Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being wished happy birthday by text when it's seen on Facebook

• 22-05-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I don't like it when people see it's my birthday on Facebook and then text you instead of putting it on your wall it's like they don't want other people to see that they've wished you Happy birthday for some reason. What are other people's thoughts on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I don't like it when people see it's my birthday on Facebook and then text you instead of putting it on your wall it's like they don't want other people to see that they've wished you Happy birthday for some reason. What are other people's thoughts on this

Some people don't like post on fb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would see a text as more personal to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

People care enough to wish you happy birthday and you have an issue that it's not part of the X people posted on Y's wall to wish them happy birthday count? Any particular reason this bothers you?

I appreciate all birthday wishes regardless of medium. It's not a popularity contest.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm reading too much into this

Yes you are. Relax and be happy that people think enough of you to wish you a happy birthday, irrespective of how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I would see a text as more personal to be honest.

Same. I would never wish my friends a happy birthday on Facebook, I would always text or call. Facebook is a place for old school pals, colleagues and extended family!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I never understood people over 18 caring about their birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

The only benefit of Facebook is that it keeps those still stupid enough to use it off the rest of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Caranica wrote: »
    . It's not a popularity contest.

A popularity contest is exactly what it is!
    A text is nicer than a Facebook message. I’d send close friends a text but just casual acquaintances or workmates a FB message

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Me and my friends have stopped posting on FB for peoples birthday. We send it via messenger. Actual Facebook usage is dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

(Belated) Happy Birthday, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

You need to ask yourself why does it matter to you. Are you feeling unloved or are you wanting the wall full of birthday messages to show everybody how important you are?

You need to find your motivation for caring about such a trivial issue, what are the benefits to you? Remember it's very likely people outside your immediate circle will not give an iota of thought to your well being. All the facebook stuff is very fake and staged. You are just a person like every other person on it.

Theres a song by a fella called bright eyes where he spends the song facing death but right before it happens he has the epiphany that he should stop worrying about all the crap he worries about that hes not that important, and it was then he was truly happy.

Let go of the ego, it is your enemy, try do good in the world, take an interest in people ask them what they did the weekend but not in an effort to steer the conversation towards what you did, let the conversation go where they want it to go. They might wish you happy birthday every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ax530

I always thought people who post happy birthday on FB walls do so as they they level of 'friend' who wouldn't have phone number for the birthday person.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Floricwil

A text is way nicer imo. Posting On Facebook can be very impersonal I think.

Advertisement