Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looks like Cork City has a small enough chance of sparks, not the highest though. Mostly north cork and west cork see the biggest changes of sparks

Once again. But I have hope! Looking forward to exciting weather this weekend, if only pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're welcome to WC if the noise and light show is out here. Go storm chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Once again. But I have hope! Looking forward to exciting weather this weekend, if only pics!

Might just have to play my videos from the 2018 one in the background and hope it makes up for the lack of thunder as I look out at the rain! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite clammy here in South Laois and the sun is breaking through. Clouds are bubbling up high.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Another area showing up with potential is around Waterford late tonight/ early Sunday morning. Should get heavy rain going through, might become electrified.

ECM showing around Kerry, W Cork and W Limerick with huge CAPE readings of 1337 j/kg tomorrow , Li -4

Nice convergence and orographic lift should produce big storms with huge localized rainfall and possible hail.

Skew T for an area near Ballydesmond on the Kerry / Cork Border tomorrow .

RI43KPl.png

HPr8sdE.png

Zbk1XRR.png

moTOuIn.png

u8Vrpl6.png

WhzgztF.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

None of the airport TAFs has a mention of thunderstorms from now till 12Z tomorrow (excluding Knock, which is closed and iss not being issued TAFs).

The aviation chart for 12Z today shows an area encompassing England, Wales and northwestern France, with a trough lying across southwestern Wales and moving northwestwards at around 10 knots. In this area weather is described as occasional heavy rain showers/thunderstorms, embedded in fronts and troughs. Wexford and Waterford would be first to get this trough later today, however so far no lightning is showing up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

the hierarchy of terminology in forecasting thunderstorms in ireland.

intense thunderstorms
    isolated thunderstorms
    heavy thundery rain
    thundery bursts of rain

chance of thunder
    slight risk of thunder
    nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

the hierarchy of terminology in forecasting thunderstorms in ireland.

intense thunderstorms
    isolated thunderstorms
    heavy thundery rain
    thundery bursts of rain

chance of thunder
    slight risk of thunder
    nothing.

And we usually end up with
    Nothing....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if the GFS is correct things don't really kick off till this evening, but overall the risk looks downgraded somewhat, particularly tomorrow.

This evening:
    12-505UK.GIF?13-6

Sunday:
    33-505UK.GIF?13-6

Tuesday:
    84-505UK.GIF?13-6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Looking at the radar and sat24. It looks like we might actually get some Welsh imports in wexford later on.

• Advertisement

And looking out the door. Cumulus nimbus are building up nicely along the Blackstairs up to the Wicklow mts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I see the stuff on the Wicklow mountains
    It's a very weak effort though
    The heat energy is really not there for much convergence
    In my experience too,northeaserly's in summer tend to de electrify welsh imports aswell as throw them off course for the fishes

Have had oceans of rain here in Arklow past few days so happy enough I'd expect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Some ominous looking clouds starting to bubble up now in East Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tony H

Fairly nice claps of thunder over Cobh at the moment no lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

Big rumble in Cork City

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I see the stuff on the Wicklow mountains
    It's a very weak effort though
    The heat energy is really not there for much convergence
    In my experience too,northeaserly's in summer tend to de electrify welsh imports aswell as throw them off course for the fishes

Have had oceans of rain here in Arklow past few days so happy enough I'd expect
    I was going to say look southeast at that dark sky but that I didn't think they'd be any sparks.
    But with the last few posts..??

Anyway.. Gwan Cork.!! :D

Rumble of thunder cork city now. Probs the last of it! Haha edit: or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I was going to say look southeast at that dark sky but that I didn't think they'd be any sparks.
    But with the last few posts..??

Anyway.. Gwan Cork.!! :D

Yeah it's a northeast flow
    So that would veer showers away from the east coast if they originate in mid or south wales
    But it's enough to get convergence going over cork
    Colder air meeting warmer air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tony H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Power cut reported near the location of that Cork storm

• Advertisement

Seems to be getting closer to me, rain is picking up. These are some long rumbles.

Edit: pelting down now but rumbles seek to have stopped.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yeah it's a northeast flow
    So that would veer showers away from the east coast if they originate in mid or south wales
    But it's enough to get convergence going over cork
    Colder air meeting warmer air

Is that low over Cornwall heading this way?
    Seems to be edging this way?
    Few sparks in that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some development off southeast Angelsey now, yet to spark but could be interest for south Dublin, north Wicklow in the next couple of hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Have we got ignition ?

H5W7Zhk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

We've had flashes of it in Cork and the skies have opened and the rain is bucketing down. Some of the strongest rain I've ever seen there for a few minute period

Nice line of convection getting going along Southern coasts

EGvlbW8.gif

Bucketing down in cork city. Thunder is gone but this is definitely the heaviest rain I've seen in months.

Edit:Gutters overflowing like madz huge puddles already, floods already. Holy this is a really heavy downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Bucketing down in cork city. Thunder is gone but this is definitely the heaviest rain I've seen in months.

Edit:Gutters overflowing like madz huge puddles already, floods already. Holy this is a really heavy downpour

Having just moved into an old top floor attic conversion, I thought the loud rain was just me. It's nice when you have candles lit and a warm blanket.

Still, I'm very annoyed at the weather here since 1st of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thunder in North Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That was an change from the past few months. Nice rumble of thunder and heavy rain. It's brightening up again now in cork city.

Advertisement