Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Good comeback by Eng for their last couple of wickets. Still, all to play for - lot depends again on Smith and middle order. Assuming play is possible and if they can bat through a good bit of tomorrow, it'll swing their way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BarryD2 wrote: »
    t'll swing their way.

depending on the weather it may be swinging both ways....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is Bairstow worth his place in the team?

No, and neither is Wade in the Aussie case (nor feckin Paine on current form!)

Wade takes the biscuit though, what in the name of holy bejesus is he doing in the Aussie team?

Didn't get to see much of the action today but glad to see its still nicely poised, Warner gone is a relief to England but that man of course still being there is going to give some of them a restless night tonight.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Oh and I will just go ahead and assume now that it will be just about playable there tomorrow with plenty of cloud overhead to help England :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bairstow is worth his place in the team on his batting. Yes there have been suggestions of Foakes as he's a better keeper and not a bad batter. look at Bairstow's record over the past few years though, and it's quite clear he would be in ahead of Buttler and Stokes as a batsman, and there was quite a lot of talk of making him an opener with Roy given the way they played in the WC. The only real way they could have done that would have been to make Buttler keeper, and it would have been risking Bairstow failing (which I suspect would have been a probability rather than possibility), when he has been so successful at test level as wicketkeeper/batsman

Of course, I would say all of that, as I am a Yorkshireman. Equally I would love him to be playing regularly for his county as he is so incredibly talented (in the WC he was far and away England's best outfielder and I suspect could have been called on to bowl if required - his dad was also able to tun his arm over with a few FC wickets as well as playing football for Bradford City)

• Advertisement

Bairstow has been poor as a Test batsman for a while now tbf, his short form batting is not an issue but he has been scratching around in Tests, he is down to what? 7th now? Himself and Moeen are on their last legs in that team....though then again, given the way the England selectors are, maybe not?

He isn't exactly a whole lot better than his competition as wicket keeper either.

He's averaging 14 in his last 8 innings, most of those v Ireland and the WI.

8,0,0,2,14 make up his last 5 innings in test cricket.

Decent start this morning by this pair, keeping the runs ticking along and not giving up too many chances. But who knows, things can change very quickly if Eng get a break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Australia all over England and Smith has the game at his control.

Moeen Ali looks short of confidence and isn't bowling with much zip and with Anderson probably done for the series, things aren't looking good for England right now as the lead continues to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

VillaMad wrote: »
    Australia all over England and Smith has the game at his control.

Moeen Ali looks short of confidence and isn't bowling with much zip and with Anderson probably done for the series, things aren't looking good for England right now as the lead continues to build.

Hard to know until Lyon bowls whether the wicket will be as hard to bat on as England may fear.

However showers are forecast from about 4pm today and tomorrow looks a washout until lunchtime.

I'd back a draw from here.

Another ton for Smith. He is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

He is just a fantastic Test cricketer.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Hard to know until Lyon bowls whether the wicket will be as hard to bat on as England may fear.

However showers are forecast from about 4pm today and tomorrow looks a washout until lunchtime.

I'd back a draw from here.

Another ton for Smith. He is incredible.

Two great innings from Smith, two great centuries. I wonder will the forecast come into play and how reliable is it.. If it holds true, maybe an acceleration now from Aus, declare when it starts to change and let Eng take their chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Two great innings from Smith, two great centuries. I wonder will the forecast come into play and how reliable is it.. If it holds true, maybe an acceleration now from Aus, declare when it starts to change and let Eng take their chances?

Australia would surely want a lead of 250-300 before declaring with a full days play left. They are still some way of that. So yeah they'd need to accelerate.

bilston wrote: »
    Australia would surely want a lead of 250-300 before declaring with a full days play left. They are still some way of that. So yeah they'd need to accelerate.

They won't want to lose from this position but I suppose the question is, do they want to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Plenty of time left for Aus to decide how they want to tackle this. they’ll bat the day at the very least and I can’t see England scoring 250 runs in a day on this pitch without taking significant risks.

Iirc, the win predictor had it at 75% for England when Steve Smith came to the crease yesterday and now we’re talking about how badly do Aus want to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Smith is some player. Has complete control over his game. Australia in control of this now but a draw is most likely I think

Two consecutive century partnerships is pretty convincing batting it has to be said.

New ball - next ten overs or so will tell. If things go the way they are, surely Aus will see if Wade can get his ton and a lead of 300+, then head off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Smith is some player. Has complete control over his game. Australia in control of this now but a draw is most likely I think

Totally unflappable, apart from the loose swish that got him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Wickets aren't easy to get on this pitch and they shouldn't be easy for Australia either if England bat sensibly, a draw is very realistic providing England don't behave like headless chickness.

Lyon's a good bowler but aint Warne or Murali. This is a slow pitch as well so plenty of time to see the ball.

If Matt Wade, a scrub test batsman who averages a paltry 28, has the look of getting a century then England really have no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Wickets aren't easy to get on this pitch and they shouldn't be easy for Australia either if England bat sensibly, a draw is very realistic providing England don't behave like headless chickness.

Lyon's a good bowler but aint Warne or Murali. This is a slow pitch as well so plenty of time to see the ball.

If Matt Wade, a scrub test batsman who averages a paltry 28, has the look of getting a century then England really have no excuses.
    In all fairness to wade, the captaincy and bowling from England is poor, like root is on for a bowl with a five over new ball, like wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I love cricket. When I was about 9, my family went on a family holiday to Chester in 2003. The cricket world cup was on and was on in all the bars we went in to for some grub and in the hotel bar etc. Everyone was getting mad in to it. Ireland Cricket wasn't even on people's mind at that stage. Then the 2005 ashes came and as a young lad off school I watched nearly every ball. Even hogging the radio on our family holiday in France to listen to it on Long Wave when we were driving places. Irish Cricket got big around 07 obviously with the qualification for the world cup. The ashes is different gravy though. One of the best events in the sporting calendar in any given year. The GAA is on today, as is the community shield but it's the ashes on in my gaf.

Obviously it's not a topic worth getting in to but we had Rankin, Morgan and Joyce play for England. Even Porterfield tried but couldn't manage it. But we can produce good cricketers. Very good cricketers. I'm sure we have more people playing cricket now than we did at the time Stirling and Morgan etc started playing. So you'd think the chances of us producing world class players is higher.
    It's a pity the world cup is reduced to 10 teams as even 12 would have had us there and the public would have been exposed to the sport and more people play.

It would be great if we could establish ourselves in the 8th to 10th best test cricket nation in the world, fair enough we're a bit away from that. Would be great if every so often we had a 3 match series against England the nation could get behind, a mini ashes so to speak and we were even somewhat competitive.

Similarly if Scotland and the Netherlands could push on it would be great for cricket in Europe. This T20 series between the 3 is a great step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

cosatron wrote: »
    In all fairness to wade, the captaincy and bowling from England is poor, like root is on for a bowl with a five over new ball, like wtf

Broad is probably f*cking knackered with England being a bowler down since the morning on day 1.

And with Ali's figures being 107-1 I can't blame Root for turning to the part timers.

Depends on how much play there is, doesn't it. Lead heading towards 300 very quickly. Another quick 50 and declare with an hour to have a go at Eng top order?

Another fine century, though Wade gave up a stumping chance at one stage didn't he.

Wade falls - I wondered were they trying to make a third century partnership? Really dispiriting for any bowling attack. Surely Aussies must attack now for a few overs and declare.

Surely Paine has to declare soon - not to do so would be cowardice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

What time is cricket ending?

Paine gone OTT and played too safe, should have stuck Eng in at least half hour ago. Outside fear of losing has overcome desire to win. Sad. Won't have any sympathy if they come up short tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Sorry for being a dunce but why wouldn't Australia want to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

A little late alright in declaring but, on the plus side of it, by posting an entirely unachievable total we get to see all the odd fields resplendent with slips, a gully, and several silly individuals because they don’t have to worry about giving up runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's all set up for the inevitable England collapse tomorrow now, unfortunately. Smith is some talent, he has singlehandledly put his team in a position to win this match.

Advertisement