily enough

€200? That seems high. They are only a few euro each mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

€200? That seems high. They are only a few euro each mostly

Decent products cost money. If you don't want to be replacing mops/buckets etc regularly then you could easily spend €30ish for quality items that won't break, as well as buying all your cleaning products, could easily add up to €50.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Decent products cost money. If you don't want to be replacing mops/buckets etc regularly then you could easily spend €30ish for quality items that won't break, as well as buying all your cleaning products, could easily add up to €50.

You don’t need to buy a separate cleaning product for everything though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You don’t need to buy a separate cleaning product for everything though

Not just the cleaning products though - mop, bucket, rubber gloves, sweeping brush (maybe 2, I’ve a yard brush for outside), dustpan and brush, toilet brushes, cloths, it does add up quite quickly when you’re buying it all at once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

What appliaces store are good for TV, Washing machine, kettles, Microwave etc? D.I.D vs Harvey Norman vs Curry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

What appliaces store are good for TV, Washing machine, kettles, Microwave etc? D.I.D vs Harvey Norman vs Curry?

All depends on budget
    Miele for a washing machine
    Expensive, extremely heavy but built to last
    As to stores not much difference
    Pick appliance you want and check each store
    One item might be cheaper in DID another in Harvey Norman and another in Power city
    Watch out for sales and check delivery charges ,a 20 euro saving might be wiped out by a dearer delivery charge
    If you buy a few bigger appliances in the one shop you may be cheaper hiring a van for a few hours
    Go car are surprisingly cheap for a van for a few hours
    One tip ,if you buy a fridge or fridge freezer make sure it is standing up for 24 hrs before you plug it in to allow gases to settle

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

davo2001 wrote: »
    Spend more than €500 on your bed and mattress, a good bed and especially a good mattress are worth there weight in gold long term.

Sorry but 500 for a mattress is asking for trouble get a decent one your back will thank you😇

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

omeara1113 wrote: »
    Sorry but 500 for a mattress is asking for trouble get a decent one your back will thank you��

As I have said before spend big money on shoes and mattresses
    You spend 16hrs in one and 8hrs in the other
    Be under no illusion the difference a good nights sleep can make to every aspect of your life
    Work performance ,mood, relationships ,sex life are all better with regular quality sleep
    I would be looking at a 2000 euro mattress minimum
    That's normal retail price ,they are often on sale
    I would not touch one of those roll up mattresses
    How much will you spend on a sofa that you do not spend as much time in ???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

jlm29 wrote: »
    Not just the cleaning products though - mop, bucket, rubber gloves, sweeping brush (maybe 2, I’ve a yard brush for outside), dustpan and brush, toilet brushes, cloths, it does add up quite quickly when you’re buying it all at once

When my daughter and family were buying a new house I bought a big washing basket .Every week while shopping I bought something .Cloths , brushes, soap, dettol, floor wipes, washing powder , shampoo, salt, sugar, toilet roll, fairy liquid, etc etc .The basket was over flowing .
    I did this for months and the day they moved in I gave it to them and they said it was the best present ever !!
    Maybe anyone preparing to move could do this for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

One thing to make sure you get done first after appliances is to tile your shower

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    When my daughter and family were buying a new house I bought a big washing basket .Every week while shopping I bought something .Cloths , brushes, soap, dettol, floor wipes, washing powder , shampoo, salt, sugar, toilet roll, fairy liquid, etc etc .The basket was over flowing .
    I did this for months and the day they moved in I gave it to them and they said it was the best present ever !!

I ding I only need a few different cleaning products but I do have a couple of different types of cloths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

iamwhoiam wrote: »

What a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Ha most people talk about 7k for solocitor and stamp duty but you need an extra bob..minimum 5kish tbh. couch, bed, appliances, cleaning products,curtain, lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I have just added off the top of my head what we have spent. At the moment we are hitting about 13k

Granted new build but that only covers floors and carpets, blinds dining furniture and one couch. Then general kettles/microwave/washing machine/some crockery and cutlery. We had alot of that before we moved and also had all our own beds etc. All other kitchen appliances came with the house.

We have another 1k soon for additional tiling in all bathrooms. To fit out the living room with couch/flooring/some built in units we have a rough cost of 9k. We still dont have any light fittings and no decor whatsoever.

ebayissues wrote: »
    Ha most people talk about 7k for solocitor and stamp duty but you need an extra bob..minimum 5kish tbh. couch, bed, appliances, cleaning products,curtain, lawnmower.

Sometimes Dunnes have offers on cleaning stuff so I stock up then. Last time I got 2 bottles of bleach, couple of kitchen and bathroom sprays and a bottle of cream cleaner all for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I'd be pretty organised on stuff like this, and I like excel, so I kept a pretty detailed tracker when we were buying a couple of years ago. Not sure how the formatting will copy since I'm copying from excel, so apologies if it's all over the place! :o

Legal fees:
    Stamp duty
    Solicitor's fees
    Land registry and searches
    Building survey
    Valuation fees

It's 1% for stamp duty and then approximately another 1% for everything else combined.

Furnishing and other costs:
    We listed every room in the house and all the items we thought we would need to buy for each of them and allocated a rough budget. For the likes of the kitchen, there was so much small stuff, it wasn't even about the budgeting, just a way of reminding ourselves of everything we needed!

The below totals about €21k. Ended up being not far off what we had budgeted. Forgot some stuff, decided we didn't need others, some cost more than expected, some less, etc. but it generally evened out. We also noted the items that weren't urgent and didn't buy those right away until we were sure we had the money; probably had everything on this list sorted within 6-9 months of moving in.

General
    Arrange professional cleaning €250
    Arrange moving in date and book van €150
    Change door locks once keys received €300
    Get chimney swept €70
    Get smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm €50
    Get boiler serviced and new timer fitted €150
    Lawnmower €350
    Ladder €100
    Robovac €300

Master bedroom
    King bed €300
    Mattress €700
    Duvet, pillows * 2 and mattress protector €120
    Fitted king sheets * 2 €50
    Sliding wardrobes €1,500
    Chest of drawers €500
    Bedside lockers * 2 €300
    Lamp * 2 €50
    Curtains * 2 €300
    Repair walls and paint room €250
    Light fitting €100

Master bedroom en-suite
    Shelves/freestanding unit for storage €50
    Bin €10
    Towel rails (1 for hand towel; 1 for bath towel) €30

Bedroom 2
    Double bed €250
    Mattress €250
    Bedside lockers * 2 €200
    Lamp €25
    Wardrobe and chest of drawers €400
    Curtains * 2 €300

Bedroom 3 (downstairs)
    Double bed €250
    Mattress €250
    Bedside lockers * 2 €200
    Lamp €25
    Light fitting €100

Bedroom 4 / fun room
    Sliding wardrobes €2,200
    Light fitting €75

Home office
    Desk * 2 €300
    Chair * 2 €300
    Lamp * 2 €50
    Monitor * 2 €240
    Keyboard * 2 €30
    Rug * 2 €100

Main bathroom (upstairs)
    Hand towel rail €15
    Bin €10

Hall (upstairs)
    Repair walls and paint room €300

Bathroom (downstairs)
    Bin €10

Utility room
    Washer €350
    Dryer €450
    Hand towel rail €15

Kitchen/dining room
    Table and 6 chairs €1,000
    Curtains (dining room) €200
    Blinds (kitchen & patio door) €200
    Fridge freezer €850
    Oven €600
    Hob & extractor €500
    Microwave €150
    Kettle €40
    Toaster €40
    Dishwasher €200
    Bins €20
    Crockery set €100
    Tea/coffee holders €18
    Large bowls €20
    Cutlery set €30
    Mug tree and mugs €50
    Glasses €50
    Salt and pepper shaker €15
    Sugar bowl €10
    Chopping board €10
    Spice rack €10
    Kitchen roll holder €5
    Baking set €50
    Teapot €30
    Utensil holder and tongs, spoons, ladle €15
    Apron €11
    Oven mitts €5
    Silicon mat (for hot pots/pans) €10
    Mat (inside patio doors) €15
    Knife sharpener €10
    Steamer €25
    Dish drainer €10
    Mop and bucket €10
    Brush €7
    Ironing board €50
    Dining room console table €200

Living room
    Large two seater sofa €700
    Two seater sofa €600
    TV €500
    TV stand €100
    Lamp €50
    Side table * 2 €120
    Rug €75
    Cushion * 6 €60
    Coal/turf storage €30
    Fireplace accessories (including ashes bucket) €40
    Curtains * 2 €300
    Art commissioning €100

Hall (downstairs)
    Table €100
    Mirror €100
    Welcome mat €20
    Sideboard for under stairs €350

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Padkir wrote: »
    I'd be pretty organised on stuff like this, and I like excel, so I kept a pretty detailed tracker when we were buying a couple of years ago. Not sure how the formatting will copy since I'm copying from excel, so apologies if it's all over the place! :o

Legal fees:
    Stamp duty
    Solicitor's fees
    Building survey
    Valuation fees

It's 1% for stamp duty and then approximately another 1% for everything else combined.

We listed every room in the house and all the items we thought we would need to buy for each of them and allocated a rough budget. For the likes of the kitchen, there was so much small stuff, it wasn't even about the budgeting, just a way of reminding ourselves of everything we needed!

The below totals about €21k. Ended up being not far off what we had budgeted. Forgot some stuff, decided we didn't need others, some cost more than expected, some less, etc. but it generally evened out. We also noted the items that weren't urgent and didn't buy those right away until we were sure we had the money; probably had everything on this list sorted within 6-9 months of moving in.

General
    Get chimney swept €70
    Lawnmower €350
    Ladder €100
    Robovac €300

Master bedroom
    King bed €300
    Mattress €700
    Duvet, pillows * 2 and mattress protector €120
    Fitted king sheets * 2 €50
    Sliding wardrobes €1,500
    Chest of drawers €500
    Bedside lockers * 2 €300
    Lamp * 2 €50
    Curtains * 2 €300
    Light fitting €100

Master bedroom en-suite
    Shelves/freestanding unit for storage €50
    Bin €10
    Towel rails (1 for hand towel; 1 for bath towel) €30

Bedroom 2
    Double bed €250
    Mattress €250
    Bedside lockers * 2 €200
    Lamp €25
    Wardrobe and chest of drawers €400
    Curtains * 2 €300

Bedroom 3 (downstairs)
    Double bed €250
    Mattress €250
    Bedside lockers * 2 €200
    Lamp €25
    Light fitting €100

Bedroom 4 / fun room
    Sliding wardrobes €2,200
    Light fitting €75

Home office
    Desk * 2 €300
    Chair * 2 €300
    Lamp * 2 €50
    Monitor * 2 €240
    Keyboard * 2 €30
    Rug * 2 €100

Main bathroom (upstairs)
    Hand towel rail €15
    Bin €10

Hall (upstairs)

Bathroom (downstairs)
    Bin €10

Utility room
    Washer €350
    Dryer €450
    Hand towel rail €15

Kitchen/dining room
    Table and 6 chairs €1,000
    Curtains (dining room) €200
    Blinds (kitchen & patio door) €200
    Fridge freezer €850
    Oven €600
    Hob & extractor €500
    Microwave €150
    Kettle €40
    Toaster €40
    Dishwasher €200
    Bins €20
    Crockery set €100
    Tea/coffee holders €18
    Large bowls €20
    Cutlery set €30
    Mug tree and mugs €50
    Glasses €50
    Salt and pepper shaker €15
    Sugar bowl €10
    Chopping board €10
    Spice rack €10
    Kitchen roll holder €5
    Baking set €50
    Teapot €30
    Utensil holder and tongs, spoons, ladle €15
    Apron €11
    Oven mitts €5
    Silicon mat (for hot pots/pans) €10
    Mat (inside patio doors) €15
    Knife sharpener €10
    Steamer €25
    Dish drainer €10
    Mop and bucket €10
    Brush €7
    Ironing board €50
    Dining room console table €200

Living room
    Large two seater sofa €700
    Two seater sofa €600
    TV €500
    TV stand €100
    Lamp €50
    Side table * 2 €120
    Rug €75
    Cushion * 6 €60
    Coal/turf storage €30
    Fireplace accessories (including ashes bucket) €40
    Curtains * 2 €300
    Art commissioning €100

Hall (downstairs)
    Table €100
    Mirror €100
    Welcome mat €20
    Sideboard for under stairs €350

Great List thanks.

Side Note, Your Curtain supplier obviously had his curtains open, because he definitely saw you coming the prices listed above!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Side Note, Your Curtain supplier obviously had his curtains open, because he definitely saw you coming the prices listed above!

€300 for made to measure curtains of decent quality is quite reasonable (assuming they're made to measure).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Great List thanks.

Seriously? €300 for made to measure curtains is cheap!

I do have a friend who was quoted something like €14k for curtains for her whole house (which obviously she did not go with) which is expensive, and a far cry from €300.

By all means do list the suppliers who do made to measure for less than €300!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I spent 100k on mine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    I spent 100k on mine

On?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Great List thanks.

I wouldn’t think it’s dear at all, and since they don’t mention poles I’d say it could be supply and fit, so it’s actually quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

L1011 wrote: »
    On?

Another house!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Any particular brands recommended for kitchen appliances?
    I've heard Miele is pretty good but a bit on the expensive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah just buy the basics for now. We all did that back in the day.

I lived on a spongy sofa thing with a discarded bamboo three piece on the side for a year or so donated by my family who wanted to get rid. And then my aunt won a gangload of peat briquettes through some milk delivery promotion and donated them to me. They had to go into the tiny front room. The only peat storage with a carpet LOL. But saved me a mint as I had a solid fuel (think open fire) back boiler back then.

I survived with second hand this and that, and interest free credit for the bigger ticket items like electrical.

I don't think things have improved much now, joking, course they have but am still of the view that you buy what you can afford NOW and luxury is muck to other people.

Any particular brands recommended for kitchen appliances?
    I've heard Miele is pretty good but a bit on the expensive side.

Miele is the top of the range which is fine if you are willing and able to spend that sort of money.
    For a washing machine and dryer I’d go with Bosch or Samsung if you want middle of the road.
    Dishwashers you can’t go too far wrong. Go Miele or Neff if you want high quality, other than that I’d look at Bosh/Siemens or maybe Whirlpool
    Cooker depends what type you have. Belling used to be the top pick but not so any longer apparently. I’d look maybe Electrolux or Zanussi
    Fridge Freezer, again you can’t go too far wrong depending on your budget. I’d stay away from the like of Beko and that but otherwise whatever you can afford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Great List thanks.

I think for most rooms we got them a lot cheaper (we had no idea of the cost of them having never bought curtains before then). But then one or two rooms where we got thermal blackout curtains they were a bit dearer so it all evened out in the end.

Sleepy wrote: »
    If your new property has a utility / laundry room remember that no-one is likely to be looking at your washing machine / dryer. You can pick up refurbished units on adverts for €100 or so that you'll get a few years out of. When we bought, I picked up a washer dryer for €50 from a chap moving out of a nearby apartment that lasted us over 3 years - pretty much the life expectancy of any of the budget priced electrical stuff you'd get from the major stores. Aside from a few notable exceptions (which you can discern from the price-tag on them e.g. Miele) most branding on electrical goods is meaningless: a lot of the "quality" brands you remember from your childhood have been bought and sold multiple times and often it's literally only the brand-name itself that's been bought, the vast majority of this stuff is made as cheaply as possible in order to be sold as cheaply as possible and designed to only last 3 to 5 years (just beyond the warranty basically). The days of a fridge or a washing machine lasting 25 years are long gone unless you're spending really top money.

This can be a false economy, even buying new budget brands they can use significantly more energy than the higher end appliances. For something like a dryer if its running every day or a few time a week minimum you could be using a lot more electricity. It can easily be calculated if (if you have details on the energy rating on something second hand)

Personally buying this type of stuff second hand would not be a route I would even consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Padkir wrote: »

Legal fees:
    Stamp duty
    Solicitor's fees
    Building survey
    Valuation fees

General
    Get chimney swept €70
    Lawnmower €350
    Ladder €100
    Robovac €300

Master bedroom
    King bed €300