Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe thunderstorm risk for south then central Leinster, east Munster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Heavy rain starting

Newcastle Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

One rumble just :D
    You're not missing out on your Arklow holidays yet JCX XBC
    A lot of high instability though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Another loud rumble of Thunder across South Laois

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

2 minutes of massive drops of rain here in Dublin 10 and now stopped.

Just been outside and the air is amazingly fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Blitzortung reporting a number of Sferics around Lambay Island

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

All over now I should imagine
    Epic it was not

No audible thunder though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Blitzortung reporting a number of Sferics around Lambay Island

I'm in Rush, and can see Lambay Island out my window, and there's been nothing since about 7am this morning.

Thought I heard a rumble there about 5 minutes ago, but nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

antodeco wrote: »
    2 minutes of massive drops of rain here in Dublin 10 and now stopped.

Just been outside and the air is amazingly fresh

It might be cooler with the overcast but its not fresh, humidities are still very high, the air mass will change tonight and early tomorrow.

Looking at Flightradar 24, ATC is doing some unusual routing for incoming and outgoing traffic which I suspect is to avoid the weather East / north east of Lambay.

The sky around me is very volatile looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

What actually causes this narrow corridor of activity. Is it an upper cold front moving over the warmer air mass or what. I would be interested to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Radar shows plenty of thunder right overhead maybe an hour ago. Windows are open and it didn't even wake me! I'm a light sleeper, usually.

Sure if that's that and it leaves a sunny day in its wake, no problem with me.

EDIT: Just read the thread haha I slept through hours of activity and not just the thunder an hour ago. Deary me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there were a few rumbles in Dunshaughlin at 7am this morning but it sounded fairly far away. Shower here again with some very heavy drops of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It might be cooler with the overcast but its not fresh, humidities are still very high, the air mass will change tonight and early tomorrow.

Yeah showing 17.5c and 85% humidity here so by no means fresh yet.
    S cavan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The sky here looks like a typical thunderstorm day in Spain, very unusual and contrasting shapes/colours and orange-brown to grey appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was nice, looked good on the radar, but nothing spectacular is my assessment for this event here in north east Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Tis fierce close

D6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

It wasn’t spectacular, it wasn’t epic, but it was a decent effort to be fair.

FDFA2-BA6-C2-A3-4-B1-F-88-D7-EB324-FFDEB65.jpg
    image upload

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So warm under an overcast sky here in North Dublin

could be some warm sunny spells later in Dublin, maybe getting to 20 or 21C in the afternoon.

Next week temperatures look average in Dublin but probably still feeling warmer than most of this week with temperatures hitting 19 or possibly 20C at times. We wont have that cool onshore easterly wind.

• Advertisement

thunder looks to be over for most us, still a bit of a thunder storm up over Belfast at the moment, most strikes are now confined to Northern Ireland and over the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Stunning day in Galway blue sky temp 23 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Lots of bangs and rumbles here over the past hour - this would be stunning if it was dark and the lightning more visible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

snowjon wrote: »
    Lots of bangs and rumbles here over the past hour - this would be stunning if it was dark and the lightning more visible!

Again please where is here why don't people post their location

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

We've had plenty of thunder on and off from 7am this morning here in Moira, Co.Armagh.

The 7am storm this morning was the best with good CG's and lot's of booming thunder.

We had a couple of elevated storms through 11am to 1pm with good rolling, but not loud thunder due to the lightning being high up. But nice elevated CC's could be seen, and one storm dumped 5mm diameter hail in our garden.

A decent and prolonged show here today, but just want it cleared now and the sun out. It's taking it's time shifting to the east of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Again please where is here why don't people post their location
    Apologies - been a while since I last posted - thought my location was part of my profile !

I'm in Bangor, Co. Down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

It was very mild, but it reminded me of when I was in Zakopan in the Tatra mountains, Poland.
    Every morning without fail, at the crack of dawn the rolling thunderstorms, and non-stop lightning.

It was spectacular. Shame lightning is such a rarity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mortelaro wrote: »
    In my experience and I could be wrong,this is No 1985
    Different time. Different beast. Cold war weather.
    Looking at the time-line of these storms this morning, they seem to have passed through remarkably quickly, but I am glad some got to see some action in what has been a spectacularly bland (even for Ireland) summer so far.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like the 'system' has really reorganised itself leaving the east coast of Scotland now.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like the 'system' has really reorganised itself leaving the east coast of Scotland now.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Wow, just wow. I was up a mountain earlier with no shelter so for once I am glad there were no TS in the west today.

Advertisement