Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

@Danno - I'm curious as to why you use mph for wind speed.

I grew up with using miles and continue with them as I'm familiar with them from the get go. Interestingly, I'd use metres in place of yards but would use feet also!

It's complicated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Eireann's meteogram has gone a bit mad lately, showing thunderstorms for hours and hours, even for here:

NqVJQZe.png

Not the first time they have showed this in recent days. Must be something to do with a change in an algorithm or something, but one that is highly misleading.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danno wrote: »
    I grew up with using miles and continue with them as I'm familiar with them from the get go. Interestingly, I'd use metres in place of yards but would use feet also!

It's complicated! :D

I generally use knots for windspeed, though I am cool with MPH. Cannot comprehend Km/h to be honest, it makes little sense to me but that is something I am cool with as well.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann's meteogram has gone a bit mad lately, showing thunderstorms for hours and hours, even for here:

Not the first time they have showed this in recent days. Must be something to do with a change in an algorithm or something, but one that is highly misleading.

Going to be a wild night here!

met.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Someone in Ballyjamesduff text me to say they heard a few rumbles of thunder but it has stopped now.

• Advertisement

17.8°c and 14.7°c dewpoint. Balmy. Dark sky to my E and NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just for interest, the Met Éireann aviation chart for 18Z shows the following details for the eastern half of Ireland covered by a slow-moving occlusion:

Widespread 6 km, moderate rain/light rain & drizzle,
    Occasional 3 km, heavy rain/moderate rain drizzle/moderate thunderstorms
    Isolated fog/mist

Tipping down rain in south Laois. Notably misty with the moderate rain. 2.4mm according to the AWS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Just for interest, the Met Éireann aviation chart for 18Z shows the following details for the eastern half of Ireland covered by a slow-moving occlusion:

Isolated fog/mist

Their app seems to be stuck on thunderstorms today for my part of the East but not a peep

• Advertisement

Heavy rain in southern Laois now... 7.4mm on the AWS and it keeps coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

My water barrels were down to about a quarter , they're now full again from the heavy showers an hour ago . It's just light spitting rain here atm , in town .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Just 1.2mm in Arklow
    But its steadier and darker clouds to the east
    Sky has that uk smog haze look about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

The drought has well and truly ended, had some impressive downpours since 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

Drought over here too. I'm going to enjoy watching everything green up/bloom after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

ME rainfall radar makes tomorrow and saturday look like winter storm levels of rain. How miserable.

I'm guessing there's little to no chance of lightening or else the thread would be full of technical discussion and all those various maps people get from idk where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Their app seems to be stuck on thunderstorms today for my part of the East but not a peep

There won't be the hint of a spark anywhere.

Isolated fog/mist

They now have pretty much the exact same thing in their 00Z chart too, except the area now covers everywhere except Kerry and West Cork. Seems like a bust forecase on both accounts.

AWS now 10.2mm in south Laois - the third day since March 17th to breach 10mm, and in fact 4mm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There must have been a spark somewhere as power gone in Mountmellick since 6pm. I heard a transformer pop and fizz. I was sure it was a firework being let off!

Anyway, open fire, camping kettle, and a bit of patience and now I can hardly stay awake. Ate like a King, campfire coffee and now the steady drone of summer rain. Bliss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Hailstones in terenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

theballz wrote: »
    Hailstones in terenure.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

No power returning in Mountmellick now until 530am.
    Between Covid and this, the whole town is gone to bed since 1030 (observer excepted).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

sweet_trip wrote: »
    I'm guessing there's little to no chance of lightening or else the thread would be full of technical discussion and all those various maps people get from idk where.

More of a darkening today, very dull out there. Looking at the radar where I am in North Kildare, there could be persistent moderate rain for a few hours. When it eventually clears there will hopefully be some lightening. No chance of lightning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

highdef wrote: »
    More of a darkening today, very dull out there. Looking at the radar where I am in North Kildare, there could be persistent moderate rain for a few hours. When it eventually clears there will hopefully be some lightening. No chance of lightning though.

I'm glad to see that since the recent thunderstorm activity and the resultant traffic on this thread, the incidence of lightening has declined quite a bit, and we're seeing much more lightning. The message is getting through. Now....if there was some way to get people to start spelling the word 'lose' without the extra o, it would be a wonderful thing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that since the recent thunderstorm activity and the resultant traffic on this thread, the incidence of lightening has declined quite a bit, and we're seeing much more lightning. The message is getting through. Now....if there was some way to get people to start spelling the word 'lose' without the extra o, it would be a wonderful thing! ;)

Some people are too loose with their use of their primary language.

Getting this back on track. No lightning yesterday but I have a friend who lives on the Black Sea coast and yesterday he contacted me for a weather forecast, they were under a level 1 from estofex. They had a lot of storms first half of the day yesterday.

NOTE: This thread has gone waaay off topic. Please stop pulling people up on their spelling, it's not helpful to this type of forum.

Thank You.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

In the post frontal air mass Sunday signs of potential for sporadic quick moving thunderstorms and heavy localized rainfall .

Passage of a trough ( looks negatively tilted ) coinciding with peak diurnal heating. Good low level shear, Deep layer shear present but not as strong as later in the day on the current charts , decent lapse rates. Cold upper pool of air, DP's 12 or 13C.

Looks like most activity in the Northern half of the country especially towards Northern counties.

ECM Skew T near Dunshaughlin , for Gonzo !

Very hit and miss I would think very hard to pinpoint.

vCetrDe.png

70u8Sed.gif

KySo3pE.png

OBvNZMp.png

oeNu8V1.png

wuUrtNf.png

nCcKLcy.png

ECM Skew T near Dunshaughlin , for Gonzo !

Meteorite, where do you get the ECMWF soundings?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Meteorite, where do you get the ECMWF soundings?

On meteologix, press the balloon icon , see below . They are available up to about +70 hrs.

I'll trade you :) where do you get the Sigmet charts , available to public?

https://meteologix.com/ie/model-charts/euro/ireland/significant-weather.html

Pu0qbhc.jpg

Advertisement