Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

i enjoy the boo-ing. its add to the atmosphere and i dont think its malicious. all in good fun and adds to the spectacle. plus smith prob thrives off it.

do you really think michael clarke would have broken his arm? it was sledging IMO but we can agree to disagree

anyway, lets hope for a goods days cricket today with plenty of ebbs and flows

Edgbaston is always a very rowdy crowd as well. The Hollies stand is more like a football stand than a cricket one. I watched an ashes test there and listened to them sing "Ten men went to bed, went to bed with Shane Warne" for an entire day.

The fact i was surrounded by men dressed as undertakers and wearing fake boobs just added to the atmosphere:D

I think the thing to note from yesterday though, was that they booed smith when he came on, booed his century, but gave him a standing ovation when he went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

i enjoy the boo-ing. its add to the atmosphere and i dont think its malicious. all in good fun and adds to the spectacle. plus smith prob thrives off it.

do you really think michael clarke would have broken his arm? it was sledging IMO but we can agree to disagree

anyway, lets hope for a goods days cricket today with plenty of ebbs and flows
    To be fair, I never said that Clarke would actually do it. It was verbals; all sledging is. Take the famous Eddo Brandes "biscuit" comment to Glenn McGrath; you don't seriously think that's based on factual events, do you? Stuff is said out in the middle that I'm sure players cringe when they look back on it.

Aegir wrote: »
    Edgbaston is always a very rowdy crowd as well. The Hollies stand is more like a football stand than a cricket one. I watched an ashes test there and listened to them sing "Ten men went to bed, went to bed with Shane Warne" for an entire day.

The fact i was surrounded by men dressed as undertakers and wearing fake boobs just added to the atmosphere:D

I think the thing to note from yesterday though, was that they booed smith when he came on, booed his century, but gave him a standing ovation when he went off.
    Headingly as well. The western terrace, on a hot sunny saturday, with the crowd full of beer, is not a place for the faint hearted. I think there's a perception among some Irish people that cricket is an upper class game, played in public schools and watched by the landed gentry. Shots of the members' pavilion and the long room at Lords, populated by old fellas in garish ties and straw boater hats would fuel that perception. But if you go to either the Hollies St stand or the Western Terrace (Trent Bridge and OT as well, actually), and you'd soon discover that there are a lot of so called "working class" cricket fans and they can get quite rowdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Wow the Aussies are useless with the DRS system. 2 of their batsmen would have saved themselves and now they let Burns off. The coaching staff should maybe teach the players the rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cant remember seeing this many umpiring errors in the first 1.5 days of a test before, not since DRS came in anyway. And Dharmasena isn't even out there.

• Advertisement

Cant remember seeing this many umpiring errors in the first 1.5 days of a test before, not since DRS came in anyway. And Dharmasena isn't even out there.
    Can't see those two getting another test this summer. They've been woeful. As they said on Sky this morning, most of the elite umpires are English or Australian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Panel_of_ICC_Umpires

That's 7 out of 12. And they can't officiate at tests involving their own countries. That rule needs to be changed. In this era, with the amount of cameras at test games, any hint of bias would be spotted a mile off. I don't think any of those umpires would be crazy enough to favour their own nations with obviously biased decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

England were dominating the day when the umpires decided that the ball should be changed.

Immediately it made a difference with Denly and Buttler going as the new ball started to show a lot more swing. Doesn't seem really fair that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Burns gets his ton. That should secure his place for more or less the rest of the series.

Brilliantly poised test match at the moment, England should get a lead, but it's unlikely to be definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bilston wrote: »
    Burns gets his ton. That should secure his place for more or less the rest of the series.

Brilliantly poised test match at the moment, England should get a lead, but it's unlikely to be definitive.

Well from their current position they would want to get at least 150 in front you'd think, which should take a defeat off the table at least.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well from their current position they would want to get at least 150 in front you'd think, which should take a defeat off the table at least.
    I don't know. 430 is still a long way off. Particularly with four of our top order back in the hutch. Nevertheless, a good recovery today after that disappointment of letting the Aussies off the hook yesterday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

England's day with a day of good old fashioned test cricket where runs and wickets were hard fought for.

They will need a substantial lead you would think though with the pitch taking a bit of spin already. You would think Lyon would be lethal in the fourth innings and you wouldn't want to chase too much.

Inquitus wrote: »

True, although to be fair when I posted the above England had just lost Butter and Denly in short order.

I still think it's in the balance. England have to bat last and Lyon is already getting plenty of turn. England won't want to be chasing 200 batting last. If Australia get them out for less than 350 then it's set up for Smith or Warner to set England a challenging target.

Equally if England bat most of tomorrow then it goes the other way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

England could bat all day, in which case they would be very well placed for a victory. Alternatively they could be all out in the first session which might just favour Australia given the likely deterioration of the pitch for the 4th innings. Even if they can keep going for a couple of sessions, I think that increases the chances of a definitive result with England then very strong favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I've been to Test matches in Lord's and the Oval (and Malahide :D) but it sounded like a lot of fun in Edgbaston today! Might have to add it to the list of grounds I want to go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Beasty wrote: »
    I think that increases the chances of a definitive result with England then very strong favourites

England are very strong favourites as it is.

England 3/10
    Draw 7/1
    Australia 8/1

Huge day coming up. If we can bat through to tea (a big "if"), and get a lead anywhere around 150-200, we'll be in a decent position. Then try to prise out a couple of the Aussie top order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good positive start from England but a very timely and much needed wicket there for Australia. Stokes looking in great shape and dangerous shape but the thinnest of edges sees him on his way. Looks suitably pîssed with himself, given the shot he played and how the game was poised and him looking in great shape.

Another falls. Poor batting, pitching a couple of inches outside of off. Never a ball to be left. A very poor non shot to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Strumms wrote: »
    Another falls. Poor batting, pitching a couple of inches outside of off. Never a ball to be left. A very poor non shot to be fair.

Very poor, expected it to grip and it didn’t.

Bairstow gone now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is Bairstow worth his place in the team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

blueser wrote: »
    Huge day coming up. If we can bat through to tea (a big "if"), and get a lead anywhere around 150-200, we'll be in a decent position. Then try to prise out a couple of the Aussie top order.

Hah, Aussies are roaring back into this. How quickly things can turn, literally! Eng to bat last facing Lyons.....

England have well and truly blown this.

Batting 4th against Lyon on this wicket.

Unless Woakes and Broad can put on 50 here I'd be putting my money on Australia.

8 down and England would bite your hand off for a lead of 50. At the start of play you have expected a lead of 150 minimum thereabouts considering the wickets in hand and the momentum the England team had. Credit to the Aussies though it’s been aggressive this morning. Both with field positions and bowling.

The Donald Trump baby costume...brilliant!

Strumms wrote: »
    8 down and England would bite your hand off for a lead of 50. At the start of play you have expected a lead of 150 minimum thereabouts considering the wickets in hand and the momentum the England team had. Credit to the Aussies though it’s been aggressive this morning. Both with field positions and bowling.

Every run really matters here.

If England have to chase 200+ then I think Australia win. Even 150-200 won't be easy.

In saying that if England can get a lead of 50 then all of a sudden Australia probably need 250+ in their second innings which won't be easy either.

This is why test cricket is still king...there are so many potential possibilities

Every run really matters here.

If England have to chase 200+ then I think Australia win. Even 150-200 won't be easy.

In saying that if England can get a lead of 50 then all of a sudden Australia probably need 250+ in their second innings which won't be easy either.

This is why test cricket is still king...there are so many potential possibilities

Yep, every run is crucial here now. Be interesting to see how Broad and Woakes play against the rested Aussie quicks after lunch. Might even suit them as Lyon has looked difficult enough to get away. They might even keep him going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They need to get rid of Smith, he's single-handedly carrying the whole Aussie team on his back.

I liked the BBC report this evening

.....while the Pope, builders, some crayons and the 1966 World Cup winning team all partied in the Hollies stand......

I still would be optimistic of England a chasing somewhere upwards of 250 yet.

Its still a good wicket, although its turning, its hardly a raging turner. Australia themselves are 124/3 proving its still a decent batting surface and bare in mind also Warner and Bancroft have chucked their wickets away.

• Advertisement

Being chased around by a load of people in ponchos and sombreros as well. :D

I think one of them was whacking him with a blow up cactus.

Advertisement